Search for low period oscillators
Posted: August 3rd, 2012, 3:09 pm
As I mentioned in the "Accidental discoveries thread" I started a "screening" for oscillators.
I got into it as I found WinLifeSearch 0.61 (by Jason Summers and Karel Suhajda, found here:http://entropymine.com/jason/life/software/), and tried if it would run under Wine/VBoxed WinXP.
It worked in both cases and turned up some unknown p3 oscillators. (See thread for accidental discoveries)
Because I cordially dislike Windows, and tried WinLifeSearch only out of curiosity if it would run under Wine, I will use David Bells Lifesrc.
Tropylium pointed out to me that there isn't much interest in oscillators, so no one has done a (more or less) comprehensive search.
So, I will do just that. Boundaries of my hardware seem to be approx. 20x20 squares up to a period of 4.
Actually, the real borders here are those of my patience - and they are reached after approx. 1 day. Which is the time a search with the above parameters will take.
And, even if there is not much interest in this search, there will maybe be another part of the GoL -space where the here "might be dragons"- marking can be erased.
I will use both a Lenovo ThinkPad T61 and R61 with each 3Gb RAM, 2.1 Ghz dualcores and Lubuntu Linux 12.04.
The program I used was lifesrc 3.8 by David Bell.
(Found here: http://members.canb.auug.org.au/~dbell/)
I will give the used options and the most not-redundant search results, and I will try to do a search every time one of my computers idles.
For start I will use the following parameters for a search:
-r20 -c20 -g4 -a -v1000000 -d1000000 20x20.wdf -o5 20x20.txt
(r: # of rows, c: # of columns, g: # of generations (periodicity), -a search also for subperiods, v/d/o verbosity and output settings)
This search will run over the weekend, I will post results on Monday.
(If there are any.)
I got into it as I found WinLifeSearch 0.61 (by Jason Summers and Karel Suhajda, found here:http://entropymine.com/jason/life/software/), and tried if it would run under Wine/VBoxed WinXP.
It worked in both cases and turned up some unknown p3 oscillators. (See thread for accidental discoveries)
Because I cordially dislike Windows, and tried WinLifeSearch only out of curiosity if it would run under Wine, I will use David Bells Lifesrc.
Tropylium pointed out to me that there isn't much interest in oscillators, so no one has done a (more or less) comprehensive search.
So, I will do just that. Boundaries of my hardware seem to be approx. 20x20 squares up to a period of 4.
Actually, the real borders here are those of my patience - and they are reached after approx. 1 day. Which is the time a search with the above parameters will take.
And, even if there is not much interest in this search, there will maybe be another part of the GoL -space where the here "might be dragons"- marking can be erased.
I will use both a Lenovo ThinkPad T61 and R61 with each 3Gb RAM, 2.1 Ghz dualcores and Lubuntu Linux 12.04.
The program I used was lifesrc 3.8 by David Bell.
(Found here: http://members.canb.auug.org.au/~dbell/)
I will give the used options and the most not-redundant search results, and I will try to do a search every time one of my computers idles.
For start I will use the following parameters for a search:
-r20 -c20 -g4 -a -v1000000 -d1000000 20x20.wdf -o5 20x20.txt
(r: # of rows, c: # of columns, g: # of generations (periodicity), -a search also for subperiods, v/d/o verbosity and output settings)
This search will run over the weekend, I will post results on Monday.
(If there are any.)