Methuselah into Infinite system
Posted: September 3rd, 2026, 5:56 am
Hi everyone, I’m writing a fictional book and I’m looking for some help with a Game of Life idea for symbolism and plot purposes.
I’d like to take a methuselah and somehow turn it into a pattern that grows indefinitely. However, there are a couple of things I’m unsure about:
1. Is this actually possible?
2. Ideally, I’d like to accomplish it by adding only a small, fixed number of cells at some point during the simulation. For the symbolism, it would be especially fitting if something as small as reversing a glider (fewer than 10 cells) could somehow trigger the methuselah to go completely crazy and become an infinite-growth pattern.
I’d like to take a methuselah and somehow turn it into a pattern that grows indefinitely. However, there are a couple of things I’m unsure about:
1. Is this actually possible?
2. Ideally, I’d like to accomplish it by adding only a small, fixed number of cells at some point during the simulation. For the symbolism, it would be especially fitting if something as small as reversing a glider (fewer than 10 cells) could somehow trigger the methuselah to go completely crazy and become an infinite-growth pattern.