Page 1 of 1

"Iso-Glider"

Posted: September 17th, 2011, 2:24 am
by edwardfanboy
This is code for a glider with an "iso-glider".
They both travel in the same direction and are both gliders, but they are not identical.
I have decided to tell them apart by caling 1 of them an "iso-glider".

Code: Select all

x = 9, y = 3, rule = B3/S23
bo6bo$2bo3bobo$3o4b2o!

Re: "Iso-Glider"

Posted: September 18th, 2011, 3:20 pm
by ebcube
You can see that they are the same glider offset by two generations.

Re: "Iso-Glider"

Posted: September 19th, 2011, 7:57 am
by Tropylium
He said so too, I think.

If I'm reading this right, this is about having names for the glider's two different phases. Like how the Hacker Emblem (or this site's favicon) has the shape of one phase, or the oscillator common in B3/D13,S24 rules has that of the other. I'm not sure which OP means to be "the" glider and which an "iso-glider", but I at least tend to think of the L-tetromino phase as "the" glider shape...

Re: "Iso-Glider"

Posted: October 6th, 2011, 2:31 am
by edwardfanboy
calcyman wrote:Conway referred to the 3o$o$bo! shape as a 'male' glider, and the boo$oo$bo! as a 'female' glider. With little imagination, one can identify 2-glider collisions as being either homo- or heterosexual.
I don't like it when you relate Conway's Game of Life to sex.

Re: "Iso-Glider"

Posted: October 6th, 2011, 2:40 am
by edwardfanboy
ebcube wrote:You can see that they are the same glider offset by two generations.
This is like the "difference" between sine and cosine waves.
If x is in radians:
cos(x) = sin(x + pi/2)