Page 1 of 1
Unable to run clipboard
Posted: August 30th, 2011, 1:05 pm
by 12Glider
I'm unable to run patterns straight from the clipboard. When I try, it says that I need a perl*.dll.
I was able to do it before, but now it suddenly stopped working.
Running Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Golly 2.2
Re: Unable to run clipboard
Posted: August 30th, 2011, 5:20 pm
by Andrew
It sounds like you have a pattern in the clipboard and have then selected File > Run Clipboard, but that menu item assumes the clipboard contains a *script*. Use File > Open Clipboard for pattern data.
If I'm wrong about this then show me what's in the clipboard (just the first few lines should do).
Re: Unable to run clipboard
Posted: September 2nd, 2011, 1:49 pm
by 12Glider
Thanks a bunch!
However, I'm not allowed to run Perl scripts, even though I have Perl Installed.
I entered the path to the .dll, but no dice.
Re: Unable to run clipboard
Posted: September 2nd, 2011, 5:49 pm
by Andrew
Which version of Perl do you have installed? Golly 2.2 requires 5.10 or later, and it has to be a 32-bit Perl. Did you download the ActiveState installer as recommended in Help > Perl Scripting?
If all those conditions are true and Golly still can't run Perl scripts then what exactly is the *full* path to the Perl .dll file?
EDIT: On my WinXP system the path is C:\Perl\bin\perl510.dll but I didn't have to enter that full path when Golly prompted me -- I just supplied perl510.dll and it was found ok (presumably whatever code does this looks in some standard locations, and/or in the registry information created by the Perl installer). One last thought, if you have more than one version of Perl installed then probably best to uninstall all the old/inappropriate versions.
Re: Unable to run clipboard
Posted: September 3rd, 2011, 9:28 pm
by 12Glider
I run x64 (64-bit) windows. Would an x86 (32-bit) perl be incompatible?

Edit: Downloading activestate perl, x86, 5.12.4
Hope this works.
Edit 2: Success! Perl is now working!