Page 1 of 1

Golly Python not working on linux

Posted: August 18th, 2025, 3:42 pm
by yaochen2
When I try to run a python file in Golly using Linux, it says Unexpected extension in script file: mattPatch2.py

Re: Golly Python not working on linux

Posted: August 18th, 2025, 4:06 pm
by Resu
yaochen2 wrote: August 18th, 2025, 3:42 pm When I try to run a python file in Golly using Linux, it says Unexpected extension in script file: mattPatch2.py
What python script are you trying to run?
Also, shouldn't this go in the Scripts subforum instead?

Re: Golly Python not working on linux

Posted: August 18th, 2025, 4:40 pm
by dvgrn
Resu wrote: August 18th, 2025, 4:06 pm
yaochen2 wrote: August 18th, 2025, 3:42 pm When I try to run a python file in Golly using Linux, it says Unexpected extension in script file: mattPatch2.py
What python script are you trying to run?
Also, shouldn't this go in the Scripts subforum instead?
I'll move this thread over to the Scripts forum in a day or so. If it disappears from here, don't worry, it didn't get deleted.

@yaochen2, when you write an error report along these lines, please be very careful to copy/paste as much of the exact text of the error messages you're seeing, as you possibly can. And include as much context as you can about everything that you were doing before you saw the error.

In this case, I'm thinking you might have re-typed the error message. "mattPatch2.py" doesn't sound familiar, whereas "matchPatt2.py" does have some matches in wildmyron's modified Rulesrc. Someone can help a lot more quickly if they have detailed and accurate information. Always copy/pasting instead of retyping avoids a lot of potential confusion.

The first question that seems worth asking in a thread called "Golly Python not working on Linux" is this: can you run the Python scripts that are packaged with Golly? Does goto.py work, for example?