Miscellaneous sludge
Posted: April 11th, 2025, 7:18 pm
Making another thread separate from my "playable game" thread to record fun CA things I find. I'll be messing with parameters in the engine I made for that game, but I added some other features to this particular version for purely explorative purposes. The biggest changes relate to the memory of past states for any given cell and the ability to change neighborhoods or rules every (number) frames. I made a demonstration for this post and attached it below. I have more but they're all in the other post.
The conditions of any experiment posted here will be displayed on the side of the attachment.
For example, "Born (0): 6, 4, 7" describes the rule for born cells on every first frame whereas "Born (1): 6, 3, 5" describes it for every second frame. "Surviving" only has one ruleset in the example, so it's constant. Also, rules and neighborhoods alternate independently from each other. They alternate based on how many frames have passed (typically I leave it at 1).
The neighborhoods I have are:
M=Moore
B=Checkerboard
X=Saltire
+=Cross
-=horizontal line
|=vertical line
`=top left corner
~=top right corner
,=bottom left corner
.=bottom right corner
m=Moore but every other memory is skipped
The conditions of any experiment posted here will be displayed on the side of the attachment.
For example, "Born (0): 6, 4, 7" describes the rule for born cells on every first frame whereas "Born (1): 6, 3, 5" describes it for every second frame. "Surviving" only has one ruleset in the example, so it's constant. Also, rules and neighborhoods alternate independently from each other. They alternate based on how many frames have passed (typically I leave it at 1).
The neighborhoods I have are:
M=Moore
B=Checkerboard
X=Saltire
+=Cross
-=horizontal line
|=vertical line
`=top left corner
~=top right corner
,=bottom left corner
.=bottom right corner
m=Moore but every other memory is skipped