Page 1 of 1

Okay no Golly is just haunted at this point

Posted: February 8th, 2025, 2:09 am
by d/dx
The strangest issue is happening anytime I try to use Golly on mobile. First I get a short beep, as if someone hung up, except ~200ms in length. After this beep, Golly freezes up for about 5 seconds and begins running normally. This repeats a few times. After this, a message pops up saying that Golly isn't responding, while it clearly is.

Should I get an exorcism???

Re: Okay no Golly is just haunted at this point

Posted: February 8th, 2025, 5:50 pm
by Andrew
d/dx wrote: February 8th, 2025, 2:09 am Should I get an exorcism???
Get a real computer. At some point I'm going to stop trying to support Golly on mobile devices. Apple and Google keep changing the ground rules, so trying to ensure Golly runs on their devices is a pain in the neck. Their simulators crash on my Mac, probably because they don't want to support OpenGL ES any more. Both companies are not really interested in backward compatibility -- they want you to keep buying new devices.

Re: Okay no Golly is just haunted at this point

Posted: February 8th, 2025, 6:31 pm
by d/dx
I have a real computer. I'm just interested with life-on-the-go.

Re: Okay no Golly is just haunted at this point

Posted: February 22nd, 2025, 6:54 pm
by tommyaweosme
does my google chromebook count as mobile?

i hope not....

Re: Okay no Golly is just haunted at this point

Posted: September 1st, 2025, 12:12 pm
by PK22
(This is sufficiently weird that I think it belongs in this thread)
I somehow managed to copy and paste the Golly window as a pattern?????
what.png
what.png (105.63 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
The pattern has the same size as my monitor in pixels (1366 x 768), and appears to have the scroll bar on the side and at the top, as well as the options at the top, but that's it.
I cannot remember how this happened, but has anyone encountered something similar?
Here's the pattern:

Code: Select all

x = 1366, y = 768, rule = LifeHistory
1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$
1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$
1366A6$7.12A20.6A4.6A20.6A29.3A14.2A3.5A29.3A39.3A3.3A6.3A$7.3A6.3A
20.3A7.3A3.3A16.3A2.2A14.3A12.3A14.2A3.2A32.3A39.3A3.3A6.3A$7.3A6.3A
20.3A7.3A3.3A15.3A19.3A12.3A14.3A.3A32.3A39.3A3.3A6.3A$7.3A3.6A.5A14.
3A4.13A14.3A6.5A.21A.3A14.3A.2A.3A.7A.3A.2A14.3A4.7A2.12A14.3A3.3A.
14A$7.15A.2A14.9A.9A15.3A5.3A.6A.6A.3A.3A.6A15.2A.2A.6A.4A.3A.2A14.3A
6.5A2.5A.5A15.12A.12A$7.3A3.12A14.3A3.3A.9A15.3A5.3A2.5A.6A.3A.3A2.5A
15.5A.18A14.3A4.20A15.3A3.15A2.2A$7.3A3.9A17.3A3.3A.9A15.3A5.3A2.5A.
6A.3A.3A2.5A15.5A.6A3.9A14.3A3.6A.4A.3A3.3A15.3A3.6A3.6A.3A$7.3A3.9A
17.3A3.3A.9A16.3A2.5A.6A.6A.3A.3A.6A16.3A2.6A4.3A.3A15.3A3.6A.4A.3A3.
3A15.3A3.6A3.6A.3A$7.3A3.6A.5A14.6A.9A.3A16.6A.5A.3A.3A.6A2.5A.3A16.
3A2.3A.5A.3A.3A15.12A2.2A3.8A15.3A3.3A.14A$180.2A44.3A$179.3A44.3A$
177.4A45.3A2$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$
1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$
1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$
1366A$1366A$1366A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$
1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$
1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$
1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$
390A100.875A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$
1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$
1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$
1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$
1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$
1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$
1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$
1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A
$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.
15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A
.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$
1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A
$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.
15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A
.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$
1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A
$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.
15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A
.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$
1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A
$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.
15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A
.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$
1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A
$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.
15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A
.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$
1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A
$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.
15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A
.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$
1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A
$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.
15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A
.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$
1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A
$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.
15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A
.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$
1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A
$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.
15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A
.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$
1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A
$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.
15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A
.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$
1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A
$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.
15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A
.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$
1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A
$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.
15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A
.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$
1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A
$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.
15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A
.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$
1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A
$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.
15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A
.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$
1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A
$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.
15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A
.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$
1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A
$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.
15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A
.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$
1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A
$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.
15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A
.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$
1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A
$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.
15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A
.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$
1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A
$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.
15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A
.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$1349A.15A$34A1330.A$
1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$
1365A$1365A$1365A$1365A$32A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A
$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$58A.5A.6A.1256A.7A3.4A.22A$53A.539A3.
725A.44A$53A.539A.727A.44A$53A.849A5.413A.6A.7A2.28A$53A.4A.836A2.A.
8A.39A.373A.3A.17A.22A$53A.577A4.2A9.2A4.243A.3A.7A.37A.375A.17A.26A$
53A.576A5.2A9.249A.5A2.308A2.108A.10A.33A$53A.4A.12A.558A13.252A.2A.A
.2A.330A.19A10.55A4.4A.8A2.5A.22A$630A8.86A3.169A2.2A.3A2.328A.131A$
630A3.89A.4A.168A.2A.6A.304A2.16A2.3A.17A.2A.9A.100A$896A.A.8A.320A.
5A.17A.A3.8A.100A$721A.6A.167A2.10A.319A.5A.17A.A3.8A3.98A$721A.6A.
167A.314A2.15A.5A.17A.A3.8A3.98A$896A.331A.5A.17A.A3.8A.100A$722A.4A.
168A.11A.320A2.3A.17A.2A.9A.100A$723A3.485A2.21A.131A$904A.306A2.21A.
19A10.24A.17A.5A.10A2.5A.6A.4A4.20A$900A2.440A.23A$1328A.37A$1290A.
51A2.22A$909A.380A.21A.53A$897A.430A.37A$1366A$1288A.4A4.8A.6A.9A4.4A
.4A5.3A.22A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$1366A$
1366A$1366A$1366A!

Re: Okay no Golly is just haunted at this point

Posted: September 1st, 2025, 12:25 pm
by muzik
Image data can be pasted, can it not? Are you sure you didn't hit print screen?

Re: Okay no Golly is just haunted at this point

Posted: September 1st, 2025, 12:44 pm
by PK22
muzik wrote: September 1st, 2025, 12:25 pm Image data can be pasted, can it not? Are you sure you didn't hit print screen?
This happened on my laptop, but it is noticeable when I hit print screen, as it takes a 'snapshot' of the screen and then checks what you want to do with it, and I do not remember this happening. The last thing I remember happening before I pasted the pattern was copying a pattern from a LifeViewer window.
The image data also would not explain other aspects of the image, like the fact that the top of the pattern is solid, even though it is the same colour as the below section which features the options from the top.

Re: Okay no Golly is just haunted at this point

Posted: September 4th, 2025, 2:22 am
by Chameleon
Andrew wrote: February 8th, 2025, 5:50 pm Their simulators crash on my Mac, probably because they don't want to support OpenGL ES any more.
Why doesn't problems.html list any macOS problems then?

Re: Okay no Golly is just haunted at this point

Posted: September 4th, 2025, 8:24 pm
by Andrew
Chameleon wrote: September 4th, 2025, 2:22 am Why doesn't problems.html list any macOS problems then?
That file is for the desktop versions of Golly, not the mobile versions.

Re: Okay no Golly is just haunted at this point

Posted: September 4th, 2025, 11:30 pm
by Chameleon
Andrew wrote: September 4th, 2025, 8:24 pm That file is for the desktop versions of Golly, not the mobile versions.
I thought macOS was a desktop operating system.

Re: Okay no Golly is just haunted at this point

Posted: September 5th, 2025, 5:15 am
by Andrew
Chameleon wrote: September 4th, 2025, 11:30 pm I thought macOS was a desktop operating system.
It is. The simulators mentioned in my post you quoted should allow me to test the iOS/Android versions of Golly on my Mac, but they both crash when starting up. The problems.html file you linked is not for those mobile versions (they have their own specific problems).