Page 1 of 1

Question... (Please do move to the right forum in case this actually fits anywhere)

Posted: January 11th, 2025, 1:42 pm
by State Investigator
Anyone have a .zip file of (preferrably many) Golly-compatible .rule files?
I don't really have the time or motivation to go through the list of them on LifeWiki and download them all myself, plus some that were in a zip I found in the past aren't even recognized by LifeViewer.
(For example, there was a 255-state version of Brew in the one I found, iirc it was from the Discord but I can't find where I got it from now)

Re: Question... (Please do move to the right forum in case this actually fits anywhere)

Posted: January 12th, 2025, 7:41 am
by d/dx
...what are you going to use them for???

Re: Question... (Please do move to the right forum in case this actually fits anywhere)

Posted: January 12th, 2025, 11:51 am
by LuveelVoom
d/dx wrote: January 12th, 2025, 7:41 am ...what are you going to use them for???
If I had to guess, probably to train a machine learning model?

Re: Question... (Please do move to the right forum in case this actually fits anywhere)

Posted: January 12th, 2025, 4:23 pm
by State Investigator
d/dx wrote: January 12th, 2025, 7:41 am ...what are you going to use them for???
Actually? Just kinda wanna mess with them, discover stuff tbh :D

Re: Question... (Please do move to the right forum in case this actually fits anywhere)

Posted: January 12th, 2025, 5:26 pm
by confocaloid
State Investigator wrote: January 11th, 2025, 1:42 pm Anyone have a .zip file of (preferrably many) Golly-compatible .rule files?
I don't really have the time or motivation to go through the list of them on LifeWiki and download them all myself, [...]
State Investigator wrote: January 12th, 2025, 4:23 pm
d/dx wrote: January 12th, 2025, 7:41 am ...what are you going to use them for???
Actually? Just kinda wanna mess with them, discover stuff tbh :D
I think discovering new stuff in a known CA previously researched by others will take significantly more time and more motivation, compared to finding the .rule file and reading the available documentation and discussion related to it.

Many .rule files don't even have an embedded documentation sufficient for understanding what it is, how it works and what it is good for. So one would need to read related discussion, study the patterns, etc.

Discovering new interesting stuff is usually harder than reading about what's already known.