Page 1 of 1

If you evolve the R-pentomino for 48 ticks, then how many distinct generations of the R-pentomino do you see?

Posted: December 13th, 2024, 10:43 pm
by confocaloid
If you evolve the R-pentomino for 48 ticks, then how many distinct generations of the R-pentomino do you see?

Code: Select all

x = 3, y = 3, rule = B3/S23
bo$b2o$2o!
#C [[ THEME MCell GRID ZOOM 8 HARDRESET STOP 48 ]]

Code: Select all

x = 205, y = 190, rule = B3/S23
2bo29b2o28b2o28b2o28b2o28b2o28b2o$2b2o29bo27bo2bo26bo2bo26bo2bo26bo2bo
25b2o2bo$b2o28b3o28b2o27b3o27bo2bo25b2ob2o25b2ob2o$62bo29b2o27bobo28bo
28b3o25$92bo89bo$32bo28b3o28bo28b2o28b3o27bob2o$b3o27b3o58b3o27bob2o
25b3obo25bob2o$o3bo26b2obo29b2o28b2o30bo29bo25bo2b3o$4bo25b2o2b2o24bo
4bo29b2o29bo29b2o29bo$2ob2o26b4o30bo28b2o28b3o28b2o28bobo$2bo28b3o27bo
2bo90bo29b2o$62bo22$154bo28b3o$3b2o28b2o28b2o28b2o28b3o27b3o26b2obo$2b
o2bo26bobo27bobo27bob2o26bo2bo25b2o2bo25b2o2bo3bo$2bo4bo24bo4b2o23bo2b
o2bo23bo2bo25b2o6bo21bo2bo3b3o20b4o4b2o$3b6o24b3o3bo23b3o3bo22b2ob2ob
3o21b2obo2b3o23bobo4bo21bobo3bobo$6bob2o24bo4bo23bo2bo2b2o22bo2b2o2bo
21b2o2b3ob2o20bo8bo22b2o5b2o$6bobo26b2ob2o25b2ob2o24bo5bo23b5obo22b2o
5b2o21b2o5b2o$6b2o28b2o27b4o26bo2b2o25b5o24bo28b3o4bo$96b2o28b3o26bo3b
o$157bo19$93b2o27bo2bo$4bo28b2o27b4o26b4o25bo4bo24b2o2b2o$2b2obo26b2ob
2o25bo3bo24b2ob3o24bo4bo60bo$bo3b2o25bo2b2o25bo4bobo22b2o3bob2o24b3o2b
o24b3o27b4o$5bo3b2o23b2o2b3o22bo4b3o21b2o4b3o29bo24bo2b2o29bo$bo3bo2b
2o24b3obo2bo21bo8bo20b2o2b2o26bob2o25b2ob3o3bo20b4o3bob2o$5bo3bob2o21b
3ob5o21bobobo4bo19b3o6b2o19bob2obo3b3o23bob5o30bo$5bo6bo27bob2o20bo8bo
21bo3bo3b2o18bob2o2b3o2bo23b5ob2o21b2o6bo$10bobo21bo5bobo26b2ob2o19bob
o3b2ob2o21bo2bo5bo18bo4bo2b2obo19bo3bo5b2o$3bobo4b2o22bo5b2o21b3o4b2o
22bo4b4o20b3o3bo2b2o20b2o3b5o19b3o3bo$4bo29bo59bo35b2o22bo5b3o21b2o3bo
3bo$191bo21$6b2o27bobo$5b3o27bobo$3bo61b2o28b2o27bobo$4b2o7bo19b3o27b
3o8bo19b3o7b2o18bobo7b2o20b2o6b2o20b2o6b3o$4bo2bo6bo19bo2bo5b3o28b2o
17bo9bo2bo19bo6bo2bo19bo6bo2b2o14b3o7bo3b2o$6b2o6b2o18bo10bo18b2o7bob
2o18bo7bo2bo15b4o7bo2b2o13b6o5b3o2bo13b4o7bobo2b2o$2b3ob3o4b2o17b2obo
7bobo15b2o3bo6bobo15b2obobo5b2ob2o14b2o3bo5bo2b2o14bo2bob2o4bo4bo12b2o
9bo5bo$2bo4b2o4bo17b2ob3o2bo3b2o16bo3b2o6b2o16bo4bo6b2o16bo4b2o4b4o15b
o3b3o4b5o13b2o6bo3bo2b2o$2bobo4bo23bo4bo23b4o26b5o25bo3bo24b2o3b2o5b2o
16b2o2bobo4bo$93b2o27bo23$16bo29bo28b2o18bo59bo29bo$4bo11b3o16bo9b4o
15b3o11bo16bo8b2o3bo14b3o7b2o3b2o12b3o9bo3b2o13b2o12b3o$2bo2b2o8bo3bo
14b3o6b5obo23b2o4b2o13bobo5b3o4b2o12b2o7b4o3bobo20bo3bob2obo13bo10b4ob
2o$bo3bo6b3o4bo14b3o5bo6b2o13bobo5b2o6bo12b2o6bo8b2o11b2o6bo2bo2bo3bo
13bo5bo2bobo4b2o18bobo4b2o2bo$4bo7b3obob2o21bo3bob3o13b3o5b3o2b2o2bo
11bo2bo5bobo2b5o11b3o6bo4bo3b2o19b2o2b3o2b2o19b2o7b3o$12b2o3bo14b2o8bo
bo2b2o13b2o12b2obo11bo10bo3b3o12bobo8bo3bo14bo2bo11b2o14bo12bobo$b3o
28bo28b2o28b3o27b2o14bo13bobo26b2obo$32bo89bo28b2o28b2o22$125bo29bo28b
3o$4b2o13bo14bobo13bo14bo14bo13b3o27bobo27b3o26bo3bo$4b3o13b2o11bo2bo
13b3o10b2ob2o11bo2bo11bobo12b2o12bo3bo10bob2o11b2ob2o11bobo11bo3bo14bo
$4b2o15b2o11bobo13b3o12bo13bo3bo10b3o11b3ob2o10bobo11bo3bobo9b3o12bobo
bo9bo3bo14bobo$11bo11bo17b2o6bo3bo17b2o6bo3bo17b2o6b2ob3o10bo5b2o11bo
10bo5b2o11b2o8b3o4b2o9b3o$11b2o5b5o18b2o6b4o18b2o5b2o3bo17b2o5b3ob2o
17b2o9bobo16b2o10bo7bo9b2o11bo$b2o18bo9b2o16bob2o8b2o16bo2bo8b2o15b2o
11b2o15bobo9b3o27b3o$o2bo26bo2bo26bo2bo26bo2bo25b2o2bo25bo3bo25b5o$3o
27b3o27bobo26b2ob2o25b2ob2o24bo5bo23b2o3b2o$31bo28b3o27bobo26b2ob2o25b
o3bo25b5o$91bo29bo28b3o27b3o$181bo!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-by-on ... post_error

Re: If you evolve the R-pentomino for 48 ticks, then how many distinct generations of the R-pentomino do you see?

Posted: December 13th, 2024, 10:54 pm
by eRroR_6o6
I don't see any reason it won't be 49, unless you're counting it differently or something. (I did think 48 at first and then I clicked the Wikipedia link to check what was there, and then realized.)

Re: If you evolve the R-pentomino for 48 ticks, then how many distinct generations of the R-pentomino do you see?

Posted: December 13th, 2024, 11:18 pm
by hotdogPi
I thought this was a thread about "how long before you no longer recognize it immediately as an R-pentomino".

Some of the ones in the 20s and 30s aren't recognizable to me, but once the traffic light and honey farm start forming, I see it again.

Re: If you evolve the R-pentomino for 48 ticks, then how many distinct generations of the R-pentomino do you see?

Posted: December 13th, 2024, 11:19 pm
by confocaloid
eRroR_6o6 wrote: December 13th, 2024, 10:54 pm I don't see any reason it won't be 49, unless you're counting it differently or something. (I did think 48 at first and then I clicked the Wikipedia link to check what was there, and then realized.)
I'm also counting it in the same way, and I also get 49 distinct generations (counting R = gen 0 through gen 48, inclusively).

Decided to post this after repeatedly seeing this error in discussions.

Picked the number 48, because that's the generation in which a Herschel forms, and also because 49 = 7x7 so one can arrange all the generations in a square.