Page 1 of 1

OCA Construction Challenges and Ideas

Posted: December 10th, 2024, 11:32 pm
by CARuler
can someone make an adjustable puffer based on this rule?:

Code: Select all

x = 75, y = 16, rule = Printer2
.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E.
E.E.E6$3.A.A7.A.A7.A.A.A7.A5.A5.A9.A.A.A5.A.A.A2$.A9.A5.A5.A5.A5.A5.A
5.A9.A9.A5.A2$.A9.A.A.A.A5.A.A.A7.A5.A5.A9.A.A7.A.A.A2$.A9.A5.A5.A3.A
7.A5.A5.A9.A9.A3.A2$3.A.A5.A5.A5.A5.A7.A.A7.A.A.A5.A.A.A5.A5.A$.I.I.I
.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I!
@RULE Printer2
@COLORS
0 0 0 0
1 255 255 0
2 255 128 0
3 0 145 255
4 128 128 128
5 37 89 44
6 122 140 58
7 64 128 100
8 6 120 0
9 93 0 255
10 212 0 255
11 0 0 138
12 162 0 255
13 74 69 64
14 61 66 71
15 100 90 117
16 48 48 48
@TABLE
n_states:17
neighborhood:vonNeumann
symmetries:none
0,0,0,2,0,2
0,0,1,2,0,2
0,0,0,2,1,2
0,0,1,2,1,2
2,0,0,0,0,0
2,0,1,0,0,0
2,0,0,0,1,0
2,0,1,0,1,0
0,0,0,3,0,3
0,0,1,3,0,3
0,0,0,3,1,3
0,0,1,3,1,3
3,0,0,0,0,0
3,0,1,0,0,0
3,0,0,0,1,0
3,0,1,0,1,0
4,0,0,0,0,0
4,0,1,0,0,0
4,0,0,0,1,0
4,0,1,0,1,0
0,0,5,2,5,13
0,0,5,2,0,13
0,0,5,3,5,14
0,0,5,3,0,14
0,4,9,0,9,15
0,4,0,0,9,15
0,0,10,0,10,2
0,0,11,0,10,2
0,0,10,0,11,3
0,0,11,0,11,3
0,0,0,0,10,2
0,0,0,0,11,3
0,0,9,2,9,2
0,0,9,2,0,2
0,0,9,3,9,3
0,0,9,3,0,3
2,0,9,0,9,0
2,0,9,0,0,0
3,0,9,0,9,0
3,0,9,0,0,0
6,0,0,0,0,1
7,0,0,0,0,0
0,0,0,6,0,8
0,0,0,7,0,8
8,0,0,0,0,0
8,0,0,1,0,0
0,0,0,8,0,5
5,0,13,0,13,6
5,0,14,0,13,7
5,0,13,0,14,6
5,0,14,0,14,7
5,0,13,0,0,6
5,0,14,0,0,7
9,0,15,0,15,12
9,1,15,0,15,12
9,0,0,0,15,12
9,1,0,0,15,12
13,0,5,0,5,0
13,0,0,0,5,0
14,0,5,0,5,0
14,0,0,0,5,0
15,0,9,0,9,0
15,0,9,0,0,0
0,0,0,12,0,11
1,0,0,12,0,10
11,0,0,0,0,0
10,0,0,0,0,1
0,0,0,11,0,9
0,1,0,11,0,9
0,0,0,10,0,9
0,1,0,10,0,9
12,0,0,0,0,0
12,1,0,0,0,0
9,0,15,1,15,12
9,1,15,1,15,12
9,0,0,1,15,12
9,1,0,1,15,12
0,0,0,2,9,2
0,0,0,3,9,3
2,0,0,0,9,0
3,0,0,0,9,0
0,0,0,2,5,13
0,0,0,3,5,14
12,1,0,1,0,0
0,4,9,0,0,15
12,0,0,0,0,0
12,1,0,0,0,0
12,0,0,1,0,0
9,0,0,0,0,16
9,1,0,0,0,16
9,0,0,1,0,16
9,1,0,1,0,16
16,0,0,0,0,12
16,1,0,0,0,12
16,0,0,1,0,12
16,1,0,1,0,12
2,0,16,0,0,0
2,0,0,0,16,0
2,0,16,0,16,0
3,0,16,0,0,0
3,0,0,0,16,0
3,0,16,0,16,0

Re: Construction Challenges and Ideas

Posted: December 10th, 2024, 11:44 pm
by Sokwe
CARuler wrote: December 10th, 2024, 11:32 pm can someone make an adjustable puffer based on this rule?:
I think you need to be more clear about your request. You should at least explain how the rule works and how you imagine an adjustable puffer based on it would work.

Re: Construction Challenges and Ideas

Posted: December 10th, 2024, 11:48 pm
by CARuler
Sokwe wrote: December 10th, 2024, 11:44 pm
CARuler wrote: December 10th, 2024, 11:32 pm can someone make an adjustable puffer based on this rule?:
I think you need to be more clear about your request. You should at least explain how the rule works and how you imagine an adjustable puffer based on it would work.
the rule works by having a "reader"(ship) at the bottom send a signal to the top ship which then leaves information behind for the reader to pick up again.
also, this was meant to be cgol

Re: OCA Construction Challenges and Ideas

Posted: December 11th, 2024, 12:00 am
by confocaloid
I agree that the request is unclear and should be explained. How do you think it would be possible to "make an adjustable puffer" (either in Conway's Life or in some other cellular automaton), based on the non-CGoL pattern you posted?
CARuler wrote: December 10th, 2024, 11:48 pmalso, this was meant to be cgol
"Patterns" is a CGoL-only subforum. The ruletable is obviously non-CGoL. Most CA-related non-CGoL discussions should go either into the "Other Cellular Automata" subforum (if believed to be of interest to other people) or into the "Sandbox" subforum.

Re: OCA Construction Challenges and Ideas

Posted: December 12th, 2024, 12:04 am
by CARuler
confocaloid wrote: December 11th, 2024, 12:00 am I agree that the request is unclear and should be explained. How do you think it would be possible to "make an adjustable puffer" (either in Conway's Life or in some other cellular automaton), based on the non-CGoL pattern you posted?
CARuler wrote: December 10th, 2024, 11:48 pmalso, this was meant to be cgol
"Patterns" is a CGoL-only subforum. The ruletable is obviously non-CGoL. Most CA-related non-CGoL discussions should go either into the "Other Cellular Automata" subforum (if believed to be of interest to other people) or into the "Sandbox" subforum.
i was using the rule as an example

Re: Construction Challenges and Ideas

Posted: December 12th, 2024, 12:49 am
by Sokwe
CARuler wrote: December 10th, 2024, 11:48 pm the rule works by having a "reader"(ship) at the bottom send a signal to the top ship which then leaves information behind for the reader to pick up again.
This isn't a very clear explanation of how the rule works. I was thinking more like explaining what each state does and how cells evolve within the rule. You leave enough ambiguity that it's not clear what you're requesting. One issue is that the "top ship" doesn't seem to be a ship at all, since it only moves when the moving information reaches it. You could make the top part a ship, but that would require pre-populating the pattern with the moving information, which I presume is not your intent. I think you would would need to provide more detail on exactly what you want the final pattern to do.
CARuler wrote: December 10th, 2024, 11:48 pm this was meant to be cgol
CARuler wrote: December 12th, 2024, 12:04 am i was using the rule as an example
It's a bit confusing, because you didn't explain how the example would translate into a pattern in Conway's Game of Life pattern. If you provided a more detailed explanation of how the CGoL pattern would work, then it would probably be more obvious that this is a CGoL construction challenge or idea.

Re: OCA Construction Challenges and Ideas

Posted: December 20th, 2024, 9:48 am
by confocaloid
Are there any spaceships in outer-totalistic cellular automata with this neighbourhood? Every cell has precisely 12 neighbours, which are the cells at Euclidean distance 5.

This might not be a construction challenge, but it's an idea, and a "find an example" challenge.

Code: Select all

x = 1, y = 1, rule = R5,C0,S,B1,NW00000000000100000000000000010000000000010000000100000000000000010000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000010000000000000000000100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000100000000000000010000000100000000000100000000000000010000000000
o!
#C [[ THEME Generations GRID STARTFROM 1 ]]

Code: Select all

x = 1, y = 1, rule = R5,C0,S0-11,B5-6,NW00000000000100000000000000010000000000010000000100000000000000010000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000010000000000000000000100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000100000000000000010000000100000000000100000000000000010000000000
o!
#C [[ RANDOMIZE RANDWIDTH 64 RANDHEIGHT 64 ]]

Re: OCA Construction Challenges and Ideas

Posted: March 9th, 2025, 6:48 pm
by CARuler
create something that plays the hailstone numbers in reverse in hyperbolic space

Re: OCA Construction Challenges and Ideas

Posted: March 17th, 2025, 11:32 pm
by confocaloid
A two-state isotropic CA such that: (some items are about the current state of knowledge, rather than about the CA itself):
  • There are at least four known spaceships, here referred to as A, B, C, D.
  • There are small spaceship converters (either stable or periodic) to convert A to B and vice-versa.
  • There are small spaceship converters (either stable or periodic) to convert C to D and vice-versa.
  • There are no known spaceship converters (either stable or periodic) for any of the 8 imaginable conversions between the two pairs (A, B) and (C, D). There is also no proof of impossibility of such conversions; it is plausible that converters exist but may be hard to find. It appears to be hard to settle the question of whether either of A, B can be converted to or from either of C, D.
That could lead to two sets of spaceship-to-spaceship devices, one set of components involving A and B, the other set of components involving C and D, without any apparent reason why there could not be some undiscovered way to merge both sets.

There are probably ways to "cheat" by inventing an example using higher-range weighted neighbourhoods implementing weakly interacting universes, but that would be considered cheating. (The "apparent reason why" would be that the universes interact weakly, and that would make it less plausible that the missing conversions are possible at all.)