Idea for generating a large-scale census
Posted: June 9th, 2011, 5:15 am
Before Geocities closed, I saved a copy of Andrzej Okrasinski's Life Screensaver, which generates statistics based on random soups. The key feature is, different censuses can be produced for different densities but the same area, and these can be combined into one final census.
My idea is that if several people run a copy of the screensaver (keeping track of who is already using which density) and the results files are combined every so often, a very large set of statistics could be generated, and a possibility for natural constructions of rare objects to be found.
The only problem I can see is that the allowed densities are limited to whole numbers between 10 and 50, meaning only a maximum of 40 people could generate data (unless the 'random seed' number affects that; I'm not sure how it works).
http://soakerhoo.110mb.com/lifess15.zip : Here is a backup of the installer for the screensaver.
http://soakerhoo.110mb.com/lf020n.pdf : Here is the census originally on the site, generated by the software.
My idea is that if several people run a copy of the screensaver (keeping track of who is already using which density) and the results files are combined every so often, a very large set of statistics could be generated, and a possibility for natural constructions of rare objects to be found.
The only problem I can see is that the allowed densities are limited to whole numbers between 10 and 50, meaning only a maximum of 40 people could generate data (unless the 'random seed' number affects that; I'm not sure how it works).
http://soakerhoo.110mb.com/lifess15.zip : Here is a backup of the installer for the screensaver.
http://soakerhoo.110mb.com/lf020n.pdf : Here is the census originally on the site, generated by the software.