Page 1 of 1

Extremely serious problem related to duplicate threads

Posted: July 10th, 2024, 3:49 pm
by Citation needed
The problem of duplicate threads is becoming more and more serious, especially in the Sandbox. There are a lot of "Destruction" threads that are just about using gliders or toggling cells to destruct.

Should we make a "sandbox sandbox" (it is like this one) so that new threads can be examined to prevent duplicates?

I'm sorry that this thread (ironically) may be a duplicate thread.

Re: Extremely serious problem related to duplicate threads

Posted: July 10th, 2024, 3:56 pm
by confocaloid

Re: Extremely serious problem related to duplicate threads

Posted: July 10th, 2024, 5:01 pm
by Citation needed
confocaloid wrote: July 10th, 2024, 3:56 pm search.php?keywords=awfully+serious
I'm probably getting to know why few people replied to me.
I guess that they are just making fun of me, especially my "mental nationality".

Re: Extremely serious problem related to duplicate threads

Posted: July 10th, 2024, 5:46 pm
by confocaloid
For the record, I like the idea of using gliders or toggling cells to destruct objects or otherwise cause reactions within a CA universe. I don't like unnecessary repetition, making fun of people who didn't previously do the same to me, or something gradually becoming more and more serious. However, I don't believe making a "sandbox sandbox" would resolve any of those issues.

I think unnecessary duplication, low-effort low-contribution activity, and other similar issues are already covered by forum rule #4. Whether or not currently active people on this website take that forum rule sufficiently seriously is to be determined.
Citation needed wrote: July 10th, 2024, 3:49 pm The problem of duplicate threads is becoming more and more serious, especially in the Sandbox. There are a lot of "Destruction" threads that are just about using gliders or toggling cells to destruct.

Should we make a "sandbox sandbox" [...]
Citation needed wrote: July 10th, 2024, 5:01 pm [...] I'm probably getting to know why few people replied to me.
I guess that they are just making fun of me, [...]

Re: Extremely serious problem related to duplicate threads

Posted: July 30th, 2024, 6:27 pm
by Citation needed
There are also a number of miscellaneous synthesis threads, as well as a number of art threads.

Re: Extremely serious problem related to duplicate threads

Posted: July 30th, 2024, 8:04 pm
by confocaloid
Citation needed wrote: July 30th, 2024, 6:27 pm There are also a number of miscellaneous synthesis threads, as well as a number of art threads.
There are also a number of other topics with a number of threads on each of those topics, as well as a number of other threads.

Sometimes it is useful to have two or more different threads on related (even closely related) topics. Sometimes it might be useful to have two threads on the same topic, as long as something differs in a well-defined way (thread scope, approach, something else).

Other times, there are useless duplicate threads that could be safely merged without losing anything.

Since you seem to be interested in this topic, would you be willing to collect links to those duplicate threads and post them here, to improve chances that people who know about one thread will be able to find other related threads?

Re: Extremely serious problem related to duplicate threads

Posted: September 24th, 2024, 9:27 am
by confocaloid
I just noticed that the first post was edited.

On the topic of syntheses, I can add at least these (overlapping scopes):

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4291 Synthesis of gliders using other spaceships
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6427 14P2.4 Synthesis
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6685 Synthesizing every natural object
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4585 One Glider Seeds
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1134 Blockic Seeds
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6106 Pulsar-based construction
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5751 Are there methuselas that are known to be not glider-constructible?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3305 how about a sir robin synthesis?
...
Citation needed wrote: July 10th, 2024, 3:49 pm [...]