Where we go ?
Posted: June 10th, 2024, 7:29 pm
It was only a year ago that I discovered the world of Conway's Game of Life by learning the C language.
The Conway Game of Life is already over 50 years old.
Many discoveries and mathematical theorems have come out of it since then.
There's a plethora of literature on the subject.
I'm far from having read it all, and I'm restricting myself to certain areas.
I'm still surprised that today there are no properly classified collections with the necessary information.
I've already found (they've been pointed out to me) some of them, but they're either not up to date or lack information.
For example, the H-to-Gn collection lacks information such as RT, a classification of edge shooters, transparent lane etc.
But where is the Gx-to-G collection? etc ?
That's why I suggested dedicating threads to each collection (with its own rules) and one thread listing all these collections.
In addition, an official maintainer of the collection would be welcome in my opinion.
I think we now have almost all the data and relationships to judiciously create these collections.
They will be useful for newcomers and experienced users alike.
If someone could create a LifeWiki's page listing all currently known collections, that would be a good start.
So much for generalities, here's my personal feeling:
If I have to glean the various components one by one, if I see the whole forum, wiki, blogs, discord, books ... being searched, I give up.
It's all very well to warn of rediscoveries, but you still need something to compare ...
Edit:
I have the impression that everyone keeps their own collections.
And I do too, but it's a lot of work and they all lack information/cleanliness. If I only had to take care of one or two ...
The Conway Game of Life is already over 50 years old.
Many discoveries and mathematical theorems have come out of it since then.
There's a plethora of literature on the subject.
I'm far from having read it all, and I'm restricting myself to certain areas.
I'm still surprised that today there are no properly classified collections with the necessary information.
I've already found (they've been pointed out to me) some of them, but they're either not up to date or lack information.
For example, the H-to-Gn collection lacks information such as RT, a classification of edge shooters, transparent lane etc.
But where is the Gx-to-G collection? etc ?
That's why I suggested dedicating threads to each collection (with its own rules) and one thread listing all these collections.
In addition, an official maintainer of the collection would be welcome in my opinion.
I think we now have almost all the data and relationships to judiciously create these collections.
They will be useful for newcomers and experienced users alike.
If someone could create a LifeWiki's page listing all currently known collections, that would be a good start.
So much for generalities, here's my personal feeling:
If I have to glean the various components one by one, if I see the whole forum, wiki, blogs, discord, books ... being searched, I give up.
It's all very well to warn of rediscoveries, but you still need something to compare ...
Edit:
I have the impression that everyone keeps their own collections.
And I do too, but it's a lot of work and they all lack information/cleanliness. If I only had to take care of one or two ...