Page 1 of 1
How do I submit directly to Catagolue?
Posted: April 22nd, 2024, 3:34 pm
by Ivy
I have a spaceship in b3678s34678 that I do not see in Catagolue, and want to directly submit it, but apgsearch seems to only submit anything it "discovers", and I want to submit a specific pattern. Also, what does a symmetry mean? (aka symmetry C1)
Re: How do I submit directly to Catagolue?
Posted: April 22nd, 2024, 3:40 pm
by confocaloid
Ivy wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 3:34 pm
I have a spaceship in b3678s34678 that I do not see in Catagolue, and want to directly submit it, but apgsearch seems to only submit anything it "discovers", and I want to submit a specific pattern.
Why not post it here on the forums instead? This way, if it's indeed new, then people will be able to know you discovered it.
Catagolue is
primarily intended for collecting results of automated soup search using
apgsearch. In particular, it is often hard to extract some kind of useful discovery information about objects tabulated on Catagolue.
Ivy wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 3:34 pm
Also, what does a symmetry mean? (aka symmetry C1)
In the context of Catagolue, it is better to describe things like "C1" and "D2_x" as Catagolue
censuses, rather than symmetries.
Every such census collects results of soup search with pseudorandom soups of a specific kind.
Note that there are censuses that aren't symmetries. For example, see
https://catagolue.hatsya.com/census/b3s23/8x32 and
https://catagolue.hatsya.com/census/b3s23/iC1
Re: How do I submit directly to Catagolue?
Posted: April 22nd, 2024, 3:42 pm
by Ivy
How would I post it on here? I'm not too familiar with the forums or catalogue. should I make a new topic? or how would I?
Re: How do I submit directly to Catagolue?
Posted: April 22nd, 2024, 3:46 pm
by confocaloid
Ivy wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 3:34 pmI have a spaceship in b3678s34678 that I do not see in Catagolue, [...]
Ivy wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 3:42 pmHow would I post it on here? I'm not too familiar with the forums or catalogue. should I make a new topic? or how would I?
This cellular automaton is known under the name "Day and Night" and there's a dedicated forum thread for it, where you can post patterns if you believe they are new:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=702
In general, patterns can be posted in one of the following threads:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1971 "Miscellaneous Discoveries in Other Cellular Automata"
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=803 "Thread For Your Unrecognised CA" (you can post there if you think nobody previously investigated your CA)
Re: How do I submit directly to Catagolue?
Posted: April 22nd, 2024, 4:26 pm
by confocaloid
If a pattern was already posted in a more specific existing thread (e.g. the dedicated forum thread for some well-explored CA), then usually it is better to avoid reposting it in a more general thread (like MDiOCA or TFYUCA).
For example people who are interested in HighLife (B36/S23) are more likely to go to the dedicated forum thread for this ruleset (
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2332 ) to read about what's known.
General collection threads like
MDiOCA and
TFYUCA are a good fit when there's no more specific thread to post. Almost all rulesets aren't well-explored enough to warrant a dedicated thread, or don't have any unique properties.
Re: How do I submit directly to Catagolue?
Posted: April 22nd, 2024, 4:30 pm
by Ivy
alr, i'm just kinda impatient :/ i'll avoid doing it from now on tho