The CA community annoys me
Posted: March 28th, 2011, 1:22 pm
Ever since I discovered MCell I have enjoyed messing around with CA rules and seeing what
patterns they produced. In fact I have spent over 100 hours in MCell coming up with
different rules since it is so easy to create them in that program. I came to this community
hoping to share these rules and my experiences creating them but I ran into the following
problems:
1. Overall the community is just too small. Many of my posts here are almost completely
ignored only getting a few replies.
2. There is almost no discussion of MCell. This really surprised me when I first came here
since MCell is such an easy program to use and is what got me interested in CA in the first
place.
3. There is too much discussion of Golly. Golly is a horrible program lacking many basic
features and is hard to use. The rule tables are horrible compared to all the rule creating
abilities in MCell. Golly is also what put me off learning about CA for so long.
4. Everyone cares too much about patterns. Patterns are alright but they don't really do
much.
5. People don't care enough about different CA rules. Even though there is a sub forum about
non life CA rules the topics there for the most part only cover the most basic CA rules.
None of the topics deal with the more advanced rules that can be created in MCell. When you
actually enter the topics all people do is post patterns they found in the rule. There is no
discussion about modifying the rule and seeing what happens to certain patterns.
Sorry about this but I just had to get this off my chest. It is just so annoying to spend so
much time in MCell and then not have anyone to talk to about it with.
patterns they produced. In fact I have spent over 100 hours in MCell coming up with
different rules since it is so easy to create them in that program. I came to this community
hoping to share these rules and my experiences creating them but I ran into the following
problems:
1. Overall the community is just too small. Many of my posts here are almost completely
ignored only getting a few replies.
2. There is almost no discussion of MCell. This really surprised me when I first came here
since MCell is such an easy program to use and is what got me interested in CA in the first
place.
3. There is too much discussion of Golly. Golly is a horrible program lacking many basic
features and is hard to use. The rule tables are horrible compared to all the rule creating
abilities in MCell. Golly is also what put me off learning about CA for so long.
4. Everyone cares too much about patterns. Patterns are alright but they don't really do
much.
5. People don't care enough about different CA rules. Even though there is a sub forum about
non life CA rules the topics there for the most part only cover the most basic CA rules.
None of the topics deal with the more advanced rules that can be created in MCell. When you
actually enter the topics all people do is post patterns they found in the rule. There is no
discussion about modifying the rule and seeing what happens to certain patterns.
Sorry about this but I just had to get this off my chest. It is just so annoying to spend so
much time in MCell and then not have anyone to talk to about it with.
