Page 1 of 2
(Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 4th, 2024, 5:59 pm
by BokaBB
(So here we, in a manner akin to
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5966, discover civilisation step by step from scratch, 'inventing' various things and perhaps naming them a fun way, with maybe some worldbuilding and culture too, but I don't plan to majorly impact this, so do whatever you want. Please progress at a slow pace. )EDIT: My role will probably be bigger than originally said for reasons having to do with accuracy.
Look, my hunter-gatherer buds! In this wet soil close to the big river I have left some einkorn seeds last year to store. But they sprouted into new plants! Wow! Like a spring making plants! We could add more each year and have an eternal source of food! Let's celebrate with some freshly hunted meat at my home!
Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 4th, 2024, 6:34 pm
by haaaaaands
hey i found this stick moving down a hill, it gave me an idea: many rolling sticks to move big objects!
im a genius
Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 4th, 2024, 9:12 pm
by Heav
hey, i found this portal that leads back to modern society. it's a one-way portal. i think we should all go through it.
Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 5th, 2024, 8:52 am
by hotcrystal0
Heav wrote: January 4th, 2024, 9:12 pm
hey, i found this portal that leads back to modern society. it's a one-way portal. i think we should all go through it.
Nevermind, the portal just closed. Wait, I just found out that fires can be used not only to cook, but to scare!
Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 5th, 2024, 10:06 am
by Haycat2009
hotcrystal0 wrote: January 5th, 2024, 8:52 am
Heav wrote: January 4th, 2024, 9:12 pm
hey, i found this portal that leads back to modern society. it's a one-way portal. i think we should all go through it.
Nevermind, the portal just closed. Wait, I just found out that fires can be used not only to cook, but to scare!
Hey, I found out that that mushroom is edible, that tree produces sweet fruit and the other tree has sap that itches!
Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 5th, 2024, 11:51 pm
by Heav
hey, i found the portal from last time, but when i go through it, it'll actually irreversibly send everyone here through it at once. forever. i'm using it now. yay, we're in modern society.
Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 5th, 2024, 11:55 pm
by Haycat2009
Heav wrote: January 5th, 2024, 11:51 pm
hey, i found the portal from last time, but when i go through it, it'll actually irreversibly send everyone here through it at once. forever. i'm using it now. yay, we're in modern society.
Oops. The portal malfunctioned and you, and only you, are on earth when it forms. The earth is basically a lava ball now, and inhospitable to all life.
Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 6th, 2024, 4:14 am
by BokaBB
This is becoming a problem. Heav, if you aren't willing to contribute productively, please don't post. No insults intended. The joke was OK once, but it's too much now.
We also need to do these early phases well, for we have a good chance of either rushing them big-time or prolonging it so much it is boring and no one will play. The latter eras can be slowed down though.
Meanwhile I was burning something and found that some soil has turned into something quite solid. I'll call that pottery. I suspect we can use this to build vessels!
Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 6th, 2024, 5:27 am
by b-engine
BokaBB wrote: January 6th, 2024, 4:14 am
Meanwhile I was burning something and found that some soil has turned into something quite solid. I'll call that pottery. I suspect we can use this to build vessels!
So I made them into something useful called "bricks".
In meantime, I found something shiny in somewhere. I'll call it "iron".
Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 6th, 2024, 7:03 am
by BokaBB
I have frequently been feeding local animals, they trust me now. We apparently can enclose them and breed for food and other useful things!
b-engine wrote:iron
You are going a little too fast, we need copper and bronze first. And gemsand gold could be nice too.
Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 6th, 2024, 8:50 am
by haaaaaands
duuuuude this thing is cool, i found a way to tame wolfs!
yes, good boy, good boy... sit! there, who's a good boy? who's a good boy? take this treat!
Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 6th, 2024, 8:59 am
by b-engine
I also found other shiny things, I'll call them copper and brass.
Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 6th, 2024, 8:59 am
by BokaBB
haaaaaands wrote: January 6th, 2024, 8:50 am
duuuuude this thing is cool, i found a way to tame wolfs!
yes, good boy, good boy... sit! there, who's a good boy? who's a good boy? take this treat!
Sorry if I'm too nerdy here, but dog domestication predates agriculture and I had assumed it present at the start. Feel free to edit your message instead of writing a new one so not too many posts are posted.
Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 6th, 2024, 9:04 am
by haaaaaands
BokaBB wrote: January 6th, 2024, 8:59 am
haaaaaands wrote: January 6th, 2024, 8:50 am
duuuuude this thing is cool, i found a way to tame wolfs!
yes, good boy, good boy... sit! there, who's a good boy? who's a good boy? take this treat!
Sorry if I'm too nerdy here, but dog domestication predates agriculture and I had assumed it present at the start. Feel free to edit your message instead of writing a new one so not too many posts are posted.
im not very good with history before the middle ages :/
Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 7th, 2024, 2:39 pm
by Para
So, I heated this green rock I found in a fire, and it turned black! Rocks don't usually do that. Anyway, I left it in the fire overnight, and the next day It had turned like orange and shiny! I will name it copper. I wonder, if we can get more of it, if we can make it into something?
Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 7th, 2024, 3:04 pm
by hotcrystal0
Para wrote: January 7th, 2024, 2:39 pm
So, I heated this green rock I found in a fire, and it turned black! Rocks don't usually do that. Anyway, I left it in the fire overnight, and the next day It had turned like orange and shiny! I will name it copper. I wonder, if we can get more of it, if we can make it into something?
(Just like the rediscovering CGOL thread, some things should be named differently.)
That sounds very unlikely to me, but probably yes.
Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 7th, 2024, 3:06 pm
by Para
hotcrystal0 wrote: January 7th, 2024, 3:04 pm
Para wrote: January 7th, 2024, 2:39 pm
So, I heated this green rock I found in a fire, and it turned black! Rocks don't usually do that. Anyway, I left it in the fire overnight, and the next day It had turned like orange and shiny! I will name it copper. I wonder, if we can get more of it, if we can make it into something?
(Just like the rediscovering CGOL thread, some things should be named differently.)
That sounds very unlikely to me, but probably yes.
OOC: (yeah, but unlike CGOL I think we should preserve the names of the basic materials/things because otherwise it just becomes a pain to look everything up)
Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 7th, 2024, 3:07 pm
by hotcrystal0
Para wrote: January 7th, 2024, 3:06 pm
hotcrystal0 wrote: January 7th, 2024, 3:04 pm
Para wrote: January 7th, 2024, 2:39 pm
So, I heated this green rock I found in a fire, and it turned black! Rocks don't usually do that. Anyway, I left it in the fire overnight, and the next day It had turned like orange and shiny! I will name it copper. I wonder, if we can get more of it, if we can make it into something?
(Just like the rediscovering CGOL thread, some things should be named differently.)
That sounds very unlikely to me, but probably yes.
OOC: (yeah, but unlike CGOL I think we should preserve the names of the basic materials/things because otherwise it just becomes a pain to look everything up)
(ok.)
Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 7th, 2024, 5:51 pm
by haaaaaands
*finds a computer*
hey, what is this?
*computer vanishes*
nevermind, its gone...
Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 8th, 2024, 1:43 am
by b-engine
Para wrote: January 7th, 2024, 2:39 pm
So, I heated this green rock I found in a fire, and it turned black! Rocks don't usually do that. Anyway, I left it in the fire overnight, and the next day It had turned like orange and shiny! I will name it copper. I wonder, if we can get more of it, if we can make it into something?
I'd made a tool using it, and found it easier to mine copper. Afterwards, I found something seemly precious!
Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 8th, 2024, 2:07 pm
by Para
b-engine wrote: January 8th, 2024, 1:43 am
Para wrote: January 7th, 2024, 2:39 pm
So, I heated this green rock I found in a fire, and it turned black! Rocks don't usually do that. Anyway, I left it in the fire overnight, and the next day It had turned like orange and shiny! I will name it copper. I wonder, if we can get more of it, if we can make it into something?
I'd made a tool using it, and found it easier to mine copper. Afterwards, I found something seemly precious!
OOC: b-engine, this is
not in-line with progression. I had just "discovered" copper, and you shouldn't, one post later, make tools with it and mine it. I discovered it in very small amounts, and it should take tons of ore and time to be able to produce a tool from it. This post is null (BokaBB appointed me to manage this thread with him lol). b-engine, please stick to realistic progression of technology, every post building in some smallish way from the ones before it.
Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 10th, 2024, 10:25 pm
by Haycat2009
The thing b-engine found yields under a bite, shines and is yellow. It gleams, but is tiny. I went to a river with a coconut half and sifted the gravel with it, and found another piece. Rocks are not shiny. We stare at it as if mesmerised.
Soon, I discover a blue rock seam. Copying Para, I put it in the fire and orange stuff comes out. There is enough for a tiny tool, which we use. Unfortunately, it often deforms.
(By the way, this is not going too fast. Gold was one of the first metals to be found.)
Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 10th, 2024, 11:50 pm
by Para
Haycat2009 wrote: January 10th, 2024, 10:25 pm
The thing b-engine found yields under a bite, shines and is yellow. It gleams, but is tiny. I went to a river with a coconut half and sifted the gravel with it, and found another piece. Rocks are not shiny. We stare at it as if mesmerised.
Soon, I discover a blue rock seam. Copying Para, I put it in the fire and orange stuff comes out. There is enough for a tiny tool, which we use. Unfortunately, it often deforms.
(By the way, this is not going too fast. Gold was one of the first metals to be found.)
Nice! I wonder if we can find more green/blue rocks, and maybe make a bigger tool out of it! The deformation is a problem though. Well anyway, I started farming BokaBB's plant, and it's definitely a lot easier than hunting every day. How about you guys all come to my place, and we can discuss ideas?
OOC: Yes, gold was a particularly early discovery, but the way b-engine found it (mining with a copper tool and mentioning creating copper on a fairly-large scale, and then finding something by mining) is not in progression. Also, please don't acknowledge b-engine's post when it's not in the flow of progression (it only serves to cement it into the timeline), you can discover it yourself in a more inline way. The way you found that second piece is great - river sifting is a much less intrusive and easier way to discover gold.
Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 10th, 2024, 11:56 pm
by Haycat2009
The yellow stuff, turns out is rarer than I thought. I sifted the whole day but only found one lump. The tiny copper tool, as we realised, is too fragile to be made to a pick axe, so I decided to find something else. There is a seam of green rock with mesmerising circles in it. Soon we dig it out, burn it and make more copper tools. The pickaxe, however, still deforms.
Re: (Fun writing) Let's pretend civilisation has just been discovered!
Posted: January 10th, 2024, 11:58 pm
by Para
Haycat2009 wrote: January 10th, 2024, 11:56 pm
The yellow stuff, turns out is rarer than I thought. I sifted the whole day but only found one lump. The tiny copper tool, as we realised, is too fragile to be made to a pick axe, so I decided to find something else. There is a seam of green rock with mesmerising circles in it. Soon we dig it out, burn it and make more copper tools. The pickaxe, however, still deforms.
OOC: What does "We" refer to here? Do, say, Boka, me, you, b-engine, haaaands, and hotcrystal all live in the same general area/settlement, or do we live seperately?