Page 1 of 1
Pointed Golly to incorrect location for Python dll
Posted: November 29th, 2023, 11:33 pm
by twinb7
Hey, been a long time since I was last here.
I got a fresh install of Golly on my computer and it requested the location of my Python 3 dll for scripts to run. I pointed it to the exe in the same directory and, understandably, scripts can't run. But I can't see in the preferences where to fix this. Any help?
Re: Pointed Golly to incorrect location for Python dll
Posted: November 29th, 2023, 11:50 pm
by confocaloid
twinb7 wrote: November 29th, 2023, 11:33 pm
Hey, been a long time since I was last here.
I got a fresh install of Golly on my computer and it requested the location of my Python 3 dll for scripts to run. I pointed it to the exe in the same directory and, understandably, scripts can't run. But I can't see in the preferences where to fix this. Any help?
I believe the place to fix this is the
GollyPrefs file, where there should be a line that begins with "python3_lib=", for example:
Re: Pointed Golly to incorrect location for Python dll
Posted: December 22nd, 2023, 11:11 pm
by twinb7
It's so weird, but I don't know why - every time I run Golly, it replaces the contents of GollyPrefs to make that line say python.exe again.
Re: Pointed Golly to incorrect location for Python dll
Posted: December 22nd, 2023, 11:34 pm
by dvgrn
twinb7 wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 11:11 pm
It's so weird, but I don't know why - every time I run Golly, it replaces the contents of GollyPrefs to make that line say python.exe again.
Just to double-check: do you close Golly, and
only then edit the GollyPrefs file, and
only then run Golly again?
Golly writes out its current settings to GollyPrefs whenever it closes. You can't edit GollyPrefs while Golly is running ... or rather, you can, but it doesn't do any good.
Re: Pointed Golly to incorrect location for Python dll
Posted: December 22nd, 2023, 11:39 pm
by confocaloid
Maybe creating
LifeWiki:FAQ/GollyPrefs would help
Re: Pointed Golly to incorrect location for Python dll
Posted: January 14th, 2024, 8:07 pm
by johamwit
I'm trying to use the identifier script I just dowload from
viewtopic.php?p=18907, but I get the "Could not load the Python library" errorBox, highlighting "libpython3.8".
I am on ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS,
python3 starts with:
"Python 3.8.10 (default, Nov 22 2023, 10:22:35)
[GCC 9.4.0] on linux"
and GollyPrefs reads
"python3_lib=libpython3.8.so"
There are python2.7, python3, python3.8 and python3.9 folders in /usr/lib
I don't speak python. Any advice ?
EDIT: Golly 4.1
Re: Pointed Golly to incorrect location for Python dll
Posted: January 15th, 2024, 2:40 pm
by get_Snacked
slightly similar things happened here. i'm on Windows 11, and i tried to use Python 3.12 and put in the path for the dll, but it just requested me the library's location again, which means that it didn't work. then i proceeded to cancel and then try to run searchRules-matchPatt2.py, but it said that it couldn't find the command py_initialize. i then tried to use Python 3.11, but the same thing happened where i would plug the path in and it wouldn't work.
EDIT: my version of Golly is 4.2.
Re: Pointed Golly to incorrect location for Python dll
Posted: January 15th, 2024, 3:38 pm
by dvgrn
Just for completeness, please mention the version of Golly you're working with, as well as the version of Python.
Otherwise, everyone tends to assume that it's Golly 4.2, and then is completely mystified as to why things aren't working ... but then sometimes it turns out that somebody is trying to get an old Golly 3.x package from some Linux distro to work with Python 3.x.