Page 1 of 1
Our own forum name
Posted: October 2nd, 2023, 6:37 pm
by wirehead
I've noticed a lot of forums I've come across have some sort of name. Some have a clever name (e.g.
in_thread for Sonic Pi,
TromboneChat for a forum about trombone playing, etc.) Some are named simply like "[product/package name] forums" (
Arduino forums,
LVGL forums,
uLisp forums, etc.)
This forum really doesn't have a good name. The top bar simply says "Conwaylife.com - Forums for Conway's Game of Life" which isn't helpful.
I've been referring to these as "the conwaylife.com forums" but that seems super overly verbose.
We need a name...
Re: Our own forum name
Posted: October 2nd, 2023, 6:45 pm
by haaaaaands
life forum?
ok i suck at naming
Re: Our own forum name
Posted: February 18th, 2024, 10:28 am
by tommyaweosme
cellular auforumata
forum of cellular automata
the forum of life
conway's forum of life
cellular forum automata
automata forum
cellular automata forums
life forums
chat about cellular automata
take your pick
Re: Our own forum name
Posted: February 19th, 2024, 2:52 pm
by confocaloid
wirehead wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 6:37 pm
I've noticed a lot of forums I've come across have some sort of name. Some have a clever name [...]
[...]
I've been referring to these as "the conwaylife.com forums" but that seems super overly verbose.
We need a name...
How about "
xq4_153"? It seems to be a sufficiently clever name to be perplexing to newcomers, and not too verbose. A seven-character sequence without a phonetic pronunciation, something that could be probably described as "a treasured and carefully guarded point in the space of seven-character strings".
More seriously, I like the existing name. The forums are not solely about Life, but they are primarily about Life. (There are all kinds of cellular automata -- higher range neighbourhoods, more than just two cellstates, neighbour-counting/isotropic/non-isotropic evolution rules, more than two dimensions, other tilings / topologies, non-Euclidean geometries, irregular/aperiodic tilings, arbitrary graphs, continuous versions.)
I think it would be a mistake to name the discussion forums after some specific software package. There are multiple different simulation programs with different sets of features, there are multiple different search programs, and multiple related scripts / software tools.