Life Replicator?

For discussion of specific patterns or specific families of patterns in Conway's Game of Life, both newly-discovered and well-known.
Post Reply
wintersolstice
Posts: 21
Joined: August 25th, 2010, 3:42 pm

Life Replicator?

Post by wintersolstice »

If you have a line 1 cell thick that stretches on for infinity in both directions(it's a repeating infinite pattern similar to wick and agars so i guess it's valid) I don't know with absolute certainty, but I think it might be a "replicator" (in "Life")

I don't know how to import infinite patterns (and even then, I need to reinstall Golly anyway)
User avatar
apg
Moderator
Posts: 3007
Joined: June 1st, 2009, 4:32 pm

Re: Life Replicator?

Post by apg »

Nice try, but we're after a finite self-replicating pattern. Otherwise, you could solve the omniperiodicity problem, as well, with infinite glider streams of periods 19, 23, 29, ...
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!
wintersolstice
Posts: 21
Joined: August 25th, 2010, 3:42 pm

Re: Life Replicator?

Post by wintersolstice »

calcyman wrote:Nice try, but we're after a finite self-replicating pattern. Otherwise, you could solve the omniperiodicity problem, as well, with infinite glider streams of periods 19, 23, 29, ...
doesn't say that here: http://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/index.ph ... Replicator

and what's this got to do with an "omniperiodicity problem" (I know what "omniperiodicity" is)

Obvisiously I know too little about this, maybe I shouldn't even be on the forum :( I don't even know how to build a pattern, so what's the point of me being here?
p46beth
Posts: 345
Joined: June 18th, 2010, 8:18 pm

Re: Life Replicator?

Post by p46beth »

What you described would in fact be a life replicator. I think Calcyman assumed that you were proposing a potential solution to one of the unsolved problems in life: finding a finite replicator. So you did find a replicator, but you did not solve the unsolved problem of finding a finite replicator :wink:
Obvisiously I know too little about this, maybe I shouldn't even be on the forum :( I don't even know how to build a pattern, so what's the point of me being here?
Don't feel so bad, everyone has to start somewhere.
Post Reply