I imagine this has been observed before, but I haven't seen it, and I don't see any items for sale based on it, e.g. on Etsy, where one can find many versions of Penrose tiles as well as the newer aperiodic monotile.
I was thinking about the
deflation rule for kites and darts and how much simpler it is to express in terms of half-kites and half-darts, which are themselves Robinson triangles (though the
Robinson deflation rule looks a little different). Aside: once I started on that, I found that I could build larger tilings in Inkscape without having to write a Python script.
You could make a set of kites and darts by splitting them into triangles, obviously. However, you would need a way to specify right and left triangles to insure aperiodicity. So this results in 4 kinds of pieces, which is a bit inelegant.
However, if you build 3-dimensional pieces, you can get back to having just two. Are there any other writeups of this? I don't have a 3D printer or an Etsy store, but this is interesting enough to produce physically.
To get the 2 3D kite and dart halves, all you do is take the 2D tiles for kites and dart halves, pair them up and glue them back to back. You need to do it consistently so they follow placement rules. However, there are just 2 triangular shapes, and to form kites and darts, you pair the tile with itself in flipped position. This picture shows the layers diagrammatically, the resulting kite and dart, and the half kite, half dart deflation that can now be done directly with these tiles. If you had enough of them, you could build a tiling bottom-up.

- 20240114_094700.jpg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 2882 times
I cut those tiles out of 1mm matboard on a Cricut die cutter, which is a slow process requiring 8 passes with the knife blade and also requires the size to be larger than I like. Then I glued them back to back as shown. (Time to get that 3D printer. Any recommendations? Creality Ender looks affordable.)
Here's half of generation one of "sun." I miscalculated and forgot I needed 4, not 2 triangles to make a single dart or kite. But it's also a nice proof of concept since you can make half layouts.

- 20240114_094930.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 2882 times
Finally, if you like Penrose rhombs better than kites and darts (I don't, to be honest), you can also make those out of the same triangles. The same tiling can be decomposed into either kites and darts or fat and skinny rhombs.

- 20240114_094113.jpg (2.04 MiB) Viewed 2882 times
Note: One thing I would do differently next time is make the connections more visually distinct. They consist of circular arcs of radius 10mm, 12.5mm, 15mm, and 17.5mm respectively, and will not fit if placed incorrectly, but it is too easy to try. A year spent handling
Swiss coinage should have warned me this was a bad idea.
Finally, I have worked through this by example, not proof. Please let me know if there is any reason this shouldn't work or may permit a periodic tiling. I believe it works.