Page 1 of 1
403 Errors on LifeWiki
Posted: March 30th, 2023, 8:57 am
by carsoncheng
Recently, I've noticed that any URL slug containing the whitespace character (%20) on LifeWiki causes a 403 Forbidden error.
Examples:
https://conwaylife.com/wiki/Eater 5
https://conwaylife.com/wiki/Cloverleaf interchange
https://conwaylife.com/wiki/Jason's p22
They're supposed to redirect to a page with all the %20 characters turned into the "_" character (e.g.,
https://conwaylife.com/wiki/Jason's_p22). However, I've recently noticed that it simply doesn't. This is causing some broken links as these links with whitespaces are often linked from the forum using the wiki tag. It might also cause some inconveniences while browsing the wiki.
Re: 403 Errors on LifeWiki
Posted: March 30th, 2023, 9:05 am
by dvgrn
This does seem to be new and unwelcome behavior. There are all kinds of places where I've relied on the automatic conversion of spaces to underscores, and that no longer seems to be working.
Re: 403 Errors on LifeWiki
Posted: March 31st, 2023, 1:42 am
by confocaloid
Wikipedia accepts links with spaces:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular%20automaton
https://conwaylife.com/wiki/Cellular%20automaton
Several days ago I made the link
LifeWiki:Tiki bar in
a forum post, and (if I remember correctly) I checked the link and it did work at that time. It might be because I misremembered, or because the link handling actually changed in the last few days. (I already edited that forum post to fix the link.)
Re: 403 Errors on LifeWiki
Posted: March 31st, 2023, 8:51 am
by Nathaniel
Thanks for the report -- there was a recent Apache security fix that caused this problem (see
here for info). Fortunately it's an easy fix, and it's now fixed.
Re: 403 Errors on LifeWiki
Posted: October 31st, 2023, 3:50 pm
by DroneBetter
Nathaniel wrote: March 31st, 2023, 8:51 amFortunately it's an easy fix, and it's now fixed.
I am getting this whenever I attempt to submit an edit to
OCA:2×2 (adding a spaceship collection and noting the c/3 diagonal speed limit), I thought it was a momentary thing (as happens occasionally) but it has persisted every time I've tried.
Fortunately, I recovered the edit's contents, so nothing was lost by the page overwriting itself, so if you can reproduce and fix this, I will try to submit it again.
Very occasionally in the past (not more recently than two months ago, I don't think), during unexpected downtime, the server has destroyed my edits' contents due to the error page having the same URL and clearing the cache, maybe there is something that can be done to avoid this?