Page 1 of 1

Question about RLE format

Posted: January 31st, 2022, 2:18 pm
by josdenhartog
I have read the information about the RLE format on https://conwaylife.com/wiki/Run_Length_Encoded
As I understand the format, there are <run_count><tag> combinations.
The <run_count> is a number, the <tag> is "b" or "o" or "$".
The <run_count> can be omitted if the count is "1".

In the file p49bumperloopnew.rle, I found this part $21b2o12bob2obobob2o$36bobobob2obo2$
The 1st line in this example ends with run_count="2" and tag="o". Which is clear to me: 2 occurrences of an alive cell.
But the 2nd line in this example ends with run_count="2" and tag="S". I don't understand how I should read this.

Is this an error in the .rle file? Or am i missing something in the explanation on page https://conwaylife.com/wiki/Run_Length_Encoded ?
Your help is appreciated.
Best Regards,

Jos den Hartog

Re: Question about RLE format

Posted: January 31st, 2022, 2:31 pm
by Macbi
The $ represents starting a new line. So 2$ means to start a new line twice. In other words, finish the current line and then leave one entirety blank line.

Re: Question about RLE format

Posted: January 31st, 2022, 2:54 pm
by josdenhartog
Thank you for your explanation.