Page 1 of 1

POTD 2010-2019

Posted: November 14th, 2021, 7:40 pm
by Book
Will this happen? Or did it but I missed it?

Re: POTD 2010-2019

Posted: November 14th, 2021, 9:29 pm
by Sokwe
It didn't happen, and it's largely my fault. I kept locking attempts at voting threads because they were started without reaching a consensus on the nominees. In retrospect, I may have been too restrictive. Perhaps I should have just let the vote go ahead. It was my belief at the time that by locking the thread, whoever had bothered to make the thread would then go and seek consensus for the nominee list in the nomination thread. I made some effort to do this myself, but I didn't get much feedback on my suggestions, positive or negative.

I still support a Pattern of the Decade competition, but I hope that whoever wants to organize it will spend at least a week or two obtaining a consensus for the nominee list, voting method, and duration of the voting period.

Re: POTD 2010-2019

Posted: November 15th, 2021, 1:38 pm
by Book
Sokwe wrote: November 14th, 2021, 9:29 pm It didn't happen, and it's largely my fault. I kept locking attempts at voting threads because they were started without reaching a consensus on the nominees. In retrospect, I may have been too restrictive. Perhaps I should have just let the vote go ahead. It was my belief at the time that by locking the thread, whoever had bothered to make the thread would then go and seek consensus for the nominee list in the nomination thread. I made some effort to do this myself, but I didn't get much feedback on my suggestions, positive or negative.

I still support a Pattern of the Decade competition, but I hope that whoever wants to organize it will spend at least a week or two obtaining a consensus for the nominee list, voting method, and duration of the voting period.
Thanks, reading through the thread is revealing. That sure turned into a can of worms. It seems to me that you couldn't anticipate that. In retrospect, a decade is a different beast than a year, and CGOL pattern engineering has grown substantially--breadth and depth--since the last POTD. It may be that this is like picking the GOAT in a sport, with the added complication of perhaps needing categories, like the Oscars. And trying to be collaborative and democratic in the process. Just some thoughts. I, for one, appreciate your efforts.

Re: POTD 2010-2019

Posted: December 23rd, 2021, 2:11 pm
by Book
I suggest we remove the reference to POTD from the wiki. I'm tempted to do it...

Re: POTD 2010-2019

Posted: December 23rd, 2021, 3:23 pm
by dvgrn
Book wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 2:11 pm I suggest we remove the reference to POTD from the wiki. I'm tempted to do it...
I went ahead and made that edit, to keep anyone else from agonizing over it. There's still a "POTD" redirect to Pattern of the Year, which I won't remove until waiting for a decent interval to see if anyone complains.