Real-life Turing machine
Posted: March 19th, 2021, 9:20 am
Would it be easy? Would it be any similar to Conway's one?From what it would be made?I think few ever were thinking about this so I made a thread.
Forums for Conway's Game of Life
https://conwaylife.com/forums/
Do you mean a real-life Turing machine -- which is technically impossible since one of the specs is an infinite data tape -- or a real-life self-replicator?{censored} wrote: March 19th, 2021, 9:20 am Would it be easy? Would it be any similar to Conway's one?From what it would be made?I think few ever were thinking about this so I made a thread.
Games like Minecraft are said to be Turing-complete because if run on an ideal computer (Turing machine), you can make a Turing machine in them. By "game" do you mean CA rules though?{censored} wrote: March 19th, 2021, 9:55 am Yes,moderator.
So completely impossible?I heard some games are Turing-Complete. What that means?
Those machines would need to eat....
No,but about computer ones and Magic:The Gathering,a card game.Schiaparelliorbust wrote: March 19th, 2021, 10:06 amGames like Minecraft are said to be Turing-complete because if run on an ideal computer (Turing machine), you can make a Turing machine in them. By "game" do you mean CA rules though?{censored} wrote: March 19th, 2021, 9:55 am Yes,moderator.
So completely impossible?I heard some games are Turing-Complete. What that means?
Those machines would need to eat....
In reality there are physical limitations on how much data can be stored. Though the amount of data that can be stored is very large, you can't really make it infinite due to said limitations. Therefore, a true turing machine with infinite data storage would be impossible irl. However, if you're ok dropping the requirement for infinite data storage, then these would meet the criteria.
ah yes, the turing completeness proof of MTG{censored} wrote: March 19th, 2021, 10:09 am No,but about computer ones and Magic:The Gathering,a card game.
They've certainly been built, for some definitions of "finite tape" -- see TOWTMTEWP for example, there's a Youtube video about it.
First answer the question I posted in response to your first post:{censored} wrote: March 19th, 2021, 3:05 pm Are they any similar to those in cellular automata?
They would need to eat in order to reproduce. Any ideas about how that could be done?
There's nothing in the definition of a Turing machine that says anything about them reproducing, let alone eating. They're mostly just mathematical models of computation -- nothing to do with self-construction at all.dvgrn wrote: March 19th, 2021, 9:35 amDo you mean a real-life Turing machine -- which is technically impossible since one of the specs is an infinite data tape -- or a real-life self-replicator?
A Turing machine could "compute" the behavior of a self-replicating machine, at various levels of detail... sure, I guess. But that would be a simulation of a self-replicating machine -- there isn't really anything "real-life" about that scenario.{censored} wrote: March 19th, 2021, 3:32 pm By definition Turing machines can compute anything, including them,yes?
Heh, we know a few things that the future doesn't hold, and that's one of them. The definition of "Turing machine" specifies an unbounded tape, so if you have a finite tape, it's not a Turing machine.{censored} wrote: March 19th, 2021, 4:45 pm Yes, that is surely not going to happen, or at least not soon.
Who knows,maybe we will one day discover a Turing machine with a finite tape!Who knows what future holds.
Or quantun mechanics perhaps? Although I don't know quantum mechanics at all.
I'm pretty sure there was some proof last year about quantum mechanics and Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem, but I can't find it right now. I'll keep looking for it.Hunting wrote: March 26th, 2021, 7:16 am Or quantun mechanics perhaps? Although I don't know quantum mechanics at all.
Well, you can keep increasing the storage as needed. There is almost certainly enough time as long as you start with enough runway. On nontrivial computations, the head may spend a long time in the interior, giving you time to add to the frontier. Of course, you eventually run out of material to make new tape, but depending on the speed, the universe might end first.dvgrn wrote: March 19th, 2021, 9:35 amDo you mean a real-life Turing machine -- which is technically impossible since one of the specs is an infinite data tape{censored} wrote: March 19th, 2021, 9:20 am Would it be easy? Would it be any similar to Conway's one?From what it would be made?I think few ever were thinking about this so I made a thread.