Minecraft discussion
Minecraft discussion
The purpose of this thread is pretty simple: Discuss anything Minecraft or Minecraft related.
Puffer Suppressor
Would we be able to know when we know everything there is to know?
How would we know what we don’t know that we don’t know?
The (34,7)c/156 caterpillar is finished!!! You can download it here.
Would we be able to know when we know everything there is to know?
How would we know what we don’t know that we don’t know?
The (34,7)c/156 caterpillar is finished!!! You can download it here.
Re: Minecraft discussion
Puffer Suppressor
Would we be able to know when we know everything there is to know?
How would we know what we don’t know that we don’t know?
The (34,7)c/156 caterpillar is finished!!! You can download it here.
Would we be able to know when we know everything there is to know?
How would we know what we don’t know that we don’t know?
The (34,7)c/156 caterpillar is finished!!! You can download it here.
Re: Minecraft discussion
I was imagining that Conway's Game of Life should make it to Minecraft somehow.
Let's say they add a new type of flower. Every 5 minutes, it advances one generation. Bone meal will instantly advance it by 10 generations. The trick, though, is that they can't be placed; you have to let them grow into patterns. They initially start in a pond formation; break any one block and it will start to become a honey farm. As most common still lifes can't grow if you remove a cell, you'll have to harvest the flower as it's in the middle of a sequence or place a block in advance as an obstacle if you're going to be absent for a while.
Using the new flower in suspicious stew gives you the Resistance effect for 8 seconds.
One possible example of how to farm this flower without having it die is shown below. If you do let it settle afterwards (maybe you're in multiplayer and you have to sleep in real life), removing the correct cell from a long boat will put it into the century sequence.
Let's say they add a new type of flower. Every 5 minutes, it advances one generation. Bone meal will instantly advance it by 10 generations. The trick, though, is that they can't be placed; you have to let them grow into patterns. They initially start in a pond formation; break any one block and it will start to become a honey farm. As most common still lifes can't grow if you remove a cell, you'll have to harvest the flower as it's in the middle of a sequence or place a block in advance as an obstacle if you're going to be absent for a while.
Using the new flower in suspicious stew gives you the Resistance effect for 8 seconds.
One possible example of how to farm this flower without having it die is shown below. If you do let it settle afterwards (maybe you're in multiplayer and you have to sleep in real life), removing the correct cell from a long boat will put it into the century sequence.
Code: Select all
x = 68, y = 9, rule = B3/S23
4bo55b3o$3b3o$2b5o25bo26bobobo$b2o3b2o25bo25b2ob2o$3o3b3o25bo22b2o5b2o
$b2o3b2o21b5obo19bo2bo2bo2bo2bo$2b5o27bo20bobo2bobo2bobo$3b3o27bo21bo
5bo$32bo!
User:HotdogPi/My discoveries
Periods discovered:
All evens ≤128 except 52,58,78,82,92,94,98,104,118,122
5-15,㉕-㉛,㉟㊺,51,63,65,73,75
1㊳㊵㊹㊼㊽,54,56,72,74,80,90,92
217,240,300,486,576
Guns: 20,21,32,54,55,57,114,117,124,126
SKOPs: 32,74,76,102,196
Periods discovered:
All evens ≤128 except 52,58,78,82,92,94,98,104,118,122
5-15,㉕-㉛,㉟㊺,51,63,65,73,75
1㊳㊵㊹㊼㊽,54,56,72,74,80,90,92
217,240,300,486,576
Guns: 20,21,32,54,55,57,114,117,124,126
SKOPs: 32,74,76,102,196
-
Anonymous Glider
- Posts: 6
- Joined: August 28th, 2020, 12:06 pm
- Location: Somewhere (probably)
Re: Minecraft discussion
Some screenshots of my redstone computer:
Re: Minecraft discussion
I believe redstone computer and the like are trivial to anyone here.
On the other hoof, my battling skills are as bad as my chess play.
I often play a superflat world with the time always being night, and give myself diamond swords and diamond helmets and the like to me. I did pretty bad in it.
On the other hoof, my battling skills are as bad as my chess play.
I often play a superflat world with the time always being night, and give myself diamond swords and diamond helmets and the like to me. I did pretty bad in it.
-
Schiaparelliorbust
- Posts: 3686
- Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
- Location: Acidalia Planitia
Re: Minecraft discussion
Not for me. I understand what individual components do mostly (even comparators), but I simply cannot understand how they work together, and stuff like BUD powering and quasi-connectivity make it even worse.Hunting wrote: February 26th, 2021, 12:24 pm I believe redstone computer and the like are trivial to anyone here.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
Re: Minecraft discussion
I have no idea how to build a redstone computer or how a redstone computer even works. The only thing I can remember that is computer related are the truth tables for all the logic gates, but I don't know how to use logic gates to make a computer in MC, let alone program a redstone computer in MC. Someone once suggested that I use a tool called nandgame to help me out, but learning anything from that game is either difficult or straight up impossible for me.Schiaparelliorbust wrote: February 26th, 2021, 12:29 pmNot for me. I understand what individual components do mostly (even comparators), but I simply cannot understand how they work together, and stuff like BUD powering and quasi-connectivity make it even worse.Hunting wrote: February 26th, 2021, 12:24 pm I believe redstone computer and the like are trivial to anyone here.
Puffer Suppressor
Would we be able to know when we know everything there is to know?
How would we know what we don’t know that we don’t know?
The (34,7)c/156 caterpillar is finished!!! You can download it here.
Would we be able to know when we know everything there is to know?
How would we know what we don’t know that we don’t know?
The (34,7)c/156 caterpillar is finished!!! You can download it here.
Re: Minecraft discussion
^PC101 wrote: February 27th, 2021, 3:50 pmI have no idea how to build a redstone computer or how a redstone computer even works. The only thing I can remember that is computer related are the truth tables for all the logic gates, but I don't know how to use logic gates to make a computer in MC, let alone program a redstone computer in MC. Someone once suggested that I use a tool called nandgame to help me out, but learning anything from that game is either difficult or straight up impossible for me.Schiaparelliorbust wrote: February 26th, 2021, 12:29 pmNot for me. I understand what individual components do mostly (even comparators), but I simply cannot understand how they work together, and stuff like BUD powering and quasi-connectivity make it even worse.Hunting wrote: February 26th, 2021, 12:24 pm I believe redstone computer and the like are trivial to anyone here.
I know how to make logic gates and stuff and how to make basic things but frankly I have no idea how to put logic gates together to make a computer.
κ is measurable iff there is a nontrivial elementary embedding j:V→M (M transitive) with critical point κ
-
Schiaparelliorbust
- Posts: 3686
- Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am
- Location: Acidalia Planitia
Re: Minecraft discussion
I mean me too. I can make something like a full adder or anything really simple and maybe (emphasis on maybe) a computer, depending on how you define it. I guess something directly based on a Turing machine is probably simple enough, but I really don't know what Anonymous Glider's computer is exactly. I might actually try to make one myself now now that I've said that it's at least possible.Moosey wrote: February 27th, 2021, 5:45 pm ^
I know how to make logic gates and stuff and how to make basic things but frankly I have no idea how to put logic gates together to make a computer.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere
Re: Minecraft discussion
What things exist in both Life and Minecraft?
- Block
- Boat
- Beacon
- Pond
- Cap (in Minecraft, it's what the leather head armor is called, while other materials are helmets)
- Loaf (just called bread in Minecraft, although the picture is clearly a loaf of bread
- Beehive (as of a recent Minecraft update), and if you create one, a honey farm
- Logic gates
- Turing machine (limited by size in Minecraft)
- Tick (more of a concept than a thing)
- Clock
- Spider
- Swine (called pigs in Minecraft, but they're synonyms)
- Cow
- Rabbits/bunnies
- Fox
- Sometimes the XWSSes are called fish
- Heart
- Explosion (in OCA)
User:HotdogPi/My discoveries
Periods discovered:
All evens ≤128 except 52,58,78,82,92,94,98,104,118,122
5-15,㉕-㉛,㉟㊺,51,63,65,73,75
1㊳㊵㊹㊼㊽,54,56,72,74,80,90,92
217,240,300,486,576
Guns: 20,21,32,54,55,57,114,117,124,126
SKOPs: 32,74,76,102,196
Periods discovered:
All evens ≤128 except 52,58,78,82,92,94,98,104,118,122
5-15,㉕-㉛,㉟㊺,51,63,65,73,75
1㊳㊵㊹㊼㊽,54,56,72,74,80,90,92
217,240,300,486,576
Guns: 20,21,32,54,55,57,114,117,124,126
SKOPs: 32,74,76,102,196
Re: Minecraft discussion
B3/S23 exists in minecraft as well, as a quick google search reveals.
κ is measurable iff there is a nontrivial elementary embedding j:V→M (M transitive) with critical point κ
Re: Minecraft discussion
Well at the very least, you could put together a ByteByteJump, which is all of a technicality a computer.Moosey wrote: February 27th, 2021, 5:45 pm^PC101 wrote: February 27th, 2021, 3:50 pmI have no idea how to build a redstone computer or how a redstone computer even works. The only thing I can remember that is computer related are the truth tables for all the logic gates, but I don't know how to use logic gates to make a computer in MC, let alone program a redstone computer in MC. Someone once suggested that I use a tool called nandgame to help me out, but learning anything from that game is either difficult or straight up impossible for me.Schiaparelliorbust wrote: February 26th, 2021, 12:29 pm
Not for me. I understand what individual components do mostly (even comparators), but I simply cannot understand how they work together, and stuff like BUD powering and quasi-connectivity make it even worse.
I know how to make logic gates and stuff and how to make basic things but frankly I have no idea how to put logic gates together to make a computer.
Re: Minecraft discussion
Can anyone help me find where on the internet this screenshot was posted? (and if the original poster also provided a world download for the build)
By searching this image on google I found out about something called Project Eden (this: https://www.planetminecraft.com/project/eden-57694/), but I'm not sure if this planetminecraft page has the original map from the screenshot.
Puffer Suppressor
Would we be able to know when we know everything there is to know?
How would we know what we don’t know that we don’t know?
The (34,7)c/156 caterpillar is finished!!! You can download it here.
Would we be able to know when we know everything there is to know?
How would we know what we don’t know that we don’t know?
The (34,7)c/156 caterpillar is finished!!! You can download it here.
- Alexander Yu
- Posts: 118
- Joined: July 13th, 2021, 5:34 pm
Re: Minecraft discussion
many people have done this already: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... me+of+life
Puffer Suppressor
Would we be able to know when we know everything there is to know?
How would we know what we don’t know that we don’t know?
The (34,7)c/156 caterpillar is finished!!! You can download it here.
Would we be able to know when we know everything there is to know?
How would we know what we don’t know that we don’t know?
The (34,7)c/156 caterpillar is finished!!! You can download it here.
Re: Minecraft discussion
I know it has been over a year since the last post but I found these interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3zWK-lN39U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zL7hI_jNrY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFCMuf96tPc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3zWK-lN39U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zL7hI_jNrY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFCMuf96tPc
Puffer Suppressor
Would we be able to know when we know everything there is to know?
How would we know what we don’t know that we don’t know?
The (34,7)c/156 caterpillar is finished!!! You can download it here.
Would we be able to know when we know everything there is to know?
How would we know what we don’t know that we don’t know?
The (34,7)c/156 caterpillar is finished!!! You can download it here.
- hotcrystal0
- Posts: 4637
- Joined: July 3rd, 2020, 5:32 pm
- Location: wherever you think I am
Re: Minecraft discussion
I know it has been two years since the last post, but this post is worth it.
I thought of an interesting idea for a custom Catagolue symmetry involving Minecraft:
1. Take a seed and isolate a radius of chunks around spawn
2. Treat slime chunks as ON cells and non-slime chunks as OFF cells
3. Upload the “soup” to Catagolue
Can someone actually make this?
I thought of an interesting idea for a custom Catagolue symmetry involving Minecraft:
1. Take a seed and isolate a radius of chunks around spawn
2. Treat slime chunks as ON cells and non-slime chunks as OFF cells
3. Upload the “soup” to Catagolue
Can someone actually make this?
110 days until New York's age verification law goes into effect.
Code: Select all
x = 192, y = 53, rule = B3/S23
33$42b4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o3$41b2o$39bo6bo$38bo8bo$38bo8bo$38b9o3$42b
4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o!Re: Minecraft discussion
There are already tools like Chunk Base and Amidst that can generate maps of worlds using seeds without having to render an actual Minecraft world in-game. If anyone wanted to they could use these tools to apply your idea.hotcrystal0 wrote: July 7th, 2025, 6:08 pm I know it has been two years since the last post, but this post is worth it.
I thought of an interesting idea for a custom Catagolue symmetry involving Minecraft:
1. Take a seed and isolate a radius of chunks around spawn
2. Treat slime chunks as ON cells and non-slime chunks as OFF cells
3. Upload the “soup” to Catagolue
Can someone actually make this?
Chunk Base: https://www.chunkbase.com/apps/slime-finder
Amidst: https://github.com/toolbox4minecraft/amidst
Also, to add to the earlier discussion in this thread about CGOL in Minecraft, here is a video where someone added CGOL to Minecraft:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlWDySJoTiE
Puffer Suppressor
Would we be able to know when we know everything there is to know?
How would we know what we don’t know that we don’t know?
The (34,7)c/156 caterpillar is finished!!! You can download it here.
Would we be able to know when we know everything there is to know?
How would we know what we don’t know that we don’t know?
The (34,7)c/156 caterpillar is finished!!! You can download it here.
- hotcrystal0
- Posts: 4637
- Joined: July 3rd, 2020, 5:32 pm
- Location: wherever you think I am
Re: Minecraft discussion
I found a coal vein shaped like a century in snoyw:
110 days until New York's age verification law goes into effect.
Code: Select all
x = 192, y = 53, rule = B3/S23
33$42b4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o3$41b2o$39bo6bo$38bo8bo$38bo8bo$38b9o3$42b
4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o!- Entity Valkyrie 2
- Posts: 2123
- Joined: February 26th, 2019, 7:13 pm
- Contact:
Re: Minecraft discussion
Recently, I made Conway's Game of Life in Minecraft using redstone:
The unit cell is 6x6:
The Blue Section toggles on/off the cell. It has an input button connected to it. Apart from the cell display, it also extends the four pistons near the corners [A]. It also extends a piston in the center, which is connected to composters giving signal strength of 1 (when off) and 2 (when on) [ B ], as well as a redstone line which is only on when the cell is off [C].
The Pink Section is made up of signal of strength 4, as well as eight comparators in subtract mode. The eight comparators represent the eight neighbors of the cell, and their side input is in the Green Section.
When the cell is on, [A] sends a signal to the Green Section of every neighboring cell, inputting a side signal strength of 1 into one of the comparators in that cell's Pink Section. This 1 is subtracted from the signal strength of 4 coming from the start of the Pink Section. The output signal strength of the Pink Section is 4 minus the number of neighbors [D].
The Yellow Section is made up of several comparison circuits. The main input is [D], which is connected to a redstone torch [E], as well as the side input of a comparator (whose signal strength is set by [ B ]) which runs into another redstone torch [F]. Then, [E] and [F] are OR-ed together [G], and then [G] is XOR-ed with [C]. This result [H] determines if the cell needs to switch state next generation.
When a cell is off ([ B ] = 1, [C] = on):
[A] ≤ 2 → [D] ≥ 2 → [F] = on → [G] = on → [H] = off
[A] = 3 → [D] = 1 → [E] [F] both off → [G] = off → [H] = on
[A] ≥ 4 → [D] = 0 → [E] = on → [G] = on → [H] = off
When a cell is on ([ B ] = 2, [C] = off):
[A] ≤ 1 → [D] ≥ 3 → [F] = on → [G] = on → [H] = on
[A] = 2 or 3 → [D] = 1 or 2 → [E] [F] both off → [G] = off → [H] = off
[A] ≥ 4 → [D] = 0 → [E] = on → [G] = on → [H] = on
The Gray Section triggers the cell to transition into the next generation — [H] is fed back into the Blue Section. It also disconnects the input button, so that attempting to change the state of a cell during its transition wouldn't result in anything. The input of the Gray Section is a 4-tick pulse connected to lines of instant repeaters, so that no NaiveLife behavior will arise.
The Pink Section is made up of signal of strength 4, as well as eight comparators in subtract mode. The eight comparators represent the eight neighbors of the cell, and their side input is in the Green Section.
When the cell is on, [A] sends a signal to the Green Section of every neighboring cell, inputting a side signal strength of 1 into one of the comparators in that cell's Pink Section. This 1 is subtracted from the signal strength of 4 coming from the start of the Pink Section. The output signal strength of the Pink Section is 4 minus the number of neighbors [D].
The Yellow Section is made up of several comparison circuits. The main input is [D], which is connected to a redstone torch [E], as well as the side input of a comparator (whose signal strength is set by [ B ]) which runs into another redstone torch [F]. Then, [E] and [F] are OR-ed together [G], and then [G] is XOR-ed with [C]. This result [H] determines if the cell needs to switch state next generation.
When a cell is off ([ B ] = 1, [C] = on):
[A] ≤ 2 → [D] ≥ 2 → [F] = on → [G] = on → [H] = off
[A] = 3 → [D] = 1 → [E] [F] both off → [G] = off → [H] = on
[A] ≥ 4 → [D] = 0 → [E] = on → [G] = on → [H] = off
When a cell is on ([ B ] = 2, [C] = off):
[A] ≤ 1 → [D] ≥ 3 → [F] = on → [G] = on → [H] = on
[A] = 2 or 3 → [D] = 1 or 2 → [E] [F] both off → [G] = off → [H] = off
[A] ≥ 4 → [D] = 0 → [E] = on → [G] = on → [H] = on
The Gray Section triggers the cell to transition into the next generation — [H] is fed back into the Blue Section. It also disconnects the input button, so that attempting to change the state of a cell during its transition wouldn't result in anything. The input of the Gray Section is a 4-tick pulse connected to lines of instant repeaters, so that no NaiveLife behavior will arise.
Bx222 IS MY WORST ENEMY.
HyperConway — explore cellular automata on HyperRogue's hyperbolic tiling
Creator of the rule StateInvestigator
Please click here for my own pages (and oscillator stamp collections)
HyperConway — explore cellular automata on HyperRogue's hyperbolic tiling
Creator of the rule StateInvestigator
Please click here for my own pages (and oscillator stamp collections)
-
Haycat2009
- Posts: 1053
- Joined: April 26th, 2023, 5:47 am
- Location: Bahar Junction, Zumaland
Re: Minecraft discussion
...But how.Hunting wrote: February 26th, 2021, 12:24 pm I believe redstone computer and the like are trivial to anyone here.
On the other hoof, my battling skills are as bad as my chess play.
I often play a superflat world with the time always being night, and give myself diamond swords and diamond helmets and the like to me. I did pretty bad in it.
~ Haycat Durnak, a hard-working editor
Also, support Conway and Friends story mode!
I mean no harm to those who have tested me. But do not take this for granted.
Also, support Conway and Friends story mode!
I mean no harm to those who have tested me. But do not take this for granted.
- hotcrystal0
- Posts: 4637
- Joined: July 3rd, 2020, 5:32 pm
- Location: wherever you think I am
Re: Minecraft discussion
Has anyone ever tried to simulate an INT rule using redstone? Is it possible?
110 days until New York's age verification law goes into effect.
Code: Select all
x = 192, y = 53, rule = B3/S23
33$42b4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o3$41b2o$39bo6bo$38bo8bo$38bo8bo$38b9o3$42b
4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o!- b-engine
- Posts: 3762
- Joined: October 26th, 2023, 4:11 am
- Location: Somewhere on where Earth At
- Contact:
Re: Minecraft discussion
Since Minecraft is Turing complete, and someone had even made a LLM in it, a metacell won't be impossible. Unless Minecraft is 2D.hotcrystal0 wrote: November 29th, 2025, 10:05 am Has anyone ever tried to simulate an INT rule using redstone? Is it possible?
Try INT Minesweeper
Re: Minecraft discussion
I found out about this today. I think it's very cool although I have not tried it myself.
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... craft_and/
It might be difficult to set up because this project has not been updated in several years.
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... craft_and/
It might be difficult to set up because this project has not been updated in several years.
Puffer Suppressor
Would we be able to know when we know everything there is to know?
How would we know what we don’t know that we don’t know?
The (34,7)c/156 caterpillar is finished!!! You can download it here.
Would we be able to know when we know everything there is to know?
How would we know what we don’t know that we don’t know?
The (34,7)c/156 caterpillar is finished!!! You can download it here.