Page 1 of 14

otismo

Posted: August 18th, 2010, 10:51 pm
by otismo
the newest member -

my GoL page is at:

http://gol.fav.uno

Cheers!

Re: otismo

Posted: August 19th, 2010, 12:57 pm
by ssaamm
Hello and welcome! I see you have quite a few interesting pages on GoL! I like what is on that website, but :roll: you might want to redesign it. No offense, but it is hard to use. Other than that, though, you have a nice collection. It would help if you made some rle's, though. I made the website go way faster just by blocking the background.

Re: otismo

Posted: August 19th, 2010, 1:38 pm
by Lewis
I found a much smaller predecessor of the 88-cell still-life surrounding the blinker shown on the website:

Code: Select all

x = 25, y = 25, rule = 23/3
b3o17b3o$o2bo17bo2bo$o23bo$2o21b2o$6b2o9b2o$7bo9bo$4bo2bo9bo2b
o$4b3o11b3o10$4b3o11b3o$4bo2bo9bo2bo$7bo9bo$6b2o9b2o$2o21b2o$
o23bo$o2bo17bo2bo$b3o17b3o!
I don't know if a) the 16-cell quarters of the pattern can be reduced, and b) if the 8 external blinkers can be removed.
Then, it may be possible to create a glider synthesis for the large object.

EDIT: Using the same small seed and some different still lifes, I found another large 4-way symmetric still life:

Code: Select all

x = 57, y = 57, rule = 23/3
19bo17bo$19bo17bo$19bo17bo9$25bo5bo$25b2o3b2o$26bo3bo3$17b3o17b
3o$16bo2bo17bo2bo$16bo23bo$3o13b2o21b2o13b3o$22b2o9b2o$23bo9b
o$20bo2bo9bo2bo$20b3o11b3o2$11b2o31b2o$12b2o29b2o4$12b2o29b2o
$11b2o31b2o2$20b3o11b3o$20bo2bo9bo2bo$23bo9bo$22b2o9b2o$3o13b
2o21b2o13b3o$16bo23bo$16bo2bo17bo2bo$17b3o17b3o3$26bo3bo$25b2o
3b2o$25bo5bo9$19bo17bo$19bo17bo$19bo17bo!
Do large symmetric still lifes like this ever occur naturally?

Re: otismo

Posted: August 19th, 2010, 3:32 pm
by apg
Do large symmetric still lifes like this ever occur naturally?
In moderately-sized random Di(8) 'octosymmetric' universes? Probably.

In moderately-sized random asymmetric universes? Improbably.

Re: otismo

Posted: August 19th, 2010, 5:06 pm
by Lewis
Have any large-scale censuses been done using octo-symmetric universes? I used to (using WinLife32) run long narrow soups with one line of symmetry, but I never really found anything interesting, aside from 'cis-mirrored' objects and more common pulsars and pentadecathlons.

Re: otismo

Posted: February 11th, 2019, 10:45 am
by otismo
some new GoL Pages :

all
http://gol.fav.uno/ all patterns
foxeo
http://gol.foxeo.com/ one foxeo
http://gol.cybr.pw/ dev foxeo (3)
wwc
http://wwc.jct.onl/ wire world computer
cpu
http://cpu.jct.onl/ working CPU simulation
imp
http://imp.foxeo.com/ imprimatur
http://imp.jct.onl/ imprimatur
http://imp.owd.me/ imprimatur (3)
lex
http://gol.owd.me/ my mod lexicon

http://londonkid.com/ project

http://myfine.design/ art

;-)

Re: otismo

Posted: February 11th, 2019, 1:09 pm
by Hdjensofjfnen
otismo wrote: more coming - with FREE GIFT downloads...

;-)
I am not sure what you're getting at.

Re: otismo

Posted: February 11th, 2019, 1:13 pm
by Moosey
Hdjensofjfnen wrote:
otismo wrote: more coming - with FREE GIFT downloads...

;-)
I am not sure what you're getting at.
Also, otismo bumped a thread from nine or so years ago!
Half the people who posted here haven’t posted on the forums for five years or so!

Re: otismo

Posted: February 11th, 2019, 6:57 pm
by 77topaz
Are those actually CGoL pages, or just spam? Taking the presentation into account, I'm a bit hesitant to click the links... then again, I don't think most spammers are patient enough to hold onto one account for nine years.

Re: otismo

Posted: February 11th, 2019, 7:00 pm
by Moosey
77topaz wrote:Are those actually CGoL pages, or just spam? Taking the presentation into account, I'm a bit hesitant to click the links... then again, I don't think most spammers are patient enough to hold onto one account for nine years.
Yeah, I was wondering whether this was spam.

Re: otismo

Posted: February 11th, 2019, 7:32 pm
by dvgrn
Moosey wrote:
77topaz wrote:Are those actually CGoL pages, or just spam? Taking the presentation into account, I'm a bit hesitant to click the links... then again, I don't think most spammers are patient enough to hold onto one account for nine years.
Yeah, I was wondering whether this was spam.
I checked many of the links, and while some do have a slightly spammish flavor, the majority of the ones I checked were actually Life patterns -- it's just that they might be Life patterns for scrolling ticker mechanisms that spell out "Foxeo", or something like that.

Another one is a metafied version of a random-looking ash pattern plus one glider -- turned out to be a (meta) seed for a pulsar plus another large and somewhat rare still life. It's the kind of discovery that people can get wildly enthusiastic about for a while, until they notice that Catagolue is harboring thousands of similarly wild coincidences. But anyway, definitely not a spambot, unless they've learned how to build their own complex Life patterns now.

-- Welcome back, otismo! It's been a long almost-nine-years, with a lot of spambot posts coming in... and that being the case, downloadable "FREE GIFTS" may end up getting treated with a distinct lack of enthusiasm around here. But lots of people should be very impressed at your ability to remember your password for so long.

A couple of links did go to something that might be considered advertisements, but they seemed to be just those relatively harmless "can't find any content -- want to buy this domain?" generic messages, which might have been just an accident creating all those links. (?)

Re: otismo

Posted: August 26th, 2019, 8:33 pm
by otismo
I up-loaded my to-do list by mistake -

All links are now either finished or well - enough along...

Thank You for visiting !

( I try to have a free gift - just for visiting - on every page )

Re: otismo

Posted: August 26th, 2019, 11:12 pm
by Hdjensofjfnen
I thought you disappeared a long time ago.

Re: otismo

Posted: August 27th, 2019, 4:09 am
by otismo
No time for anything frivolous

GOD IS, and you ain't, Unless GOD IS - and that's all there is.....

Here in Orlando Florida there is a Conway neighborhood, with Conway Street the main drag, north and south,

AND there is even a Lake Conway - time to think seriously :

Mecca

Think : Bigger than Disney, even.....

Here is your fav osc, with the two eater blocks.

Now it is MY favosc ;-)

Code: Select all

#CXRLE Pos=-50,-23
x = 45, y = 43, rule = B3/S2-i3-y4i
2o$2o20$42b3o$44bo$38bo3b3o$38b2o$39bo16$4b2o$4b2o!

Code: Select all

#CXRLE Pos=-50,-23
x = 45, y = 43, rule = B3/S2-i3-y4i
2o$2o20$42b3o$44bo$38bo3b3o$38b2o$39bo16$4b2o$4b2o!

Re: otismo

Posted: August 27th, 2019, 4:56 am
by otismo
The very first WebSite I ever built, http://angelfire.com/linux/lifepages

Still there - CGoL - mostly art, using Mirek's java cellebration and Maydwell's author

But javacode is deprecated - author was the best lil webpage generator EVER

George dealt with colors perfect - I wish somebody would fix that lil app...

Re: otismo

Posted: August 27th, 2019, 6:41 am
by Moosey
otismo wrote:No time for anything frivolous

GOD IS, and you ain't, Unless GOD IS - and that's all there is.....

Here in Orlando Florida there is a Conway neighborhood, with Conway Street the main drag, north and south,

AND there is even a Lake Conway - time to think seriously :

Mecca

Think : Bigger than Disney, even.....

Here is your fav osc, with the two eater blocks.

Now it is MY favosc ;-)
???
Congratulations, otismo: you have made the most unusual post of all time!

Re: otismo

Posted: August 27th, 2019, 7:21 am
by GUYTU6J
I fail to see why this, this, this and this are notable. In addition, why are you promoting "foxeo.com"?

Re: otismo

Posted: August 27th, 2019, 7:25 am
by dvgrn
otismo wrote:But javacode is deprecated - author was the best lil webpage generator EVER

George dealt with colors perfect - I wish somebody would fix that lil app...
I haven't heard from George Maydwell for quite a while -- last email was 2007, plus a brief appearance on the forums in 2011.

At this point, though, a little bit of setup work with Chris Rowett's Javascript LifeViewer could easily duplicate quite a lot of what Maydwell's Java applets could do, plus handling various new rule types (like Larger than Life). Custom colors and color ramps can be added with script commands, etc. Might be worth doing a little experimenting.

Re: otismo

Posted: August 27th, 2019, 4:46 pm
by otismo
Its like, WAR

First, java works on my machine

Then I get an update from MicroSoft

And java no longer works

Then I get an update from Oracle

And java is working again

Till I get the next MicroSoft update

The problem is that both java AND php

Have become too powerful

And get blocked by anti-malware, antivirus, and firewall

And who has firewall on Windows machines ?

MicroSoft.

AND they have their own snake, ASP

Just waiting to take over the Internet.

Fortunately, we ( the Humble Dudes of the Open Source, may GOD bless )

Have our own snake, Python

After ten years of thinking about it ( to do myself )

And trying to get other ( busy ) people to do it

( I think I emailed Tom Rokicki once, and others )

Nine years later I find the .py script for Golly

That I've always wanted, and dreamed about

RIGHT HERE on Page One

Of the Golly Scripts Forum

Was contributed by PM 2Ring in 2009

And fixed by Andrew Treverow for Golly 2.0 and later

Right on page two of the Golly Scripts Forum

Nine Years Ago ( but, if it had been there, I would almost certainly have found it, unless maybe I'm blind )

Now I have to ask you guys to do a .lua version, just in case they kill our snake

All my prior art will just have to wait for some bodies HTML 5 CSS Canvas web display implementation

Unless I get around to making my own ( doubtful...)

I ripped George Maydwell's Collideoscope WebSite ( it was SO good, I wanted my own offline copy )

Now all java code is deprecated ( don't you just love that word, who comes up with these words ? )

The World is full of Hobblers and Cobblers

Whether it is your car or your website or whatever

So I do not get ambitious anymore

Thank You !

Cheers !

;-)

Re: otismo

Posted: August 27th, 2019, 5:09 pm
by otismo
I was going to be a Content Management Systems Specialist

So I study Drupal Joomla WordPress OScommerce etc.

My FAV is WonderCMS ( short sweet and simple )

But in the meanwhile ( ten years )

Box.com have achieved over 70% penetration of Fortune 500

( ticker symbol BOX and they went out and spent the money and bought their own domain, box.com )

PBI Pitney Bowes the most valuable thing they own is their name

It is now a buyers market in domain names

Everything is for sale and nobody is buying ( except me I guess - have to be carefull - can't be like a kid in a

Candy Store )

;-)

Re: otismo

Posted: August 27th, 2019, 5:38 pm
by otismo
For Twenty Years

I have been telling people they need a safe place to practice their GodLike Powers

Not play play play silly string etc. ( till you get "all strung out man" )

( I tweeted at Lisa Randall what do you make of the idea that our Pineal "Glands"

Generate Cosmic Strings and Cosmic Membranes - no response... )

Now everybody is getting on the "simulation bandwagon" from Elon Musk to Neil DeGasse

Precision is the Lingua Franca of the Civilised World

Einstein was correct in saying that we would have to wait

Until the Universe of Commonly Accepted Ideas expanded sufficiently

Now YouTube is just chock full of all kinds of harebrained ideas

People need a Hero to help them make sense of it all :

Viro ( a.k.a. "glider" ) Viro.Pet viropet.com

And the safe place to practice their Godlike Powers

Is Golly T.Y.V.M.

;-)

Re: otismo

Posted: August 27th, 2019, 6:00 pm
by Moosey
What is the etymology of "viro"?

Re: otismo

Posted: August 27th, 2019, 6:37 pm
by Gamedziner
Moderators, please move this thread to the Sandbox.

Re: otismo

Posted: August 27th, 2019, 6:40 pm
by Moosey
Gamedziner wrote:Moderators, please move this thread to the Sandbox.
Good idea.


What are otismo's huge posts? Are they poetry? It's set up that way but I see no other indication it is poetry.

Re: otismo

Posted: August 27th, 2019, 8:25 pm
by Ian07