Page 1 of 1
Conlang ideas
Posted: November 23rd, 2020, 9:28 pm
by fluffykitty
Post ideas for hypothetical conlangs here.
Re: Conlang ideas
Posted: November 24th, 2020, 8:02 am
by Saka
fluffykitty wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 9:28 pm
Post ideas for hypothetical conlangs here.
no need for conlangs here
Indonesian has "setahuku" for "AFAIK"
Im sure some natural language with subject verb agreement has a one word "IDK" sentence as well but I dont know any. Probably gonna be something like
know-NEG-1S
(with different ordering)
Re: Conlang ideas
Posted: November 24th, 2020, 9:39 am
by Schiaparelliorbust
Saka wrote: November 24th, 2020, 8:02 am
no need for conlangs here
Indonesian has "setahuku" for "AFAIK"
Im sure some natural language with subject verb agreement has a one word "IDK" sentence as well but I dont know any. Probably gonna be something like
know-NEG-1S
(with different ordering)
Can you break down "setahuku"?
Ideas:
- All suffixes about people have variations based on gender.
- All family members are gender-neutral, you have to put male/female before it to specify.
Re: Conlang ideas
Posted: November 24th, 2020, 9:55 am
by Saka
It's derived from
se-tahu-ku
I'm not really sure how to explain the "se-" prefix here, but a clunky equivalent is "as [x]", like sebanyak = as much as, where "banyak" means "a lot".
The -ku indicates a 1st person singular.
"seingatku" also means "as I remember", or to be more fitting to the "AFAIK" example, "IIRC". "Ingat" means "to remember".
Re: Conlang ideas
Posted: November 24th, 2020, 12:35 pm
by Moosey
conlang where the word for "AFAIK" is <afaik>
Re: Conlang ideas
Posted: November 24th, 2020, 3:11 pm
by fluffykitty
Saka wrote: November 24th, 2020, 8:02 am
Im sure some natural language with subject verb agreement has a one word "IDK" sentence as well but I dont know any. Probably gonna be something like
know-NEG-1S
(with different ordering)
Latin
nescio, "NEG-know-1S"