Page 1 of 1
50th anniversary of Martin Gardner's article
Posted: October 7th, 2020, 10:02 am
by apg
I'm not sure exactly which day it was published, but it was this month:
http://www.ibiblio.org/lifepatterns/october1970.html
Do you think we should keep an archived copy on the LifeWiki, as has been done for LifeLine?
Re: 50th anniversary of Martin Gardner's article
Posted: October 7th, 2020, 12:01 pm
by bubblegum
For whatever reason the link does not include the images of the challenge patterns, the glider, or the beautiful discoveries.
Code: Select all
x = 68, y = 40, rule = B3/S23
62b2o$62b2o2$12bo5bob3o37b4o$11b3o4bobo15b2o5bo5bo6b2obo4bo$5b2o5bo5b
5o4bobo7bo3bobo4bo2bo4b2ob2o3bo$4b2o6bo7bobo4b3o4bo7bobo3bo2bo7bo2bobo
b2o$5bo6bo5b3obo4bobo4b2o6bo7bo8bobo2bob2o$60b4o2$60b2o$60b2o4$5bo$6bo
$4b3o9$33b3o3b3o$6bo$5bobo14b3o6bo4bobo4bo$5bobo14b3o6bo4bobo4bo$6bo
15b3o6bo4bobo4bo$19b3o11b3o3b3o$b2o7b2o7b3o$o2bo5bo2bo6b3o11b3o3b3o$b
2o7b2o19bo4bobo4bo$31bo4bobo4bo$6bo24bo4bobo4bo$5bobo$5bobo25b3o3b3o$
6bo!
Re: 50th anniversary of Martin Gardner's article
Posted: November 17th, 2020, 4:24 am
by Kris
Time just flies by....
Re: 50th anniversary of Martin Gardner's article
Posted: November 17th, 2020, 5:09 am
by Yoel
There is a readable preview of the first page on Jstor:
https://www.jstor.org/stable/24927642?seq=1
Re: 50th anniversary of Martin Gardner's article
Posted: December 29th, 2020, 9:35 am
by dvgrn
This
article by Siobhan Roberts about Life's 50th anniversary went online yesterday, and is apparently in the print edition of the New York Times today. It mentions a couple of 2020 spaceship disoveries, but came out just slightly too soon to be able to mention
Anura in the same breath. Such is Life.
The article link was posted to Hacker News three times
yesterday, but didn't get much attention there. Anyone want to mention it on the cellular-automata subreddit, or try submitting it to Slashdot or some such?
EDIT: Hang on, it's out there on Slashdot as of
this morning! I don't think there's been a Conway's-Life-related article on Slashdot since the Tetris computer was mentioned several years ago. Guess I'll head over there and mention some interesting things that didn't make it into the article --
Re: 50th anniversary of Martin Gardner's article
Posted: December 29th, 2020, 6:14 pm
by pcallahan
Good article. It completely escaped my notice if it was on the NYT online front page yesterday.
I liked the selection of quotes too. I'm always interested in hearing anything from William Poundstone, because he seems to stay up to date on Life without ever communicating directly with anyone from the community as far as I know. Also Rudy Rucker, who I met a couple of times, last was about 20 years ago. I was aware of Brian Eno's interest in Life from an old interview in the 90s.
Stephen Wolfram was uncharacteristically humble, acknowledging work done by people other than himself.
In Life there’s 50 years of “engineering development,” just applied to configurations of bits. It’s the purest example I know of the dynamics of collective human innovation.
I glanced at the discussion on slashdot, but nothing really caught my interest there.
Re: 50th anniversary of Martin Gardner's article
Posted: July 23rd, 2022, 5:40 pm
by ddyer
Ah the memories! I was in high school, and spent a week wandering the halls with a box
of map pins and a piece of graph paper glued to a piece of cardboard.
Re: 50th anniversary of Martin Gardner's article
Posted: July 23rd, 2022, 5:47 pm
by squareroot12621
*rubs eyes*
*looks in shock*
Re: 50th anniversary of Martin Gardner's article
Posted: July 23rd, 2022, 7:04 pm
by Book
It was this article that brought me to Life.