Page 1 of 1
creating machines in GOL
Posted: March 2nd, 2019, 5:24 am
by kubuni
I still consider myself a newbie with GOL patterns and object creations. I came across this video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8unMqSp0bFY I was wondering if there was a tutorial on how patterns interact with one another. I would love to make a basic counter or something like this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NDAZ5g4EuU
I would like to start small and try to do more complex things like these.
Re: creating machines in GOL
Posted: March 2nd, 2019, 7:19 am
by dvgrn
There's actually a Life textbook coming along, with step-by-step explanations and end-of-chapter exercises and everything, for building complex mechanisms in Conway's Life. Hopefully it will be done in time for the Martin Gardner Life article's quinquagenary (October 2020) -- but unfortunately it's not quite ready for public release yet!
There actually isn't all that much on pattern-building on the
LifeWiki Tutorials page yet. Maybe you could write a beginner's tutorial once you figure out what you want to know -- but by then you won't be a beginner any more, so that doesn't help you now.
People do write
walkthroughs for creating
various large patterns now and then, but those are usually talking to people who know all the strange jargon already, so might be jumping in too much at the deep end. On the other hand, if you just start looking up the terms in the
LifeWiki, you'll figure it all out eventually.
The usual thing to do is to download Golly, find the patterns you're most interested in in the pattern collection, check the comments for the pattern ("i" keyboard shortcut), and then start experimenting until you understand how the pieces work. For constructions like Coban's computer, maybe start with
Patterns/Life/Signal-Circuitry/p30racetrack.rle and
p46-racetrack.rle.
Re: creating machines in GOL
Posted: March 9th, 2019, 1:59 pm
by pcallahan
dvgrn wrote:
There's actually a Life textbook coming along, with step-by-step explanations and end-of-chapter exercises and everything, for building complex mechanisms in Conway's Life. Hopefully it will be done in time for the Martin Gardner Life article's quinquagenary (October 2020) -- but unfortunately it's not quite ready for public release yet!
There is?! Who's writing it? Does it have a publisher and intended audience? This sounds really cool, and I am surprised it did not come up in the "Broader Audience for CA" discussion. I would like to know more about this.
Re: creating machines in GOL
Posted: November 27th, 2019, 3:40 pm
by otismo
a textbook.
when what we need is a comic book, maybe an adventure comic book.
promotion : expand the audience.
But I want that Textbook.
We need to be ready for really big screen TV.
Re: creating machines in GOL
Posted: March 23rd, 2020, 10:20 am
by Hunting
Meanwhile, I could write something on the LifeWiki tutorial... In case that some people don't have enough patience.
And I'm still a newbie on pattern construction.
otismo wrote: November 27th, 2019, 3:40 pm
a textbook.
when what we need is a comic book, maybe an adventure comic book.
Sure, I had the idea some while ago - but that would not cover most part of the CGoL world. For example, what happens when it past through a glider splitter? What happens when it is transformed into a Herschel? What happens when it joins a synthesis? What happens when it crashes into something else? Those are ill-defined.
Re: creating machines in GOL
Posted: March 23rd, 2020, 4:36 pm
by otismo
they could all be defined as adventures in an adventure comic book
America was not named after its discoverer
it was named after its Promoter