Page 1 of 1

Golly not running on recent versions of Ubuntu

Posted: December 18th, 2018, 1:45 am
by blah
I tried running Golly 3.2 on Ubuntu 18.04, but nothing happens. When running it from a terminal, this shows up:

Code: Select all

$ ./golly
./golly: error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
$ :(
From what I could find by looking that up, I believe Golly is at fault for this. I think any install of a recent enough version of Ubuntu will have this problem?

Re: Golly not running on recent versions of Ubuntu

Posted: January 1st, 2019, 1:22 pm
by Heavpoot
getting something very similar here

Code: Select all

./golly: error while loading shared libraries: libSM.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Re: Golly not running on recent versions of Ubuntu

Posted: January 1st, 2019, 1:28 pm
by Freywa
I think we need to update Golly's libpng dependency in accordance with this question.

Re: Golly not running on recent versions of Ubuntu

Posted: January 12th, 2019, 11:11 pm
by Andrew
blah wrote:I tried running Golly 3.2 on Ubuntu 18.04, but nothing happens.
One of the few things I've learnt about Linux is that it's virtually impossible to distribute a binary that will run on all flavors and versions of Linux.

The "obvious" solution to the above errors would be to download and install the missing shared libraries. If that proves to be difficult or impossible then I can only suggest building Golly yourself. If a Linux noobie like me can do it then anybody can! Download the src tarball from sourceforge and follow the instructions in docs/Build.html.

Re: Golly not running on recent versions of Ubuntu

Posted: December 5th, 2019, 8:38 am
by Scorbie
Just a self reminder; I'm trying to fix this by building an AppImage of Golly for Linux.
It would be helpful for the users to report any missing libraries.

Re: Golly not running on recent versions of Ubuntu

Posted: December 5th, 2019, 8:37 pm
by Scorbie
Proudly presenting the AppImage :)
Oh, file is too big. Well here's the link.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M06CF- ... sp=sharing
License is GPLv2.
Python is licensed as its own license and can be seen inside License.html.
Lua is licensed as MIT.
The licenses for embedded shared libraries are inside the distribution.
Have fun.

Re: Golly not running on recent versions of Ubuntu

Posted: December 6th, 2019, 12:46 am
by wildmyron
Scorbie wrote: December 5th, 2019, 8:37 pm Proudly presenting the AppImage :)
Oh, file is too big. Well here's the link.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M06CF- ... sp=sharing
License is GPLv2.
Python is licensed as its own license and can be seen inside License.html.
Lua is licensed as MIT.
The licenses for embedded shared libraries are inside the distribution.
Have fun.
On Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Old, but still officially supported) I am unable to run the AppImage. Here is the output from running the command:

Code: Select all

$ ./Golly-x86_64.AppImage 
golly: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1: version `ZLIB_1.2.9' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Golly-mAZeC4/usr/lib/libpng16.so.16)
golly: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.25' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Golly-mAZeC4/usr/lib/libbsd.so.0)
On my system I have the following:

Code: Select all

libz.so.1 v1.2.8
libpng12.so.0 v1.2.54
libc.so.6 (GLIBC) v2.23
libbsd.so.0 v0.8.2
As far as I can tell, the official Golly release doesn't depend on libbsd, and neither does Python. Investigating the contents of the AppImage, it appears that the included libcrypt, libblkid, and libmount also depend on GLIBC_2.25. All the other GLIBC dependencies are for versions < 2.20. The libbsd dependency comes from libXdmcp, which on my system doesn't depend on libbsd at all. Not sure if that helps in resolving the issue.

Also, it's unfortunate you need to bundle Python with the AppImage, but I suppose that's one way to make sure it will work. Do you have any idea if it's possible to install additional packages into the bundled Python environment? E.g. numpy, python-lifelib...

Re: Golly not running on recent versions of Ubuntu

Posted: December 6th, 2019, 1:01 am
by Scorbie
Oh no! Thanks for testing, and thanks a LOT for reporting the errors. This
Yeah, this probably means I have to do the packaging also on Ubuntu 14.04, not only building it. I'll start fixing it now but it'll take a while.