One-sided glider gun synthesis

For discussion of specific patterns or specific families of patterns in Conway's Game of Life, both newly-discovered and well-known.
Post Reply
Awesomeness
Posts: 126
Joined: April 5th, 2009, 7:30 am

One-sided glider gun synthesis

Post by Awesomeness »

Anyone have a use for this? It's a one-sided glider gun synthesis. The marks are the future positions of gliders turned the other way.

Code: Select all

x = 56, y = 27, rule = B3/S23
28bobo$28b2o25bo$29bo11bobo9b2o$10bo30b2o11b2o$8b2o32bo$9b2o15bo$27b2o
2$9b2o$13b2o17b3o$13bobo16bo$7bo5bo19bo$6bo11bo$6b3o9bobo$18b2o2$b2o
10b2o$o11bo3$3bo10b2o$2b2o9b2o$2bobo10bo$45bo$26bo17b2o$25b2o17bobo$
25bobo!
Spaced-out version:

Code: Select all

x = 54, y = 43, rule = B3/S23
26bobo$26b2o25bo$27bo11bobo9b2o$8bo30b2o11b2o$6b2o32bo$7b2o6$5bo$4bo
11bo$4b3o9bobo$16b2o11$11b2o17b3o$11bobo16bo$11bo19bo9$bo10b2o$2o9b2o$
obo10bo$43bo$24bo17b2o$23b2o17bobo$23bobo!
Put a bunch of back-rakes together and you have a breeder...
Awesomeness
Posts: 126
Joined: April 5th, 2009, 7:30 am

Re: One-sided glider gun synthesis

Post by Awesomeness »

I like making syntheses. How do people discover syntheses of really complicated, like corderships, 2c5 ships, etc?
Sokwe
Moderator
Posts: 3384
Joined: July 9th, 2009, 2:44 pm

Re: One-sided glider gun synthesis

Post by Sokwe »

Awesomeness wrote:How do people discover syntheses of really complicated, like corderships, 2c5 ships, etc?
There are a few methods for synthesizing complex objects. Many of the know oscillator syntheses have been found by randomly seeded toroidal searches with varying symmetry, which will sometimes yield an easily synthesizable predecessor to the desired pattern. Other syntheses are based on adding or changing components of a simpler object to get a more complex object. This technique is often employed in the task of creating complex still lifes or oscillators with complex stators. The basis of Cordership construction is the fact that the switch engine has a glider synthesis. Glider syntheses of methuselahs and other unstable patterns are often found by brute force enumeration of glider collisions and simple filters for finding the desired results. A good program for this is gencols by Paul Callahan, which can be found here. I do not know all of the details of the 2c/5 spaceship synthesis, but it is based on the spaceship's similarity to a constructable still life.

Also, there is now a topic that is intended to cover most glider synthesis discussions (located here). I have posted several links to useful glider synthesis-related websites as well as several partial syntheses of oscillators.
-Matthias Merzenich
Axaj
Posts: 231
Joined: September 26th, 2009, 12:23 am

Re: One-sided glider gun synthesis

Post by Axaj »

Are there any compiled versions of Gencols? I use a mac, and I can't get xcode until I join the ADC (which I can't while I'm a minor).
Image
User avatar
apg
Moderator
Posts: 3007
Joined: June 1st, 2009, 4:32 pm

Re: One-sided glider gun synthesis

Post by apg »

Due to the symmetry of the queen bee shuttle, the standard 8-glider synthesis can arrive from two perpendicular directions:

Code: Select all

x = 152, y = 35, rule = S23/B3
149bo$149bobo$149boo$o$boo$oo6$138bo$136boo$137boo$13bo$14bo$12b3o5$
49bobo$50boo77bo$50bo77bo$128b3o6$91bo$91bobo$26bobo62boo$27boo$27bo!
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!
Post Reply