Page 1 of 6

Pet Peeves

Posted: July 29th, 2017, 11:15 am
by drc
Edit by Sokwe: Post your CA-related pet peeves. No posts about other users.

Unread notifications bother me.

Re: Pet Peeves

Posted: July 29th, 2017, 8:18 pm
by Saka
I posted a topic with the exact same name on another forum. What a coincidence.
SomeOtherGuy wrote:
SoupSearcher wrote: Look at this p376!

Code: Select all

Some apgsearch soup
Maybe a gun could be made?
Cool
Receiving really weird PMs (I have one in particular I find hilarious but I feel guilty to share)

People acting really childish.

People that dont want to know that what they found isn't important.

There is a certain user that annoys me and his name sounds like World War II...

Re: Pet Peeves

Posted: July 29th, 2017, 8:46 pm
by drc
I'm permanently going to have that one dumb 'z' still life on my record.

Non-CGOL, I hate when people eat 90% of a chip in one bite and leave that little part in their fingers before tossing it into their mouth. JUST EAT THE GOSHDARN FLIPPING CHIP.

Re: Pet Peeves

Posted: July 29th, 2017, 8:52 pm
by gmc_nxtman
Also non-CGOL, but when you bite into a popsicle and your teeth hit the stick.

Re: Pet Peeves

Posted: July 29th, 2017, 9:08 pm
by Saka
When someone asks me what CGoL is over and over and over again.

Non-CGoL:
When people try to refuse the truth
When people say that things they never tried before are gross.
When people cut a cake so that they get whatever's in the middle.
When my little brother only watches TV when I want to watch so I dont get to watch TV.
When I try to cut or open something and it flies everywhere.

Re: Pet Peeves

Posted: July 29th, 2017, 9:57 pm
by drc
gmc_nxtman wrote:Also non-CGOL, but when you bite into a popsicle and your teeth hit the stick.
Oh that one's the worst.
When someone eats the entire kitkat instead of one stick at a time

Re: Pet Peeves

Posted: July 29th, 2017, 10:05 pm
by praosylen
I have some weird ones:

When someone correctly or incorrectly attributes something to me.
When people say that they love or hate something and they only like or dislike it.
When people put non-spectacularly-interesting patterns, questions, etc. in their signature.

Re: Pet Peeves

Posted: July 29th, 2017, 10:24 pm
by gmc_nxtman
When I'm at someone's house and they tell me Mac and Cheese is for lunch and it's Kraft.
Saka wrote:When someone asks me what CGoL is over and over and over again.
When I'm talking about something deep into CGoL with someone I know and someone interrupts and I have to explain to them everything from the ground up.

Re: Pet Peeves

Posted: July 29th, 2017, 10:47 pm
by drc
When people keep me in suspence.
When people mispell common words.
gmc_nxtman wrote:When I'm at someone's house and they tell me Mac and Cheese is for lunch and it's Kraft.
Hey >:c I'll have you know tha

Re: Pet Peeves

Posted: July 30th, 2017, 6:05 pm
by wwei23
Saka wrote:There is a certain user that annoys me and his name sounds like World War II...
I know EXACTLY who you're talking about, and it's me.

Re: Pet Peeves

Posted: July 31st, 2017, 8:44 am
by muzik
There is a certain user that annoys me and his name sounds like music...

Re: Pet Peeves

Posted: July 31st, 2017, 9:44 am
by wwei23
muzik wrote:There is a certain user that annoys me and his name sounds like music...
You?

Re: Pet Peeves

Posted: July 31st, 2017, 9:48 am
by wwei23
wwei23 wrote:
muzik wrote:There is a certain user that annoys me and his name sounds like music...
You?
Also, when Golly or LifeViewer forget the strobe lights in B0/S-8 rules.

Re: Pet Peeves

Posted: July 31st, 2017, 11:20 am
by gameoflifeboy
wwei23 wrote:Also, when Golly or LifeViewer forget the strobe lights in B0/S-8 rules.
LifeViewer for the forums originally had them, but they got removed at popular request (not mine, though). I would have preferred it if they had gotten rid of them by making the default step size for a B0/S-8 pattern two, because I don't like how they have to "fake" the evolution of those rules by inverting odd generations.

Speaking of which, another one of my pet peeves is when, after 3 years of waiting for standalone LifeViewer to update again and over 2 years of seeing cool new features added to forum LifeViewer, which I felt was intended to be subordinate (as it can't be used to edit patterns, and also lacks music and a built-in pattern collection), Chris Rowett all but tells me that he's never planning to update that again.

Hmm, what else can I say here? Well, it is slightly annoying when new users say things that betray a lack of knowledge about the history of conwaylife.com, for example when users don't know what a URL like http://conwaylife.com/?p=pentadecathlon was supposed to do. (It used to open the conwaylife.com applet with a pentadecathlon in it.) It reminds me of the pain I felt when the applet never came back. (Sorry, newer users.) On the other hand, I can't imagine how anyone who arrived after May 2011 is supposed to know this. Maybe someone should make a post giving a history of conwaylife.com so this doesn't happen.

All in all, though, these forums have been a mostly positive experience for me, and [Removed message that made me look weird. To anyone who read what I had written here, it makes more sense after considering the fact that I was homeschooled before college and never got much chance to make real-life friends].

Re: Pet Peeves

Posted: July 31st, 2017, 11:31 am
by toroidalet
wwei23 wrote:Also, when Golly or LifeViewer forget the strobe lights in B0/S-8 rules.
The don't "forget", but purposefully use an inverted rule. When LifeViewer had the strobe lights, it was even worse: Some strobing sections were off-phase compared to the rest, making a boundary. (theoretically) When someone posted a high-period ship it would probably crash into the oscillating boundary before finishing its period. That's why it was removed. (plus, it's a pain to switch from 10 cells to ~262144 cells (discounting the annoying oscillating boundary))
One of my conwaylife.com pet peeves is when users quote some other user's really long post to point out something short and don't trim the post at all.

Re: Pet Peeves

Posted: July 31st, 2017, 11:55 am
by drc
toroidalet wrote:
wwei23 wrote:Also, when Golly or LifeViewer forget the strobe lights in B0/S-8 rules.
The don't "forget", but purposefully use an inverted rule. When LifeViewer had the strobe lights, it was even worse: Some strobing sections were off-phase compared to the rest, making a boundary. (theoretically) When someone posted a high-period ship it would probably crash into the oscillating boundary before finishing its period. That's why it was removed. (plus, it's a pain to switch from 10 cells to ~262144 cells (discounting the annoying oscillating boundary))
One of my conwaylife.com pet peeves is when users quote some other user's really long post to point out something short and don't trim the post at all.
I know right?i'mjokingarounddon'tkillme

When I show my friends an English muffin and they say 'but that's not a muffin'

Also when people use excessive smilies.

Re: Pet Peeves

Posted: August 1st, 2017, 5:16 am
by Saka
I hate uneven qoute-post ratios.

Me: "Carnivorous plant"
Them: "Lol no yur dum they dont exis like evrybodi nows that"

Re: Pet Peeves

Posted: August 12th, 2017, 4:48 pm
by praosylen
When you've created an entire science fiction universe, complete with terraformed planets, and some joker discovers 4 new real planets around Tau Ceti that would destabilize the orbits of the two (smaller) fictional ones you invented for the same system.

Luckily, it was a quick fix — just increase the orbital radii to put them in the middle of the habitable zone instead of the inner region of the habitable zone — and I wasn't planning to mention them except maybe in passing.

Re: Pet Peeves

Posted: August 21st, 2017, 5:32 pm
by 83bismuth38
when people use apostrophe's in the wrong place's.

Re: Pet Peeves

Posted: August 21st, 2017, 5:52 pm
by wwei23
When it rains during a solar eclipse.

Re: Pet Peeves

Posted: August 21st, 2017, 5:55 pm
by drc
I hate when people are made of atoms

Re: Pet Peeves

Posted: August 21st, 2017, 6:08 pm
by muzik
When objects aren't separated correctly on Catagolue.

Re: Pet Peeves

Posted: August 21st, 2017, 9:58 pm
by toroidalet
drc wrote:I hate when people are made of atoms
I hate it when people are made out of fermions.
I also hate it when poeple spel treribly.

Re: Pet Peeves

Posted: August 22nd, 2017, 5:31 am
by Saka
When people pu
t new lines in
the wrong places
,especially with punctu
ation at the start
.

Re: Pet Peeves

Posted: August 22nd, 2017, 8:11 pm
by toroidalet
I Undertale hate it when people Emoji movie insert keywords so people will see their berylium page.