Page 1 of 1

Golly crashes when setting rule

Posted: February 25th, 2017, 8:31 pm
by praosylen
I have 64-bit Golly 2.8 on Mac, and it crashes when I try to set the rule to

Code: Select all

B4c4e4c4c4c3e3c5c5e6c6e2e2c2i2n2n6n6i6i3i5a3y1e1c5k7c7e4t4q4t6k4w4i88888000005i5y3a1c1e3k7e7c6e6c2c2e2n2i2i4r6i6n6n3c3e5e5c4e4c4e4e4e/S4c4e4c4c4c3e3c5c5e6c6e2e2c2i2n2n6n6i6i3i5a3y1e1c5k7c7e4t4q4t6k4w4i88888000005i5y3a1c1e3k7e7c6e6c2c2e2n2i2i4r6i6n6n3c3e5e5c4e4c4e4e4e
. This came about via a script, which could be optimized, but it also happens when I try to do it through the interface, and I'm not sure what the issue is. I could probably try something to fix the rulestring, but I still want to know what's going on.

Re: Golly crashes when setting rule

Posted: February 25th, 2017, 8:39 pm
by Mr. Missed Her
Not unique to Mac. Crashes when I try it on Windows.

Re: Golly crashes when setting rule

Posted: February 25th, 2017, 10:57 pm
by Andrew
Golly 2.9b1 doesn't crash -- just reports the rule as unknown (which it is -- you definitely need to fix the script that is creating it). Download links for 2.9b1 are here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2554

Re: Golly crashes when setting rule

Posted: February 26th, 2017, 1:32 am
by rowett
The rule is valid it's just too long. Golly has a maximum rule length of 200 characters and the rule as specified is 267 characters long. It would certainly be worth taking Andrew's advice and optimizing the script that created it to remove all of the duplication.

For reference the canonical form of the rule is only 65 characters long:
B012-ak3-jnqr4ceiqrtw5-jnqr6-a78/S012-ak3-jnqr4ceiqrtw5-jnqr6-a78

Re: Golly crashes when setting rule

Posted: February 26th, 2017, 1:40 am
by Andrew
rowett wrote:The rule is valid it's just too long.
Ah, I see. Chris, feel free to increase that limit to something like 500 if you think 200 is too small. There's no particular reason why we chose 200.

Re: Golly crashes when setting rule

Posted: February 26th, 2017, 1:47 am
by rowett
Done.