Hexagonal Life
Posted: September 30th, 2009, 9:09 am
I used to "play" a lot with Life in the early eighties (using a home made machine code program on a ZX Spectrum). One time I was in a rose garden with a hexagonal ("honeycomb") layout and I got the idea to create Life on a HEXAGONAL GRID. This way, each cell has 6 neighbours, and they are all equal. (I always thought it was a "glitch" in Life that diagonal neighbours were equal to orthogonal neighbours...) I wrote a program to do this (in Basic on an early PC) and I experimented with different sets of rules to see what would happen. Although it was a joy to see all kinds of "snowflakes" forming out of very small "seeds", I never found any rules that would give a similar "balance" as Conway's Life - things either expanded indefinitely or died out soon. Then I started a hologram shop and got distracted from this effort.
Has anybody else ever played with this ? Any results anywhere ? Anybody feel like having a go ?
Erik Swetter
Amsterdam
Has anybody else ever played with this ? Any results anywhere ? Anybody feel like having a go ?
Erik Swetter
Amsterdam