Page 1 of 1

Pentadecatlon.com down

Posted: June 21st, 2013, 3:12 pm
by randomviewer896
Many of the blog posts on the home page link to pentadecathlon.com and, some information is there which we no longer have access to.
Can we start a mirror of all of the posts from Pentadecathlon?

Re: Pentadecatlon.com down

Posted: June 28th, 2013, 10:34 am
by dvgrn
Looks like the move must be done -- pentadecathlon.com is back online!

Have been thinking about some kind of mirror site for a while now'; I'll check in and see what it might make sense to do.

Re: Pentadecatlon.com down

Posted: July 26th, 2013, 1:41 pm
by Extrementhusiast
And it's apparently down again.

Re: Pentadecatlon.com down

Posted: July 26th, 2013, 8:37 pm
by Freywa
There are reasons, you know. Lots of reasons. :arrow:

Re: Pentadecatlon.com down

Posted: August 9th, 2013, 10:22 pm
by Extrementhusiast
Now, some sort of script is broken. Whenever I go to an "object info" page, the page contents are missing. (The header and all that still works.)

Re: Pentadecatlon.com down

Posted: August 11th, 2013, 3:43 pm
by Extrementhusiast
Problem has been solved. Apparently some sort of system was not restarted.

Re: Pentadecatlon.com down

Posted: September 30th, 2022, 3:00 am
by ChromicQuanta
It's down for good. <:(

Re: Pentadecatlon.com down

Posted: September 30th, 2022, 3:38 am
by confocaloid
ChromicQuanta wrote: September 30th, 2022, 3:00 am It's down for good. <:(
If the website is not accessible, part of the content may be still available in Web Archive:
https://web.archive.org/web/20220901034112/http://pentadecathlon.com/lifenews/

Re: Pentadecatlon.com down

Posted: September 30th, 2022, 11:50 am
by dvgrn
ChromicQuanta wrote: September 30th, 2022, 3:00 am It's down for good. <:(
I wish people wouldn't make claims like this without any evidence. If the pentadecathlon.com server is not online at time T, that really doesn't imply anything about whether it will be down at time T+1.

On the other hand, if hkoenig posts something saying it won't come back online, then it probably won't come back online.

Past claims of the death of pentadecathlon.com have so far turned out to be greatly exaggerated... and I'm not having any trouble getting to the site at the moment.

Re: Pentadecatlon.com down

Posted: October 5th, 2022, 12:12 am
by hkoenig
As long as the hardware functions, and no one abuses the site too much*, I do intend to keep the server up as is.

If there's a problem, the best thing to do is to directly let me know about it. Don't assume I'll see a posting. (I didn't see these until tonight, for example.) I can be gone from home for long periods of time, or at places with limited Internet access. There may have been a power failure and the reboot didn't work right, so it might have to wait until I get home before it's back up and running. Or I could just not be aware that things are hung up.

* A few years ago the incompetents at Evil, Inc. had their spider-bots hammering it dozens of times per second for several days, despite the setting on the robots.txt file. I took it offline then because I got tired of hearing the fan on the server running and the disk thrashing.

Re: Pentadecatlon.com down

Posted: January 15th, 2023, 2:12 am
by hkoenig
The fan on my pentadecathlon.com server started making too much noise, which means it's about to die. I shut it down for now. I've bought a replacement fan. The repair seems to be fairly simple, so it should be back up in a week or so, depending on how long it takes to arrive. If not, then I'll try to install some redirects to a 510 Gone page on the main server.

Re: Pentadecatlon.com down

Posted: September 29th, 2023, 5:33 am
by confocaloid
Probably existing links should be converted to links to archived copies (where possible).
Please note that sometimes the most recent copy on Wayback Machine is somehow "broken", so one needs to link to an older copy that shows correctly.

(Possibly temporary) "pentadecathlon.com" versus "www.pentadecathlon.com"

Today I tried to open the following page (link to an archive copy on the Wayback Machine):
https://web.archive.org/web/20210716194 ... ngine2.php

When I opened the link directly ( http://pentadecathlon.com/objects/class ... ngine2.php ), the correct page was opened (although it was incorrectly displayed):
http://pentadecathlon.com/objects/class4/typeB/SwitchEngine2/switchEngine2.php
http://pentadecathlon.com/objects/class4/typeB/SwitchEngine2/switchEngine2.php
img01.png (73.86 KiB) Viewed 18421 times

However, when I opened the link with "www." prefix ( http://www.pentadecathlon.com/objects/c ... ngine2.php ), it displayed [what appears to be] a completely unrelated page:
http://www.pentadecathlon.com/objects/class4/typeB/SwitchEngine2/switchEngine2.php
http://www.pentadecathlon.com/objects/class4/typeB/SwitchEngine2/switchEngine2.php
img02.png (204.02 KiB) Viewed 18421 times