Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

For discussion of specific patterns or specific families of patterns in Conway's Game of Life, both newly-discovered and well-known.
User avatar
gmc_nxtman
Posts: 1158
Joined: May 26th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by gmc_nxtman »

Nice! Here's a simple transparent loaf reaction:

Code: Select all

x = 8, y = 7, rule = B3/S23
7bo2$4b3o$2bo$bobo$o2bo$b2o!
EDIT: A traffic light-based transparency:

Code: Select all

x = 19, y = 7, rule = B3/S23
18bo$6bo$4b2o9b3o$2bo3bo6bo$bobo8bobo$o2bo7bo2bo$b2o9b2o!
Last edited by gmc_nxtman on August 26th, 2015, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M. I. Wright
Posts: 411
Joined: June 13th, 2015, 12:04 pm

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by M. I. Wright »

Optimizations to that monstrosity are dearly welcomed, by the way.

Here's an interesting reaction that turns a two-HWSS salvo and a glider into a perpendicular MWSS:

Code: Select all

x = 15, y = 21, rule = B3/S23
2o$b2o$o2$12b3o$11bo2bo$14bo$10bo3bo$10bo3bo$14bo$11bobo4$6bo$5b3o$5bo
b2o$6b3o$6b3o$6b3o$6b2o!
I don't think it could be used for much, but I was wondering if there's a similar reaction (forward G+forward *WSS salvo) that makes a backwards *WSS?

And apparently a table-on-table can stabilize two queen bee shuttles:

Code: Select all

x = 20, y = 17, rule = B3/S23
8b2o$8bo2bo$12bo$12bo$12bo$8bo2bo$o2bo4b2o6bo2bo$4o12b4o2$4o12b4o$o2bo
4b2o6bo2bo$8bo2bo$12bo$12bo$12bo$8bo2bo$8b2o!
User avatar
codeholic
Moderator
Posts: 1174
Joined: September 13th, 2011, 8:23 am
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by codeholic »

M. I. Wright wrote:Here's an interesting reaction that turns a two-HWSS salvo and a glider into a perpendicular MWSS:
I'm not sure if I was the first one who discovered this reaction, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't been useless, since it is one of the reactions in the foundation of all known 31c/240 spaceships' front ends.
Ivan Fomichev
User avatar
gmc_nxtman
Posts: 1158
Joined: May 26th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by gmc_nxtman »

Could this be made into a griddle synthesis component?

Code: Select all

x = 27, y = 17, rule = B3/S23
4b2o15b2o$4bo16bo$6bo16bo$2b5o12b5o$2bo4b2o10bo4b2o$4b2o2bo12b2o2bo$4o
b3o9b4ob3o$o16bo$3b2ob4o10b2ob4o$3b2obo2bo10b2obo2bo2$4bo16bo$4b2o15b
2o$21b3o$23b2o$23bo$22b2o!
User avatar
Scorbie
Posts: 1728
Joined: December 7th, 2013, 1:05 am

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by Scorbie »

Not sure, but here is the reaction in a smaller form.

Code: Select all

x = 7, y = 8, rule = B3/S23
o2bo2bo$7o2$2ob4o$2obo2bo2$bo$b2o!
User avatar
praosylen
Posts: 2449
Joined: September 13th, 2014, 5:36 pm
Location: Pembina University, Home of the Gliders
Contact:

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by praosylen »

gmc_nxtman wrote:Could this be made into a griddle synthesis component?

Code: Select all

x = 27, y = 17, rule = B3/S23
4b2o15b2o$4bo16bo$6bo16bo$2b5o12b5o$2bo4b2o10bo4b2o$4b2o2bo12b2o2bo$4o
b3o9b4ob3o$o16bo$3b2ob4o10b2ob4o$3b2obo2bo10b2obo2bo2$4bo16bo$4b2o15b
2o$21b3o$23b2o$23bo$22b2o!
If you add these sparks to this variant in gen. 4, it works:

Code: Select all

x = 23, y = 10, rule = B3/S23
17b2o2$o2bob2o9bo2bob2o$4ob2o9b4ob2o$14bobo$2ob4o10b6o$2obo2bo15bo$18b
obo$bo18bo$b2o!
Edit: A pulsar can internally repair itself:

Code: Select all

x = 13, y = 13, rule = B3/S23
2b3o3b3o2$o4bobo4bo$o4bobo4bo$o4b3o4bo$2b3o3b3o2$2b3o3b3o$o4b3o4bo$o4b
obo4bo$o4bobo4bo2$2b3o3b3o!
former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)

The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...
mniemiec
Posts: 1590
Joined: June 1st, 2013, 12:00 am

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by mniemiec »

A for awesome wrote:
gmc_nxtman wrote:Could this be made into a griddle synthesis component? ...
If you add these sparks to this variant in gen. 4, it works:...
Here is a fully-instantiated synthesis from 37 gliders:

Code: Select all

x = 221, y = 32, rule = B3/S23
194bo$35bo158bobo$36bo5bobo7bo141boo$34b3o6boo8boo$43bo8boo49bo$102bo$
6bo60bo34b3o37bo50bo$4bobo5bo52boo76bo50boobo$5boo5bobo51boo31bobo39b
3obbo46boobbobo$12boo86boo43bo51boo$7bo35bo56bo44b3o32bo$7bobo31bobobb
o131bobo5bo$7boo33boobbobo74bo19bo35boo6boo$24boo20boo6boo27boo11b3o4b
oo17bobo17bobo41boo27boo$24bobbo26bobbo25bo3boboo7bo4bo3boboo12bo3bob
oo12bo3boboo13bobboboo23bobboboo13bobboboo$25b3o27b3o26b4oboo6bo6b4ob
oo13b4oboo13b4oboo13b4oboo23b4oboo13bobooboo$213boo$27b3o27b3o24boob4o
13boob4o6bo6boob4o13boob4o13boob4o11boo10boob4o14b6o$27bobbo26bobbo23b
oobo3bo12boobo3bo4bo7boobo3bo12boobo3bo12boobobbo10bobo10boobobbo14bo
4bo$29boo28boo6boo21boo18boo4b3o11bobo17bobo30bo32bobo$6boo58bobobboo
58bo19bo66bo$5bobo60bobbobo$7bo63bo42bo32b3o$boo110boo34bo42bo$obo5boo
37boo64bobo32bobb3o38boo$bbo5bobo37boo101bo39bobo$8bo38bo62b3o39bo47bo
$112bo86boo$61boo8bo39bo87bobo$60boo8boo6b3o112bo$62bo7bobo5bo114boo$
79bo112bobo!
User avatar
praosylen
Posts: 2449
Joined: September 13th, 2014, 5:36 pm
Location: Pembina University, Home of the Gliders
Contact:

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by praosylen »

A for awesome wrote: Edit: A pulsar can internally repair itself:

Code: Select all

x = 13, y = 13, rule = B3/S23
2b3o3b3o2$o4bobo4bo$o4bobo4bo$o4b3o4bo$2b3o3b3o2$2b3o3b3o$o4b3o4bo$o4b
obo4bo$o4bobo4bo2$2b3o3b3o!
A stabilization:

Code: Select all

x = 29, y = 17, rule = B3/S23
2b3o5b2o$9bobo$o4bobo11b2o$o4bobo2bo8bo$o4b3o9bobo$2b3o3b5o3bobo$8bobo
bo2bo$2b3o3bobo2bobo$o4b2obo2bo$o4bobo4b2obo3b2ob2o$o4bobobo3bobob2o5b
o$11bobo2bo5bobo2bo$2b3o4bo3bo8bobobobo$11b2o6b2o3bo2bo$20bobobo$19bo
2b2o$19b2o!
former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)

The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...
User avatar
gmc_nxtman
Posts: 1158
Joined: May 26th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by gmc_nxtman »

A for awesome wrote:
A for awesome wrote: Edit: A pulsar can internally repair itself:

Code: Select all

x = 13, y = 13, rule = B3/S23
2b3o3b3o2$o4bobo4bo$o4bobo4bo$o4b3o4bo$2b3o3b3o2$2b3o3b3o$o4b3o4bo$o4b
obo4bo$o4bobo4bo2$2b3o3b3o!
A stabilization:

Code: Select all

x = 29, y = 17, rule = B3/S23
2b3o5b2o$9bobo$o4bobo11b2o$o4bobo2bo8bo$o4b3o9bobo$2b3o3b5o3bobo$8bobo
bo2bo$2b3o3bobo2bobo$o4b2obo2bo$o4bobo4b2obo3b2ob2o$o4bobobo3bobob2o5b
o$11bobo2bo5bobo2bo$2b3o4bo3bo8bobobobo$11b2o6b2o3bo2bo$20bobobo$19bo
2b2o$19b2o!
Nice! How did you find it?

Here is a catalyst from bellman that almost completely disintegrates before repairing:

Code: Select all

x = 10, y = 14, rule = B3/S23
2o6b2o$obo5bo$2b3o4bo$bo3bo2b2o$bob2obo$2bobobob2o$4bobo2bo$3b2ob2o2$
6bo$5b3o$5bob2o$7bobo$8bo!
The stator could likely be reduced.
M. I. Wright
Posts: 411
Joined: June 13th, 2015, 12:04 pm

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by M. I. Wright »

codeholic wrote:
M. I. Wright wrote:Here's an interesting reaction that turns a two-HWSS salvo and a glider into a perpendicular MWSS:
I'm not sure if I was the first one who discovered this reaction, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't been useless, since it is one of the reactions in the foundation of all known 31c/240 spaceships' front ends.
Oh, huh. I was just messing around with different HWSS placements when I found it. I assume that, if it's used in these spaceships, there's a thread somewhere that catalogs reactions like it - if so, could you link me to the thread or post? Google's turned up nothing, but I'm not really sure what to search for.
I wrote:I was wondering if there's a similar reaction (forward G+forward *WSS salvo) that makes a backwards *WSS?
Anything on this? (Alternatively, what search program could I use to find a suitable reaction? Haven't had much luck with gencols.)

--
Two B-heptominos in a width-54 tube:

Code: Select all

x = 3, y = 33, rule = B3/S23:T0,54
o$2o$b2o$2o26$2o$b2o$2o$o!
Makes for a neat dirty wave in regular (infinite) Life.
Last edited by M. I. Wright on August 28th, 2015, 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
praosylen
Posts: 2449
Joined: September 13th, 2014, 5:36 pm
Location: Pembina University, Home of the Gliders
Contact:

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by praosylen »

gmc_nxtman wrote:
A for awesome wrote:
A for awesome wrote: Edit: A pulsar can internally repair itself:

Code: Select all

x = 13, y = 13, rule = B3/S23
2b3o3b3o2$o4bobo4bo$o4bobo4bo$o4b3o4bo$2b3o3b3o2$2b3o3b3o$o4b3o4bo$o4b
obo4bo$o4bobo4bo2$2b3o3b3o!
A stabilization:

Code: Select all

x = 29, y = 17, rule = B3/S23
2b3o5b2o$9bobo$o4bobo11b2o$o4bobo2bo8bo$o4b3o9bobo$2b3o3b5o3bobo$8bobo
bo2bo$2b3o3bobo2bobo$o4b2obo2bo$o4bobo4b2obo3b2ob2o$o4bobobo3bobob2o5b
o$11bobo2bo5bobo2bo$2b3o4bo3bo8bobobobo$11b2o6b2o3bo2bo$20bobobo$19bo
2b2o$19b2o!
Nice! How did you find it?
I used JLS to find a promising partial, then changed the search settings to find the last bit.
former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)

The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...
User avatar
gmc_nxtman
Posts: 1158
Joined: May 26th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Switchable gun?

Post by gmc_nxtman »

Is there any switchable gun, that can be turned on and off asynchronously at any time, and, in its "off" state, is completely stable?

Also, is there any collection of H->Misc converters? Like H-to-Block, H-to-Beehive, H-to-Eater (that would be really helpful!)?
User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 12030
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Switchable gun?

Post by dvgrn »

gmc_nxtman wrote:Is there any switchable gun, that can be turned on and off asynchronously at any time, and, in its "off" state, is completely stable?
Yes, that can be done. The key concept is a universal regulator. Looks like I'll have to do some digging to find an actual stable regulator pattern -- maybe tomorrow or the next day, if no one else posts a sample in the meantime (I'm on the road at the moment).
User avatar
Saka
Posts: 3626
Joined: June 19th, 2015, 8:50 pm
Location: Indonesia
Contact:

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by Saka »

Since this IS the thread for useless discoveries, I'll post useless wls-found spaceships:
C/3:

Code: Select all

x = 45, y = 15, rule = B3/S23
13bobo$2b2ob2o2bo3bo4b3o7bo13bobo$bo3b4o2b2o7bob2o2bobo12b4o$o5bo4b2o
4bo6bo2bo12b2o$bo5bo2b3o3bob3o3bo14bobo$3b2o3bo2bo2b5obo6bo10bo$b3o3bo
bo5bo8b2o3bo7bo3bo$o2bo6b2ob5o6b2o3bob2o4bo3b2o$o3bo2bob3obo11bo5bo3bo
bobobo$bo2b2o2bo2bo2bobobo4bobobo4b3ob2obo2bo$2bobo4b3o5bo4bob2obobo4b
4obo2bo$4b2o3bo2bo3bo4b2ob2obo$10bo5b2o4bob2o10b2o$10bobo3bobo4bob2obo
8bo$11bo5bo8bobo9bo!

Code: Select all

x = 15, y = 15, rule = B3/S23
10bo$9bobo$9bo3bo$9bo3bo$3b3o2b2obo$3b3o5bo$5bobo$3bob3o3bo$2b2o2b2o2b
o$2b2o4b2o$2bo9bobo$2o7bob4o$bo7b3o$2bo6bobo$10bo!
C/4:

Code: Select all

x = 28, y = 13, rule = B3/S23
11b2o4bo$10bob2ob2ob2obo$bo2bo2bobo5b5o$bo2bobob2obobobob7o$2o19bobo2b
2o$bob2ob9o10bo$bo$bob2ob9o10bo$2o19bobo2b2o$bo2bobob2obobobob7o$bo2bo
2bobo5b5o$10bob2ob2ob2obo$11b2o4bo!
Small tagalong:

Code: Select all

x = 34, y = 13, rule = B3/S23
11b2o4bo$10bob2ob2ob2obo$bo2bo2bobo5b5o$bo2bobob2obobobob7o$2o19bobo2b
2ob2o$bob2ob9o10bo3b3obo$bo29bobo$bob2ob9o10bo3b3obo$2o19bobo2b2ob2o$b
o2bobob2obobobob7o$bo2bo2bobo5b5o$10bob2ob2ob2obo$11b2o4bo!
jarring cyan
User avatar
Saka
Posts: 3626
Joined: June 19th, 2015, 8:50 pm
Location: Indonesia
Contact:

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by Saka »

Oh, and a very small c/4 "engine" (Is that correct?)

Code: Select all

x = 7, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
2obo$bobo$5b2o$bobo$2obo!
jarring cyan
towerator
Posts: 328
Joined: September 2nd, 2013, 3:03 pm

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by towerator »

Saka wrote:Oh, and a very small c/4 "engine" (Is that correct?)

Code: Select all

x = 7, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
2obo$bobo$5b2o$bobo$2obo!
Actually, the incomplete part goes forward, while the reappearing part goes backward, so it is a c/4 tail rather than an engine.
This is game of life, this is game of life!
Loafin' ships eaten with a knife!
User avatar
gmc_nxtman
Posts: 1158
Joined: May 26th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by gmc_nxtman »

Does anyone have a p144 (or a factor thereof) HWSS flyby to glider?

Here's a tub-to-mango component:

Code: Select all

x = 5, y = 6, rule = B3/S23
3b2o$b2o$o$3bo$2bobo$3bo!
Dirty HWSS->LWSS using R + Block:

Code: Select all

x = 17, y = 16, rule = B3/S23
4b2o$4ob2o$6o$b4o6$12bo$11bobo$11bob2o$12bo2$15b2o$15b2o!
And a small collection of rocks that I've found: (The last one could be improved)

Code: Select all

x = 151, y = 12, rule = B3/S23
56bo34bo3bo$13bo13bo24bob2o9bo24b2o3bo9bo$13b2o12b2o11b2o11bo12b3o13b
2o7b4o7bob2o43bo$13bo13bo12bo26bo10bob2o20b3o29bo9bobo$b2ob2o10bo13bo
12b2o9b2o23bo39b2ob2o9b4o9bob2o$obobobo6bobobo9bobobo8bobobo10bo10bobo
13bo9bobo24bo3bo10bo9b2o$bo3bo7b2o2bo7b3obobo8b2o12bo11b2obo11bobo6b3o
b3o6bob2o15bo11bo2bo10b2o$17b2o5bo5bo23b2o13bo12bo6bo7bo5b2o2bo11bobo
14bobo6bobo2bo$3bo20b2o43b2o18b2o5b2o8b2o11b2o16bo5bobobobo$bo3bo142bo
$obobobo$2bobo!
I think a non-trivially exclusive aircraft carrier one is possible, but not sure:

Code: Select all

x = 7, y = 6, rule = B3/S23
2b2o$2b3o$5o$b2o2b2o$3bo2bo$3b2o!
EDIT: Found one:

Code: Select all

x = 36, y = 8, rule = B3/S23
2bo27bo$4bo27bo$2bobo25bobo$o2b2ob2o20bo2b2ob2o$b3o25b3o$34b2o$32bo2bo
$32b2o!
A barge one:

Code: Select all

x = 7, y = 7, rule = B3/S23
o3bo$3bobo$2o2bobo$bo3bo$2bo$3b2o$4bobo!
This thing, 4 gliders -> 4 ponds:

Code: Select all

x = 14, y = 14, rule = B3/S23
6bo$6bobo$6b2o3$bo4b2o$2bo2bo2bo2b3o$3o2bo2bo2bo$6b2o4bo3$6b2o$5bobo$
7bo!
And when repeated, creates a not-very-long-lives pattern, but a surprisingly large amount of debris:

Code: Select all

x = 28, y = 28, rule = B3/S23
11bo$9bobo$10b2o5$13bo$13bobo$13b2o11bo$25bo$25b3o$8bo4b2o$9bo2bo2bo2b
3o$7b3o2bo2bo2bo$13b2o4bo$3o$2bo$bo11b2o$12bobo$14bo5$16b2o$16bobo$16b
o!
M. I. Wright
Posts: 411
Joined: June 13th, 2015, 12:04 pm

Re: Switchable gun?

Post by M. I. Wright »

gmc_nxtman wrote:Is there any switchable gun, that can be turned on and off asynchronously at any time, and, in its "off" state, is completely stable?
Did you mean something like this? The pattern is half-broken (one of the ON gliders is a few ticks off because I couldn't fund a suitable H->G) and I'm not sure it's what Dave Greene meant, but the idea works. The glider merger was found by codeholic.

(Sorry for making it an attachment instead of pasting it here - my Internet's been down so I have to use my phone to post)

And for the HWSS flyby, couldn't you just have the HWSS's spark delete one glider from a pair of mutually exclusive glider guns? As in, align two glider guns of the desired period so they delete each others' gliders, and allow room for the HWSS to delete a glider from one gun as it passes by so that the other gun's glider can escape.
User avatar
gmc_nxtman
Posts: 1158
Joined: May 26th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: Switchable gun?

Post by gmc_nxtman »

M. I. Wright wrote:
gmc_nxtman wrote:Is there any switchable gun, that can be turned on and off asynchronously at any time, and, in its "off" state, is completely stable?
Did you mean something like this? The pattern is half-broken (one of the ON gliders is a few ticks off because I couldn't fund a suitable H->G) and I'm not sure it's what Dave Greene meant, but the idea works. The glider merger was found by codeholic.

(Sorry for making it an attachment instead of pasting it here - my Internet's been down so I have to use my phone to post)
There is no attachment, I assume you meant to post one?
M. I. Wright wrote:And for the HWSS flyby, couldn't you just have the HWSS's spark delete one glider from a pair of mutually exclusive glider guns? As in, align two glider guns of the desired period so they delete each others' gliders, and allow room for the HWSS to delete a glider from one gun as it passes by so that the other gun's glider can escape.
I guess, and I know there is an existing p46 one which I intended to use, but I was thinking of one which edgeshot its glider. (I don't know why I said it haid to be a HWSS, by the way - it can be any standard SS)

Code: Select all

x = 23, y = 15, rule = LifeHistory
2.2A$A4.A$6.A$A5.A$.6A2$21.A$8.2B12.A$3.3D2.6B6.3A$2.D3.D.9B$6.D.10B$
6.D2.11B$5.D3.11B$4.D9.6B$4.D!
#C [[ VIEWONLY ]]
M. I. Wright
Posts: 411
Joined: June 13th, 2015, 12:04 pm

Re: Switchable gun?

Post by M. I. Wright »

gmc_nxtman wrote:There is no attachment, I assume you meant to post one?
Whoops, I edited that post three times yesterday without noticing. I finally have internet again (after three days!) so here's the gun:

Code: Select all

x = 320, y = 312, rule = LifeHistory
258.2A7.2A$165.A92.2A7.A.A$165.3A29.A39.A27.A.A.3A$168.A28.3A37.3A25.
2A5.A$167.2A31.A39.A30.2A12.A$199.2A38.2A44.3A$135.2A151.A$135.A.A82.
A66.2A$137.A82.3A$137.2A84.A56.D$222.2A11.2A11.D29.3D$235.2A9.3D29.D.
D$114.2A4.2A124.D.D29.D$114.2A3.A2.A123.D$120.2A$140.2A$140.2A3$279.
2A$280.A$115.2A160.3A$115.2A160.A$150.2A$112.2A37.A30.2A72.2A$112.2A
34.3A25.2A5.A30.2A41.A25.2A$102.2A44.A27.A.A.3A25.2A5.A38.3A25.A.A24.
D$103.A65.2A7.A.A27.A.A.3A20.2A17.A27.A24.3D$103.A.A63.2A7.2A21.2A7.A
.A22.A45.2A24.D.D$104.2A95.2A7.2A24.3A68.D$51.A186.A79.A$42.7D2.3A
263.A.A$42.D5.D5.A262.A.A$42.D3.D.D4.A.A262.A$42.D.D.D.D4.A.A$42.D2.
2D.D5.A234.2A$42.D5.D241.A$42.7D238.3A$108.2A177.A$42.3D.3D58.A.A$42.
D.D.D.D20.2A36.A$42.D.D.D.D20.2A35.2A$42.D.D.D.D$42.3D.D.D2$49.2A$48.
A.A$48.A74.2A$47.2A7.2A65.2A$56.2A2$64.2A.A$64.2A.3A$33.2A35.A39.2A$
32.A.A29.2A.3A39.A.A$26.2A4.A30.A2.2A41.A$24.A2.A2.2A.4A25.A.A43.2A$
24.2A.A.A.A.A2.A7.A16.A.A.2A.A$27.A.A.A.A10.3A15.A2.A.2A$27.A.A.2A14.
A17.A$28.A17.2A16.2A$61.A.A2.2A96.2A$41.2A18.2A2.A2.A96.A$32.2A7.A24.
2A97.A.A17.2A$32.2A5.A.A124.2A17.2A$19.A19.2A$17.3A47.2A$16.A50.A$15.
A.A47.A.A57.2A$15.A.A47.2A58.2A$16.A$132.A$29.2A101.3A$30.A104.A$27.
3A104.2A$2A25.A143.2A$2A76.A91.A.A$76.3A91.A$75.A93.2A$75.2A$20.2A29.
2A7.2A$20.A.A28.2A8.A108.2A$22.A38.A.2A104.A2.A2.2A$13.2A7.2A38.A2.A
104.2A2.A.A$13.2A48.2A107.2A16.2A$78.2A13.2A77.A17.A$3.A.2A71.2A13.2A
74.2A.A2.A15.3A$.3A.2A121.A40.A.2A.A.A16.A30.D$A126.A.A43.A.A47.D$.3A
.2A120.A.A40.2A2.A34.2A12.3D$3.2A2.A120.A39.3A.2A35.A.A$6.A.A76.2A80.
A43.A$2.A.2A.A.A76.A81.3A.2A37.3A$2.2A.A2.A16.2A54.2A.A34.2A49.A.2A
40.A$5.A19.A55.2A.2A33.2A7.2A81.3A$5.2A16.A.A102.2A50.2A29.A$3.2A2.A.
A13.2A56.2A.2A30.2A62.2A7.2A18.A.A$2.A2.A2.2A72.A.A31.2A71.A19.2A$3.
2A65.2A10.A.A102.A.A24.2D$70.2A11.A9.2A92.2A26.2D$89.A3.2A7.2A110.D$
88.A.A12.A117.2A$87.A.A10.3A118.A$87.A12.A66.2A24.A28.3A$86.2A24.2A
53.2A24.3A28.A17.A$112.A83.A45.3A$113.3A79.2A48.A$115.A128.A.A$5.2A
15.2A220.A.A$4.A.A15.2A159.A61.A$4.A25.2A150.A.A$3.2A25.A151.A.A$28.A
.A152.A48.2A$28.2A154.3A45.A$186.A46.3A24.2A$235.A24.2A$246.E$247.E$
245.3E$240.2A$239.A.A$239.A$238.2A7.2A$247.2A2$255.2A.A$255.2A.3A$6.
2A253.A$7.A247.2A.3A$7.A.A244.A2.2A$8.2A243.A.A$32.2A201.A16.A.A.2A.A
$32.2A201.3A15.A2.A.2A$238.A17.A$237.2A16.2A$252.A.A2.2A$252.2A2.A2.A
$257.2A$30.2A$30.A$31.3A224.2A$33.A224.A$31.2A223.A.A$31.A224.2A$29.A
.A$29.2A9$242.2A$242.2A4$7.2A154.2A$8.A155.A$8.A.A151.A$9.2A151.5A14.
2A$33.2A132.A13.A$33.2A129.3A12.A.A$163.A15.2A$163.4A$161.2A3.A3.2A$
160.A2.3A4.2A$160.2A.A$31.2A130.A$31.A131.2A$32.3A$34.A$32.2A137.2A$
32.A139.A$30.A.A136.3A$30.2A137.A$165.2A$165.A.A$167.A4.2A$163.4A.2A
2.A2.A$163.A2.A.A.A.A.2A$166.A.A.A.A$167.2A.A.A$171.A2$157.2A$158.A7.
2A114.2A$158.A.A5.2A114.A$159.2A123.A$8.2A254.2A14.5A$9.A255.A13.A$9.
A.A253.A.A12.3A$10.2A254.2A15.A$34.2A244.4A$34.2A239.2A3.A3.2A$169.2A
104.2A4.3A2.A$148.2A19.A113.A.2A$149.A20.3A110.A$147.A24.A109.2A$147.
5A14.2A$32.2A118.A13.A55.2A$8.2A22.A116.3A12.A.A55.A51.2A$9.A23.3A
112.A15.2A58.A49.A$9.A.A23.A112.4A52.2A14.5A50.3A$10.2A21.2A111.2A3.A
3.2A48.A13.A57.A$33.A111.A2.3A4.2A48.A.A12.3A$31.A.A111.2A.A57.2A15.A
$31.2A115.A71.4A$148.2A53.A11.2A3.A3.2A$201.3A11.2A4.3A2.A$178.2A20.A
22.A.2A$156.2A20.A21.2A21.A$157.A22.A41.2A$154.3A3.2A14.5A$45.2A7.2A
98.A6.A13.A$45.2A7.A.A104.A.A12.3A35.2A$52.A.A.3A103.2A15.A34.A$52.2A
5.A116.4A35.3A$58.2A111.2A3.A3.2A8.2A25.A$171.2A4.3A2.A6.A.A5.2A$82.A
96.A.2A6.A7.2A$80.3A96.A8.2A$11.2A66.A98.2A$11.2A54.D11.2A121.A$65.3D
80.2A48.2A.A.A$65.D.D81.A20.2A25.A.A.A.A$65.D81.A22.A23.A2.A.A.A.A.2A
$16.2A129.5A14.2A3.3A20.4A.2A2.A2.A$16.2A134.A13.A6.A24.A4.2A$12.2A
135.3A12.A.A29.A.A$12.2A134.A15.2A30.2A$87.2A59.4A$87.2A57.2A3.A3.2A$
18.2A46.2A77.A2.3A4.2A$18.2A47.A77.2A.A$64.3A8.2A71.A$64.A11.A71.2A$
73.3A$43.2A28.A104.2A$44.A111.2A20.A$41.3A113.A22.A$41.A112.3A3.2A14.
5A$154.A6.A13.A$130.2A11.A17.A.A12.3A$130.2A10.A.A17.2A15.A$142.A.A2.
2A3.A3.A19.4A$141.2A.2A2.A2.A.A2.3A12.2A3.A3.2A$145.A.A3.A.A5.A11.2A
4.3A2.A$141.2A.A2.4A.A5.2A19.A.2A$141.2A.A.A3.A28.A$145.A.A3.A26.2A$
146.A.A3.A$147.A3.2A$170.2A$170.A$171.3A$138.2A33.A$138.2A$123.2A$
122.A2.A$121.A.2A$121.A48.2A$120.2A48.2A$135.2A$135.A$136.3A$138.A10.
2A$148.A.A$110.2A36.A$111.A35.2A$109.A$109.5A14.2A22.A$114.A13.A23.3A
$111.3A12.A.A26.A$110.A15.2A26.2A$110.4A$108.2A3.A3.2A$107.A2.3A4.2A
3.7D17.2A$107.2A.A11.D5.D17.A$110.A11.D.3E.D14.2A.A$110.2A10.D.E3.D
14.A2.3A4.2A$122.D2.E2.D15.2A3.A3.2A$122.D5.D17.4A$118.2A2.7D17.A15.
2A$119.A27.3A12.A.A$116.3A3.3D.2D.2D19.A13.A$116.A5.D.D.D2.D15.5A14.
2A$122.D.D.2D.2D14.A24.A$122.3D.D2.D17.A20.3A$146.2A19.A$167.2A7$157.
2A$156.A.A5.2A$156.A7.2A$155.2A2$169.A$165.2A.A.A$164.A.A.A.A$161.A2.
A.A.A.A.2A$161.4A.2A2.A2.A$165.A4.2A$163.A.A$163.2A!
...but I just realized that the glider stream merger [the odd-looking still life in the middle] is actually unnecessary, since the H->2G used is an edge-shooter - so here's a working toggleable gun. The ON glider can obviously come from anywhere (for instance, edgeshooting it into the rightmost Snark).

Code: Select all

#C The OFF part can definitely be shrunken (are there any reasonably small glider delayers?), and building a spartan version of the whole thing should be easy enough
x = 167, y = 250, rule = LifeHistory
76.3D.3D$76.D.D.D.D$76.D.D.D.D$76.3D.D.D2$76.7D$76.D5.D$76.D2.E2.D$
76.D3.E.D$76.D.3E.D$76.D5.D$76.7D3$59.2A$60.A$60.A.A17.2A$61.2A17.2A
10$107.A$66.2A39.3A$65.A.A42.A$65.A43.A.A$64.2A43.A.A$110.A2$65.2A$
64.A2.A2.2A$65.2A2.A.A$67.2A16.2A38.2A$67.A17.A39.2A$64.2A.A2.A15.3A$
64.A.2A.A.A16.A$68.A.A$65.2A2.A35.2A$63.3A.2A35.A.A$62.A41.A$63.3A.2A
34.2A7.2A$65.A.2A43.2A2$75.2A43.2A.A$75.2A7.2A34.2A.3A$84.A41.A$82.A.
A35.2A.3A$82.2A35.A2.2A$118.A.A$100.A16.A.A.2A.A$100.3A15.A2.A.2A$62.
2A39.A17.A$62.2A38.2A16.2A$117.A.A2.2A$117.2A2.A2.A$122.2A2$78.A$77.A
.A43.2A$77.A.A43.A$78.A42.A.A$79.3A39.2A$81.A10$107.2A$107.2A19$43.2A
$44.A$42.A$42.5A14.2A$47.A13.A$44.3A12.A.A$43.A15.2A$43.4A$41.2A3.A3.
2A$40.A2.3A4.2A$40.2A.A$43.A$43.2A3$51.2A$52.A$49.3A$49.A$45.2A$45.A.
A$47.A4.2A$43.4A.2A2.A2.A$43.A2.A.A.A.A.2A$46.A.A.A.A$47.2A.A.A$51.A
2$37.2A$38.A7.2A114.2A$38.A.A5.2A114.A$39.2A123.A$144.2A14.5A$145.A
13.A$145.A.A12.3A$146.2A15.A$160.4A$155.2A3.A3.2A$49.2A104.2A4.3A2.A$
28.2A19.A113.A.2A$29.A20.3A110.A$27.A24.A109.2A$27.5A14.2A$32.A13.A
55.2A$29.3A12.A.A55.A51.2A$28.A15.2A58.A49.A$28.4A52.2A14.5A50.3A$26.
2A3.A3.2A48.A13.A57.A$25.A2.3A4.2A48.A.A12.3A$25.2A.A57.2A15.A$28.A
71.4A$28.2A53.A11.2A3.A3.2A$81.3A11.2A4.3A2.A$58.2A20.A22.A.2A$36.2A
20.A21.2A21.A$37.A22.A41.2A$34.3A3.2A14.5A$34.A6.A13.A$41.A.A12.3A35.
2A$42.2A15.A34.A$56.4A35.3A$51.2A3.A3.2A8.2A25.A$51.2A4.3A2.A6.A.A5.
2A$59.A.2A6.A7.2A$59.A8.2A$58.2A$82.A$28.2A48.2A.A.A$29.A20.2A25.A.A.
A.A$27.A22.A23.A2.A.A.A.A.2A$27.5A14.2A3.3A20.4A.2A2.A2.A$32.A13.A6.A
24.A4.2A$29.3A12.A.A29.A.A$28.A15.2A30.2A$28.4A$26.2A3.A3.2A$25.A2.3A
4.2A$25.2A.A$28.A$28.2A2$58.2A$36.2A20.A$37.A22.A$34.3A3.2A14.5A$34.A
6.A13.A$10.2A11.A17.A.A12.3A$10.2A10.A.A17.2A15.A$22.A.A2.2A3.A3.A19.
4A$21.2A.2A2.A2.A.A2.3A12.2A3.A3.2A$25.A.A3.A.A5.A11.2A4.3A2.A$21.2A.
A2.4A.A5.2A19.A.2A$10.3D.2D.2D2.2A.A.A3.A28.A$10.D.D.D2.D7.A.A3.A26.
2A$10.D.D.2D.2D7.A.A3.A$10.3D.D2.D9.A3.2A$50.2A$11.7D32.A$11.D5.D33.
3A$11.D2.2E.D2A33.A$11.D.E.E.D2A$3.2A6.D3.E.D$2.A2.A5.D5.D$.A.2A6.7D$
.A48.2A$2A48.2A$15.2A$15.A$16.3A$18.A10.2A$28.A.A$28.A$27.2A2$32.A$
32.3A$35.A$34.2A3$26.2A$26.A$23.2A.A$23.A2.3A4.2A$24.2A3.A3.2A$26.4A$
26.A15.2A$27.3A12.A.A$30.A13.A$25.5A14.2A$25.A24.A$27.A20.3A$26.2A19.
A$47.2A7$37.2A$36.A.A5.2A$36.A7.2A$35.2A2$49.A$45.2A.A.A$44.A.A.A.A$
41.A2.A.A.A.A.2A$41.4A.2A2.A2.A$45.A4.2A$43.A.A$43.2A!
The only thing you have to worry about is the OFF signal hitting the gun's glider (the heisenburp below is an example).


As for useless discoveries: generation 6 of Block and Glider can be hassled at p60*4:

Code: Select all

x = 265, y = 211, rule = B3/S23
181b2o$181b2o8$169b3o$168bo3bo9bo$168bo3bo8b3o$169b3o8b5o$179b2o3b2o$
180b5o$180bo3bo$181bobo$169b3o10bo$168bo3bo$168bo3bo$169b3o12bo$182b2o
b2o$177bo$176bo4bo5bo$176b3o$181b2obob2o$170b2o$169b3o$111b2o54bo4b2o
3bo$111b2o54b2o3bo4bo$167bo4b2o4bo$174bo2bo2$175b2o$183b2o$183b2o$177b
2o$177b2o$108b2obob2o59b2o$122b3o48b3o$108bo5bo7bobo49b2o$122b3o52b2o
5b2o$109b2ob2o8b3o52b2o5bobo$111bo10b3o61bo$122b3o41bo19b2o$122bobo40b
3o$122b3o39b5o$154b2o7b2o3b2o$154b2o$26bo17bo69bo$25b2o15b3o63b3o4b2o$
3bo5b2o13b2o4b2o9bo65bo3bo2b2o38b3o8b3o$bo3bo3b3o11b3o4b2o2b2o5b2o111b
3o8b3o$5bo5b2obo9b2o4b2o2b2o70bo5bo$o5bo4bo2bo10b2o12bo66b2o3b2o$2o9b
2obo11bo11b3o124b2o$9b3o10bo14bo3bo110b2o3b2o6b2o$9b2o9bobo13bob3obo
66bo11bobo29b5o$21b2o14b5o66bobo11b2o30b3o$108bobo11bo32bo19b2o$59bo
17bo30bo66bo$29b3o27b3o15b2o29bo57b2o5bobo$28bo3bo29bo9b2o4b2o13b2o5bo
7bo2bo15b3o36b2o5b2o$33bo27b2o5b2o2b2o4b3o11b3o3bo3bo6b2o52b2o$68b2o2b
2o4b2o9bob2o5bo15b2o46b3o$8bo2b2o4b2o2bo5bo2b3o31bo12b2o10bo2bo4bo5bo
8bo3bo46b2o$7bo3b3o2b3o3bo5b3o32b3o11bo11bob2o9b2o7bo5bo48b2o$8bo2b2o
4b2o2bo23bo16bo3bo14bo10b3o15bo2bo3bo48b2o$45b4o12bob3obo13bobo9b2o22b
o54b2o$46b4o12b5o14b2o25bo3bo3bo36b2o17b2o$46bo2bo5b2o50bob2o3b2o37b2o
$46b4o5b2o50bo50b2o$45b4o57b2o50bobo$45bo112bo$74bo$73bo50b2o3b2o$73b
3o6bo2b2o4b2o2bo30b3o$81bo3b3o2b3o3bo28bo3bo$58bo23bo2b2o4b2o2bo30bobo
41b2obob2o$55b4o68bo7bobo27b3o$54b4o76bo30bo4bo5bo15bo16b2o$47b2o5bo2b
o76bo31bo25b3o12bo3bo$47b2o5b4o11b2o63bo2bo33b2ob2o19bo10bo5bo13b2o$
55b4o10b2o55b2o6b3o21b3o12bo20b2o5b2o2b2obo3bo13b2o4b3o$58bo67b2o29bo
3bo39b2o3bo5bo10b2o6b5o$157bo3bo35bo9bo3bo10b3o5bo3bobo$158b3o10bo24bo
bo10b2o12b2o6bo3b2o$170bobo22bo3bo14bobo9b2o$169bo3bo22b3o15b2o10b2o$
169b5o20b2o3b2o14bo$168b2o3b2o$158b3o8b5o$157bo3bo8b3o$157bo3bo9bo34bo
bo$158b3o44bo4bo$211bo$206bo4bo3b2o3bo2bo3b2o$215b5o4b5o$133bo56bobo
15bob2o3b2o3bo2bo3b2o$75bo2bo52b4o54bo2bo16b3o$79bo51b2o2bo44b2o6b2o
18b3o$75bo3bo50bo3bo45b2o4b2o3bo15bobo$76b4o50bob2o36b2o16b2o18bo$131b
3o36b2o17bo2bo$190bobo2$72b2o$62bo9bobo16b2o$62bo10b3o15b2o$62bo11b3o
6b2o$67bo5b3o7b2o$38b2o6b2o17bobo4bobo$36bo4bo2bo4bo14bo7b2o$36bo4bo2b
o4bo$36bo4bo2bo4bo15b2o$38b2o6b2o7b2o10bo$56b2o44b3o$55bo35bo9bo3bo$
64b2o3b2o19b3o8bo3bo$67bo21b5o8b3o$64bo5bo17b2o3b2o$65b2ob2o19b5o$37bo
10bo17bobo20bo3bo$37b2o9b2o17bo22bobo$28b2o2b2o4b2o7bobo4bo12bo23bo10b
3o$28b2o2b2o4b3o13bobo44bo3bo$32b2o4b2o15bobo4b2o37bo3bo29b2o72bo$37b
2o16bo2bo3b2o5b2o18bo12b3o30b2o71bobo$37bo17bobo11bo17b2ob2o116b2obo4b
2o8bo$54bobo13b3o23bo111b2ob2o3b2o7b2o$54bo17bo13bo5bo4bo5bo104b2obo
13bobo$95b3o6b2o29bo37b6o29bobo$86b2obob2o10b2o29bobo35bo6bo4bo24bo$
133bo3bo33bo8bo3b2o$134b3o35bo6bo3bobo$132b2o3b2o34b6o2$216bo$155b2o
43bo14bobo12bo$155bo43b3o6b2o4bob2o11bobo$147b2o3b2obo27b2o13b5o5b2o3b
2ob2o12b2o$89b2o55bo3bo3bo27bobo12b2o3b2o10bob2o$89b2o54bo26bo11bo30bo
bo29b6o$95b2o48bo3bo2bo19bobo41bo29bo6bo$95b2o48bo5bo9b2o12b2o9b2o11bo
33b3o9bo8bo$98b2o46bo3bo10b2o12b2o9b2o11bo33bo12bo6bo$98b3o46b2o26b2o
6b2o6bo3b2o37bo12b6o$98b2o52b2o18bobo7b3o5bo3bobo5b2o$88b2o5b2o54bo2bo
17bo10b2o6b5o6bo$87bobo5b2o57bo31b2o4b3o8b3o19bo$87bo66bo31b2o17bo18b
3o$86b2o19bo44bobo68b5o13b2o$106b3o43bobo67b2o3b2o12bobo$105b5o43bo87b
o11bo$96b2o6b2o3b2o140bobo$96b2o128bo11b2o9b2o12b2o$138b2o10b2o3b2o69b
o11b2o9b2o12b2o$138b2o10bo5bo72b2o3bo6b2o6b2o$95b3o8b3o113b2o5bobo3bo
5b3o7bobo$95b3o8b3o38b2o2bo3bo67bo6b5o6b2o10bo$146b2o4b3o65b3o8b3o4b2o
$148bo71bo17b2o$107b2o$93b2o3b2o7b2o$94b5o39b3o$95b3o40bobo$75b2o19bo
41b3o$76bo61b3o10bo$76bobo5b2o52b3o8b2ob2o$77b2o5b2o52b3o$87b2o18b2o
29bobo7bo5bo$87b3o18b2o28b3o$87b2o18bo40b2obob2o$84b2o$84b2o$78b2o17bo
$78b2o16bobo$96b2o$92b2o$91bobo$93bo$150b2o$150b2o3$75b2obob2o$84b3o$
75bo5bo4bo$85bo$76b2ob2o$78bo12b3o$90bo3bo$90bo3bo$80bo10b3o$79bobo$
78bo3bo$78b5o$77b2o3b2o$78b5o8b3o$79b3o8bo3bo$80bo9bo3bo$91b3o8$80b2o$
80b2o!
and the aforementioned useless heisenburp:

Code: Select all

x = 102, y = 150, rule = B3/S23
bo$2bo$3o26$37bo$37b3o$40bo$39bobo$39bobo$40bo5$55b2o$55b2o$41bo$42bo$
40b3o$35b2o$34bobo$34bo$33b2o7b2o$42b2o2$50b2obo$50b2ob3o$56bo$50b2ob
3o$49bo2b2o$48bobo$30bo16bobob2obo$30b3o15bo2bob2o$33bo17bo$32b2o16b2o
$47bobo2b2o$47b2o2bo2bo$52b2o3$53b2o$53bo$51bobo$51b2o11$37b2o$37b2o
68$99b3o$99bo$100bo!
the only remotely interesting thing about it is that the input glider ends up on the same path as one of the splitter's outputs, but delayed by 11 generations.
Last edited by M. I. Wright on August 31st, 2015, 8:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
gmc_nxtman
Posts: 1158
Joined: May 26th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by gmc_nxtman »

Nice, thanks. An asynchronous toggle gun could be very helpful in a lot of situations.

Is there any way of getting the block to restore in a different place to get a stable glider pusher? I'm sure this reaction has been discovered before, but a stable glider pusher is often overlooked in its usefulness.

Code: Select all

x = 10, y = 8, rule = B3/S23
7b2o$7b2o2$8bo$7b2o$7bobo$2o$2o!
User avatar
codeholic
Moderator
Posts: 1174
Joined: September 13th, 2011, 8:23 am
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by codeholic »

It's a flipping stable 0-degree reflector:

Code: Select all

x = 10, y = 8, rule = B3/S23
2o5b2o$2o5b2o2$8bo$7b2o$7bobo$2o$2o!
Ivan Fomichev
M. I. Wright
Posts: 411
Joined: June 13th, 2015, 12:04 pm

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by M. I. Wright »

jslife has p936 loop based on the reaction:

Code: Select all

#CNoam Elkies, 5 Feb 2000
#C(Based on a reaction by Paul Callahan, 12 Jul 94)
x = 120, y = 134, rule = B3/S23
29b3o$32bo55boo$28bo3bo55boobo$18bo8bobobbo59bo8bo$18b3o4bobbobo58bo9b
3o$21bo3bo3bo60boboo4bo$20boo3bo66boo4boo$26b3o$23bo72bo$22bobo70bobo$
18boobboo72boobboo$18boo80boo$$bbo114bo$b3o$3obo110b3obo$bo3bo108boboo
$bbo3bo107boobo$3bob3o104bob3o$4b3o$5bo108bo$9bo100bo$8bobo98bobo$9boo
98boo$5boo106boo$4bobo106bobo$4bo5boo96boo5bo$3boo5boo96boo5boo36$36b
oo5boo30boo5boo$36boo5boo30boo5boo$$44bo$43boo$43bobo$36boo44boo$36boo
44boo35$36bo$3boo5boo24boo70boo5boo$4bo5boo23bobo70boo5bo$4bobo106bobo
$5boo106boo$9boo98boo$8bobo98bobo$9bo100bo$5bo108bo$4b3o$3bob3o104bob
3o$bbo3bo107boobo$bo3bo108boboo$3obo110b3obo$b3o$bbo114bo$$18boo80boo$
18boobboo72boobboo$22bobo70bobo$23bo72bo$26b3o$20boo3bo66boo4boo$21bo
3bo3bo60boboo4bo$18b3o4bobbobo58bo9b3o$18bo8bobobbo59bo8bo$28bo3bo55b
oobo$32bo55boo$29b3o!
The three-block constellation can also be formed by whacking half a blockade with a glider.

Code: Select all

x = 17, y = 16, rule = B3/S23
14bo$14bobo$14b2o11$2o$2o2b2o$4b2o!
User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 12030
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Switchable gun?

Post by dvgrn »

M. I. Wright wrote:#C The OFF part can definitely be shrunken (are there any reasonably small glider delayers?), and building a spartan version of the whole thing should be easy enough
...
The only thing you have to worry about is the OFF signal hitting the gun's glider (the heisenburp below is an example).
Yes, the way I read the original question is that it's necessary for the turn-ON signal and the turn-OFF signal to be able to be sent in at any time. There are a lot of ticks where that two-glider-makes-block OFF signal will cause an explosion in the gun, due to the passing glider.

If we have a way of arranging the timing to guarantee that the turn-OFF signal won't collide with the circulating glider, there are simpler ways to stop a glider, such as Paul Callahan's 1996 glider stopper:

Code: Select all

x = 170, y = 196, rule = LifeHistory
99.3D.3D$99.D.D.D.D$99.D.D.D.D$99.3D.D.D2$99.7D$99.D5.D$99.D2.C2.D$
99.D3.C.D$99.D.3C.D$99.D5.D$99.7D3$82.2A$83.A$83.A.A17.2A$84.2A17.2A
11$89.2A$88.A.A$88.A$87.2A3$88.2A$87.A2.A2.2A$88.2A2.A.A$90.2A16.2A$
90.A17.A$87.2A.A2.A15.3A$87.A.2A.A.A16.A$91.A.A$88.2A2.A$86.3A.2A$85.
A$86.3A.2A$88.A.2A$150.A$98.2A50.3A$98.2A7.2A44.A$107.A44.A.A$105.A.A
44.A.A$105.2A33.A12.A$138.3A$137.A$137.2A$85.2A$85.2A81.2A$168.2A2$
116.2A$117.A$101.A15.A.A28.2A$100.A.A15.2A27.A.A$100.A.A44.A$101.A44.
2A7.2A$102.3A50.2A$104.A2.2A$108.A54.2A.A$108.A.A30.2A20.2A.3A$109.2A
30.A27.A$142.3A18.2A.3A$127.2A15.A17.A2.2A$127.2A32.A.A$143.A16.A.A.
2A.A$143.3A15.A2.A.2A$146.A17.A$109.2A34.2A16.2A$108.A.A49.A.A2.2A$
108.A51.2A2.A2.A$107.2A56.2A3$166.2A$120.2A44.A$120.2A42.A.A$164.2A
11$150.2A$150.2A86$3D.2D.2D$D.D.D2.D$D.D.2D.2D$3D.D2.D2$.7D$.D5.D$.D
2.2C.D$.D.C.C.D$.D3.C.D$.D5.D$.7D!
No doubt there are ways to push an obstructing block into the path of the circulating glider, in a way that reduces the amount of time when a bad explosion will happen. It should be easy to reduce the problem to say 4-8 ticks, but it's hard to get all the way to zero (circulating glider is always cleanly annihilated along with the blocking object).

Failing that, there are several universal-regulator mechanisms available. It looks like I never actually got around to building a stable (P1) universal regulator, so here's the old P8 one from May 2003, recovery time 712+8N ticks (depending on the period of the adjustable drive gun). I've modernized it with a shiny new p712 gun, but a Spartan gun could be used instead.

Code: Select all

x = 141, y = 226, rule = B3/S23
73bo$72b3o$71b3obo$72bo3bo8bo$73bo3bo5b3o$74bob3o3bo$75b3o4b2o$76bo19b
2o$80bo$79bobo13bo3bo$80b2o2b2o8bo4bo$84b2o7bobobo$92bobobo$66b2o5b2o
15bo4bo$67bo5b2o15bo3bo$67bobo$68b2o19bo2b2o$72b2o14bobo$47bo23bobo14b
2o$72bo19b2o$45bob3o42bobo$47b2obo8bo8b2o17b2o5bo$47bob2o6b3o6bob2o17b
2o5b2o$48b3obo3bo8bo$56b2o10bo$50bo13b2obo$54bo9b2o$53bobo$54b2o2b2o$
58b2o43bo$101b3o$100bo$100b2o$85b2o$80b2o4bo$80bo5bobo$78bobo6b2o10bo$
78b2o18bobo$74bo23bobo$73bobo23bo4b2o$73bobo11b2o15bobo$74bo8b2obobo
17bo9bo$83b2obo19b2o$86bo27b3obo$86bob2o23bob2o$84bobob2o23b2obo$84b2o
25bob3o$24b2o5b2o$25bo5b2o80bo$25bobo35b2o31b2o11bo$26b2o36bo31b2o10bo
bo$30b2o32bobo41b2o$29bobo33b2o45b2o$30bo81bobo$25b3o55b2o22b2o5bo$28b
o49b2obo2bo22b2o5b2o$24bo3bo49b2ob2o$23bobo2bo$21bo2bobo51b2ob2o$21bo
3bo53bobo2b2o$21bo57bobo3bo$22b3o55bo4bobo$86b2o2$76b2o$76bobo4bo$32bo
45bo3bobo35bobo$31b2o45b2o2bobo35b2o$30bob2o47b2ob2o35bo$29b3o2bo$31bo
bobo8bo36b2ob2o$32bobobo5b3o34bo2bob2o$33bo2b3o2bo37b2o$34b2obo3b2o$
35b2o60b2o$35bo3bo57bobo$38bobo25b2o31bo$39b2o2b2o21b2o31b2o$43b2o2$
78b2o$74b2obobo$74b2obo$77bo$56b2o19bob2o$57bo17bobob2o8bo$57bobo15b2o
11bobo$58b2o4bo23bobo$63bobo23bo$50b2o11bobo18b2o$46b2o2b2o12bo10b2o6b
obo$45bobo27bobo5bo$46bo30bo4b2o$42bo34b3o$41bobo4b2o12b2o16bo$40bo3bo
3bo14bo15b2o$39bo3bo5b3o8b3o$38bo3bo8bo8bo$37bo3bo$38bobo$39bo$54bo$3b
2o5b2o42b3o24bo14bo$4bo5b2o45bo23b3o10b3o$4bobo49b2o26bo8bo$5b2o76b2o
8b2o$9b2o10bo7bo46b2o$8bobo10b2o4b3o47bo$9bo11b2o3bo50bobo$5bo16bo3b2o
50b2o$4bobo$3bo3bo$2bo3bo$bo3bo92b2o$o3bo93bobo$bobo96bo$2bo97b2o$35b
2o$35b2o$23b2o$22bo2bo$17b2o4b2o65b2o$16bobo71b2o2b2o21b2o$16bo77bobo
21bo$15b2o54b2o23bo20bo$25b2o38b2o5bo23b2o19b2o6b2o$25bo39bobob3o53b2o
$26b3o29b2o7bobo35b3o9b2o$28bo11b2o16b2o7b2o24b2o10bo11b2o$36b2o2b2o
51b2o11bo$35bobo97b2o$36bo98bo$32bo59b2o39bobo$38b2o51bo2bo38b2o$30b3o
bo3bo53bobo$29bob2o6b3o48bobobobo$29b2obo8bo48b2obobobo$27bob3o61bo2bo
$90b3ob2o$29bo60bo3bo$94bo$92b2o12bo$91bo13bo$91b3o11b3o28b2o$94bo36b
2o2bo2bo$93b2o36bobo2b2o$116b2o16b2o$117bo17bo$82b2ob2o27b3o15bo2bob2o
$82b2obo28bo16bobob2obo$85bo46bobo$85b3o4b2o39bo2b2o$83b2o3bo3b2o40b2o
b3o$82bo2b4o51bo$82b2obo15b2o31b2ob3o$83bo2b3o12bobo30b2obo$83bo5bo13b
o$84b5o14b2o21b2o$86bo30b2o7b2o$118bo$118bobo$119b2o4$139b2o$139b2o5$
124bo$123bobo$123bobo$124bo$121b3o5bo$121bo5b3o$126bo$126b2o3$134b2ob
2o$135bob2o$135bo$127b2o4b3o$127b2o3bo3b2o$132b4o2bo$118b2o15bob2o$
117bobo12b3o2bo$117bo13bo5bo$116b2o14b5o$134bo6$80bo$78b5o14b2o$77bo5b
o13bo$77bo2b3o12bobo$76b2obo15b2o$76bo2b4o$77b2o3bo3b2o11bo$79b3o4b2o
11b3o$79bo22bo$76b2obo21b2o$76b2ob2o3$87b2o$88bo$85b3o$85bo25b2o$104b
2o5bobo$104b2o7bo$113b2o2$100bo$99bobob2o$99bobobobo$98b2obobobo2bo$
99bo2b2ob4o$99bo4bo$100b3obo2b2o$102b2o3b2o!
The regulator is at the top, and the p712 gun is at the bottom. A sample input glider is shown. No matter when that input glider comes in, the eater will always be cleanly destroyed and then rebuilt, and one output signal will be produced.

There's a single close-call timing, where the elevener is needed to suppress an otherwise deadly spark.

The p8N reflectors and G-to-H components could now be replaced with Snarks and syringes -- just have to end up with the same eater-making glider collision. The trick could be done with pure Spartan circuitry if necessary, but the p712 drive gun would have to be replaced with a much higher-period gun.

EDIT: If the regulator gets improved much, it won't be useless any more. I've posted a stable version on a new thread.
Bullet51
Posts: 712
Joined: July 21st, 2014, 4:35 am

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by Bullet51 »

Component from non-standard soup search:

Code: Select all

x = 13, y = 6, rule = B3/S23
7bo$6bobob2o$2o4bobobobo$b2o4b2o3bo$o8b3o$9bo!
Still drifting.
Post Reply