Anti-Spam Protection on LifeWiki

For discussion directly related to LifeWiki.
Haycat2009
Posts: 1053
Joined: April 26th, 2023, 5:47 am
Location: Bahar Junction, Zumaland

Re: Anti-Spam Protection on LifeWiki

Post by Haycat2009 »

Haycat2009 wrote: October 21st, 2024, 11:06 pm Should we actually put our foot down on the creation of the spam users in Lifewiki?
confocaloid wrote: August 18th, 2024, 11:28 pm
Simply creating a SPAM account is already a violation.
I think that something should be done, as there have been 13 accounts made, only one of which is genuine.

I realised that my username and format looks similar to that of the spammers, but I can assure you that they are not related to me.
~ Haycat Durnak, a hard-working editor
Also, support Conway and Friends story mode!
I mean no harm to those who have tested me. But do not take this for granted.
User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 12036
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Anti-Spam Protection on LifeWiki

Post by dvgrn »

Haycat2009 wrote: October 31st, 2024, 10:08 pm I think that something should be done, as there have been 13 accounts made, only one of which is genuine.
Nathaniel has been aware of the issue since these types of spammer accounts first started getting created. His latest response was
... for now I'll just keep an eye on it. Honestly I'm not sure what next steps to take to prevent spam on the wiki beyond just locking down account creation entirely (i.e., requiring users to request a trusted flag *before* creating a wiki account, which I could do, but don't particularly want to do).
It would be nice if there was something obvious that could be done -- find the programmer that wrote the silly spambot that is pointlessly creating all of these accounts, and maybe smack them with a rolled-up newspaper or something.

However, it looks fairly likely to me that each new round of pointless account creation is actually a new spammer who has purchased the spambot and is telling it to generate spamvertisements all across the Internet. They're not going to succeed in creating any spamvertisements on the LifeWiki, because they're not going to get trusted even if one of them finds their way to the forum thread and asks.

The thing is, very likely none of them even notices that they're being blocked from spamming the LifeWiki -- because the LifeWiki is just one of dozens or hundreds of wikis that have enough protections set up to keep them out. The spambot will simultaneously be succeeding in dozens or hundreds of other places, and reporting back to the spammer about those successes.

Meanwhile, we see the accumulated litter of new accounts from the spambot's failed attempts. Try not to worry about it. It's annoying, but really fairly harmless. If we need to take further steps, we will, but at the moment the cure would be worse than the disease.
Post Reply