Page 2 of 2
Re: B2/S34H (Hexagonal Life)
Posted: March 11th, 2016, 8:33 pm
by drc
It would be cool to see a top 100 most common objects and/or a search program for hex life
Re: B2/S34H (Hexagonal Life)
Posted: March 11th, 2016, 8:35 pm
by TheoSwartz
Funny you say that; I did a manual search for most common objects (using random fill over and over again), I'll post it in a few minutes but IRL events are getting in the way at the moment.
Re: B2/S34H (Hexagonal Life)
Posted: March 11th, 2016, 8:56 pm
by drc
Some new oscs in B256/S34:
Code: Select all
x = 23, y = 25, rule = B256/S34H
3o7b2o$2bo7b3o$3o8b2o$o$3o16$3o10bo4bo$obo9bo5bobo$3o8bo8bobo$obo7bo
11bo$3o!
And a 446 gen methuselah that's almost p18:
Code: Select all
x = 5, y = 5, rule = B256/S34H
o2$bo$b2o$o3bo!
Re: B2/S34H (Hexagonal Life)
Posted: March 12th, 2016, 12:28 am
by TheoSwartz
I think it's a bit confusing to have patterns from a bunch of different hex rules in one thread; I wouldn't be opposed to them being in different ones. The original thread title was B2/S34H.
Anyway, my evening got busier than I thought but here's my findings of most common oscillators in B2/34H - just listed the number of times each one showed up, total. It's only from 35 soups so obviously doesn't have that much depth. The names are by David Siaw and other contributors in
this blog post and
this second one.
2cell -- 510
Spinner -- 55
Bat -- 47
Mouth -- 26
Dancer -- 16
Bone -- 15
Star -- 7
Rotator -- 5
Flower -- 1
Morpher -- 1
No data in 35 soups for Snake, Tristar, or Swimmer.
The Morpher data seems unlucky to me (skewed too small) because when I ran bigger soups recently, it started showing up really often. So's the case with small test numbers.
Re: B2/S34H (Hexagonal Life)
Posted: March 12th, 2016, 6:02 am
by Martin Büttner
Here's a p4 that only works next to one of those 120 degree wedges:
Code: Select all
x = 23, y = 23, rule = B2/S34H
5bo$6bo$5b4o$4b3ob3o$3b3o4b3o$2b3o7b3obo$4o10b3o$2bo13bo$2b2o12b2o$3bo
13bo$3b2o12b2o$4bo13bo$4b2o12b2o$5bo13bo$5b2o12b2o$6bo13bo$6b3o3b2o5b
4o$6bob3o3bo3b3o$10b3obo2b3o$12b3ob3o$14b4o$16bo$17bo!
I also found a p7 and a p8 which need a 60 degree wedge as support, which I don't have .rle's for yet (and I don't recall whether the p7 also interacts with the opposite wall or not):

- GygdEppm.jpg (19.19 KiB) Viewed 698 times

- idEyT9a.png (8.61 KiB) Viewed 698 times
Side note: I think
Arena would be a nice name for any enclosed stable structure, regardless of form and symmetry (including these hexagonal rings as well as Dean's billiard tables). I find these quite interesting to investigate in this rule because anything that happens inside is safely confined to it and they also supports lots of patterns that cannot happen outside.
Re: B2/S34H (Hexagonal Life)
Posted: March 12th, 2016, 6:59 am
by muzik
I know this is kind of irrelevant, but I wish golly or something had support for a hexagonal grid. Unless I'm missing something. Using a normal square grid is confusing.
Re: B2/S34H (Hexagonal Life)
Posted: March 12th, 2016, 7:03 am
by Martin Büttner
A couple new ways to build junctions, and the triangle thingy in the middle is a new p5:

- XMuSUk3m.jpg (16.18 KiB) Viewed 698 times
Re: B2/S34H (Hexagonal Life)
Posted: November 19th, 2022, 11:34 am
by Naszvadi
P48 oscillator eats P14 glider:
Code: Select all
x = 199, y = 130, rule = B2/S34H
o3bo75bo3bo2$o2bo2bo73bo2bo2bo$3b2o78b2o3$4bobo77bobo11$11bo78bo$8bo
80bo2bo$9b3obo73b2o$85bo3b2o$85b2o$7bo2bo77bo$9bobo75bo$8bo3$100bo$21b
obo77bo$19b2ob2o71bob2o$22bo76b2obo$16bobo77bo$19bo2bo$97bo$20bo4$33bo
75b3o$29bo2bo74bo3bo$28bo4b2o74b2o$27b2o4bo$32bo74b2obo$28b2o76bo$108b
o4$41b2o75b2o$42bo78bobo$40bo3bo74b2o$40bo2bo72bobo2bo$39bobo75bo$38bo
2bo76b2o2$39bo3$50bo80bo$52bo74bo5bo$50bo3bo73bo3bo$50bo77bo2bo$51bo
74bobo3bo$48bo2bo$49bo78bo$51bo2$140bo2$64bo75bo$60bo2bo74bo2bo$63bobo
72bo4bo$59bobo75bo$59bobobo74b2obo$59b2o76b2o$148bo$149bo$143bob2o$
147b2obo$72bo71bo$73bo$69bo2bobo70bo$69bobo2bo80bo$71bo79bo5bo$70bobo
79bo3bo$152bo2bo$70bo79bobo3bo2$152bo$162bo$161bo2bo$159b2o$157bo3b2o$
157b2o$160bo$159bo$166b2o$169bobo$167b2o$164bobo2bo$165bo$166b2o$174bo
$173b2obo$172bo3bo3$172bo2bo$171bob2o$173bo$181b3o$179bo3bo$181b2o2$
179b2obo$178bo9bo$180bo$188bo$186bo2bo$186bo4bo$185bo$186b2obo$185b2o$
196bo$197bo$191bob2o$195b2obo$192bo2$193bo!
Re: B2/S34H (Hexagonal Life)
Posted: August 29th, 2023, 2:50 pm
by SuperNerdUqau
A pattern that expands very interestingly. It reminds me of a snowflake.
Code: Select all
x = 7, y = 7, rule = B2/S34H
b2o$o3bo$ob2obo$2bobo$bob2obo$2bo3bo$4b2o!