former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)
The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...
I believe the original 19-glider synthesis was found by Jason Summers, although I don't know when, since it was from earlier than when I started keeping track of dates. Catagolue lists a 13-glider one, but I don't know where that's from. This could be reduced to 12, if one could make the loaf+ship constellation from 3 gliders.
I believe the original 19-glider synthesis was found by Jason Summers, although I don't know when, since it was from earlier than when I started keeping track of dates. Catagolue lists a 13-glider one, but I don't know where that's from. This could be reduced to 12, if one could make the loaf+ship constellation from 3 gliders.
awesome soup - nice osc - would make a great pet - so soothing and relaxing
mniemiec wrote: February 26th, 2020, 3:47 pm
I believe the original 19-glider synthesis was found by Jason Summers, although I don't know when, since it was from earlier than when I started keeping track of dates. Catagolue lists a 13-glider one, but I don't know where that's from. This could be reduced to 12, if one could make the loaf+ship constellation from 3 gliders.
x = 38, y = 28, rule = B3/S23
o$b2o$2o3$23bo$22bobo$22bo2bo$23b2o$16bo13b2o$17b2o11bobo$16b2o13b2o6$
35bo$35bobo$23bobo4b3o2b2o$24b2o4bo$24bo6bo4$4b2o$5b2o$4bo!
Note that loaf, ship and pi are all producible from blinker+glider, which might lead to further reduction. The idea doesn't help to reduce the loaf+ship, though:
former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)
The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...
Turning this into a construction would be a useful exercise for those wanting to try and see how it's done. The constructions I have take at least 25 Gliders, and do not attach to an existing Fishhook Eater, so finding this would make possible all sorts of Confused Eater-like oscillators constructions.
Billabob wrote: April 1st, 2020, 9:55 am
It's April 1st, and my notifier has told me about a Loafer soup in C1... I'm still posting it, despite the red flags.
It seems either 1) John Goodman has broken SHA256, or 2) this is legitimately what we've all been waiting for: the first occurrence of a non-c/2 and non-glider spaceship in asymmetry. Congrats to John Goodman for the great find!
former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)
The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...
Billabob wrote: April 1st, 2020, 9:55 am
It's April 1st, and my notifier has told me about a Loafer soup in C1... I'm still posting it, despite the red flags.
What an auspicious day for such a momentous discovery!
The soup seems to be a little too active to make for an easy new synthesis, but at least the loafer has the decency to wait until T=25 or so before making an appearance. Does this give any glider-synth experts any ideas about a new loafer recipe?
Offhand I'm not too hopeful that this will enable a 7G-or-cheaper recipe, but I've been wrong before (once or twice).
Billabob wrote: April 1st, 2020, 9:55 am
It's April 1st, and my notifier has told me about a Loafer soup in C1... I'm still posting it, despite the red flags.
What an auspicious day for such a momentous discovery!
Indeed!
Congratulations John Goodman, a remarkable discovery.
The 5S project (Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds) is now maintained by AforAmpere. The latest collection is hosted on GitHub and contains well over 1,000,000 spaceships.
Semi-active here - recovering from a severe case of LWTDS.
Congratulations, even if the timing is crummy for credibility!
EDIT:
dvgrn humorously suggests this is the perfect timing on the discord:
Nah, it's a perfect date! Just imagine all the extra work J.G. had to go to to make this happen on just the right day -- 1. solve the P=NP problem; 2. hack apgsearch to submit a 25-tick 16x16 predecessor of a loafer found using (1) on April 1st; 3. Profit (?).
κ is measurable iff there is a nontrivial elementary embedding j:V→M (M transitive) with critical point κ
John Goodman wrote: April 21st, 2020, 9:23 pm
The largest megasized soup so far was found in C1 on 21 April 2020 (6249 cells, reached at generation 19968).
Congratulations to Rob Liston for yet another discovery, and in G1 no less! Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to reduce into a bunch of easy-to-remember parts like the last ones.