Page 85 of 245

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: October 25th, 2020, 9:38 pm
by Trump {Bot}
Are there any useful discoveries made by Chinese users?
I'm really Nervous...

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: October 26th, 2020, 8:44 am
by yujh
can anyone show me a spark to glider converter?(I forgot where I found it)

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: October 26th, 2020, 9:20 am
by Hunting
Trump {Bot} wrote: October 25th, 2020, 9:38 pm Are there any useful discoveries made by Chinese users?
I'm really Nervous...
Yes, there are several. Many synthesises were found by GUYTU6J, many billard tables were found by Bullet51.

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: October 26th, 2020, 9:27 am
by apg
Hunting wrote: October 26th, 2020, 9:20 am
Trump {Bot} wrote: October 25th, 2020, 9:38 pm Are there any useful discoveries made by Chinese users?
I'm really Nervous...
Yes, there are several. Many synthesises were found by GUYTU6J, many billard tables were found by Bullet51.
and rlifesrc was created by AlephAlpha.

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: October 26th, 2020, 10:25 am
by dvgrn
yujh wrote: October 26th, 2020, 8:44 am can anyone show me a spark to glider converter?(I forgot where I found it)
There are several of them floating around, like here and here.

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: October 26th, 2020, 11:14 am
by wwei23
Trump {Bot} wrote: October 25th, 2020, 9:38 pm I'm really Nervous...
Um, why nervous though?

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: October 26th, 2020, 12:43 pm
by MathAndCode
wwei23 wrote: October 26th, 2020, 11:14 am
Trump {Bot} wrote: October 25th, 2020, 9:38 pm I'm really Nervous...
Um, why nervous though?
I think that the account is supposed to be based off of Donald Trump in real life, so that is probably based off of Trump's fear that China is seeking to usurp America.

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: October 27th, 2020, 3:52 am
by Hunting
calcyman wrote: October 26th, 2020, 9:27 am
Hunting wrote: October 26th, 2020, 9:20 am
Trump {Bot} wrote: October 25th, 2020, 9:38 pm Are there any useful discoveries made by Chinese users?
I'm really Nervous...
Yes, there are several. Many synthesises were found by GUYTU6J, many billard tables were found by Bullet51.
and rlifesrc was created by AlephAlpha.
He said discoveries. Search tools are not discoveries.

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: October 27th, 2020, 5:18 pm
by Moosey
Where can I get the most recent version of kittyst? What version of python do I need to download to run it? (or is it no longer python)

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: October 27th, 2020, 9:01 pm
by Trump {Bot}
Hunting wrote: October 27th, 2020, 3:52 am
calcyman wrote: October 26th, 2020, 9:27 am
Hunting wrote: October 26th, 2020, 9:20 am

Yes, there are several. Many synthesises were found by GUYTU6J, many billard tables were found by Bullet51.
and rlifesrc was created by AlephAlpha.
He said discoveries. Search tools are not discoveries.
What? I didn't know that GUYTU6J is Chinese.
I couldn't believe how he could do Catalogue.
Also, why is "Catalogue" misspelled so often?

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: October 27th, 2020, 9:32 pm
by Scorbie
Trump {Bot} wrote:(Just for notifications)
Your forum handle and PFP make your message way more "crossing-the-line" than it is, just so you know... :s
Edit: Oh I didn't see the context from the first post on this page, whoops; I didn't know you were very joking from the beginning.
Trump {Bot} wrote: October 27th, 2020, 9:01 pm Also, why is "Catalogue" misspelled so often?
Calcyman's project "CataGOLue" is a portmanteau of "CataLOGue" and "GOL"(which stands for Game of Life).
Emphasis by capitalization mine.

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: October 29th, 2020, 3:10 am
by Trump {Bot}
Why do some of the rulestrings contain small letters or even words like "city" or "cent"?
What do they mean?
What does "xp0_xxxxxx" mean?

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: October 29th, 2020, 5:20 am
by Schiaparelliorbust
Trump {Bot} wrote: October 29th, 2020, 3:10 am Why do some of the rulestrings contain small letters or even words like "city" or "cent"?
What do they mean?
What does "xp0_xxxxxx" mean?
Those are non-totalistic rules. The notation uses letters to signify the position of cells in the neighbourhood. The second one is probably an apgcode for something.

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: November 1st, 2020, 7:46 pm
by Trump {Bot}
ColorfulGalaxy wrote: October 1st, 2060, 10:01 amEightLife:

Code: Select all

x = 6, y = 5, rule = B3/S238
4bo$5bo$4b2o$b2o2bo$5o!
A honeycomb (4ALLA4) appeared in the ash.
HoneyLife:

Code: Select all

x = 6, y = 5, rule = B38/S238
4bo$5bo$4b2o$b2o2bo$5o!
Just Friends:

Code: Select all

x = 6, y = 5, rule = B2-a/S12
4bo$5bo$4b2o$b2o2bo$5o!
An unknown still life (229A2Q2) appeared.
Maze:

Code: Select all

x = 6, y = 5, rule = B3/S12345
4bo$5bo$4b2o$b2o2bo$5o!
Natural Stripes Puffer!!!
125/36:

Code: Select all

x = 6, y = 5, rule = B36/S125
4bo$5bo$4b2o$b2o2bo$5o!
An unknown still life (124) appeared.
What does "4ALLA4", "229A2Q2", and "124" mean?
What is a "Natural Stripes Puffer"?
Why do they call them Google doodles?

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: November 1st, 2020, 8:06 pm
by toroidalet
Mr. President, the weird combinations of letters and numbers are apgcodes for patterns that appear in the ash. The "natural stripes puffer" refers to a wickstretcher that appears in the pattern. Finally, they are called Google Doodles because the apgcode of the scribble is "google".

(The fact that the president of the United States, Commander-in-Chief of the US Army, leader of the Free World, etc. is unable to figure these things out (or worse, is intentionally trolling us by pretending to not know) would've undermined my faith in American democracy except for the fact that it had already been undermined.)

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: November 1st, 2020, 8:34 pm
by MathAndCode
Does this methuselah have a name? I feel like I've seen it at least three times in the past week, but its ash doesn't seem to match that of any of the common methuselahs.

Code: Select all

x = 5, y = 4, rule = B3/S23
b4o$o$o$bo!
I also think that I've seen this one multiple times in the past week, but I'm not as sure.

Code: Select all

x = 6, y = 6, rule = B3/S23
3bo2$3b3o$2b2o$bo$o!

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: November 1st, 2020, 8:39 pm
by toroidalet
That second one comes from an R-pentomino (compare with generation 2):

Code: Select all

x = 10, y = 11, rule = B3/S23
3b3o$3bo2bo$bo4bo$6bo$o$5bo$bo5b2o$2b2ob2ob2o$3bo4bo$4bo2bo$6b2o!
Really, there are too many of these small, reasonably-active patterns for them to all get a name (except for the common ones like B, Herschel, etc).

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: November 1st, 2020, 8:42 pm
by MathAndCode
toroidalet wrote: November 1st, 2020, 8:39 pm That second one comes from an R-pentomino (compare with generation 2):
I don't think so. It doesn't send out its first Herschel until its population is much larger than when the R-pentomino sends out its first Herschel, and it lasts over 150 generations longer than an R-pentomino.
toroidalet wrote: November 1st, 2020, 8:06 pmThe fact that the president of the United States, Commander-in-Chief of the US Army, leader of the Free World, etc. is unable to figure these things out would've undermined my faith in American democracy except for the fact that it had already been undermined.
I'm sure that the reason that he did not figure it out himself is because he is too busy performing the important responsibilities of a world leader, such as tweeting, playing golf, practicing Sinophobia, block-spamming, and insulting ColorfulGalaxy.

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: November 1st, 2020, 8:56 pm
by toroidalet
I was referring to the thing at the top, which could get disturbed into your pattern if something hits the R. For example, if we smack an LWSS into it:

Code: Select all

x = 8, y = 15, rule = DoubleB3S23
.C$3C$C8$4.3B$4.B2.B$4.B$4.B$5.B.B!
#C [[ STOP 21 ]]

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: November 1st, 2020, 9:00 pm
by MathAndCode
toroidalet wrote: November 1st, 2020, 8:56 pm I was referring to the thing at the top, which could get disturbed into your pattern if something hits the R. For example, if we smack an LWSS into it:

Code: Select all

x = 8, y = 15, rule = DoubleB3S23
.C$3C$C8$4.3B$4.B2.B$4.B$4.B$5.B.B!
#C [[ STOP 20 ]]
Ah; I see your point.

Code: Select all

x = 8, y = 15, rule = TripleB3S23
.E$3E$E8$4.3F$4.F2.F$4.F$4.F$5.F.F!

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: November 2nd, 2020, 11:31 pm
by Trump {Bot}
I just read your article on "SawTooth".
Almost all the "Sawtooth" you list grow gradually, then shrink gradually, then grow.
But I found some that doesn't shrink "gradually", but "suddenly".
Some examples are Highlife Replicator and the binary counting machine.
Should they be considered "SawTooth"?

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: November 3rd, 2020, 10:06 am
by Moosey
I remember there was a single-cell-to-glider thing as part of a quest for tetris challenge, can anyone find it?

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: November 3rd, 2020, 12:54 pm
by bubblegum
Trump {Bot} wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 11:31 pm I just read your article on "SawTooth".
Almost all the "Sawtooth" you list grow gradually, then shrink gradually, then grow.
But I found some that doesn't shrink "gradually", but "suddenly".
Some examples are Highlife Replicator and the binary counting machine.
Should they be considered "SawTooth"?
Well they drop below a certain population infinitely often and grow infinitely so yes.

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: November 3rd, 2020, 2:06 pm
by Schiaparelliorbust
Trump {Bot} wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 11:31 pm I just read your article on "SawTooth".
Almost all the "Sawtooth" you list grow gradually, then shrink gradually, then grow.
But I found some that doesn't shrink "gradually", but "suddenly".
Some examples are Highlife Replicator and the binary counting machine.
Should they be considered "SawTooth"?
The only condition a pattern needs to have to be a sawtooth is its population has to eventually grow beyond any arbitrary size and needs to drop down to temporarily a fixed value indefinitely.

Re: Thread for basic questions

Posted: November 3rd, 2020, 10:07 pm
by Trump {Bot}
Shouldn't these be considered Eater Siamese Eater??

Code: Select all

x = 35, y = 8, rule = B3/S23
2o9b2o8b2ob2o7b2o$bo10bo9bobobo5bobo$bobo8bobo7bobobo5bo$2b2o9b2o8b2o
b2o3b2o$4b2o9b2o16b2o$4bobo8bo17bo$6bo9b3o12bobo$6b2o10bo12b2o!