Miscellaneous LifeWiki Discussion

For discussion directly related to LifeWiki.
Chris857
Posts: 760
Joined: June 10th, 2020, 11:26 pm

Re: Miscellaneous LifeWiki Discussion

Post by Chris857 »

MDA wrote: August 22nd, 2026, 6:08 pm What is "Template:LinkWeisstein" (which seems to be present in almost every old article revision)?
With the power of the Internet Archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20200507212 ... kWeisstein
NOTE: this template is currently disabled, as Eric Weisstein's Treasure Trove of Life is badly out-of-date and outright incorrect in many places. To force a link to appear, use the force=1 parameter.

This is a template for including links to Eric Weisstein's Treasure Trove of Life in the "External Links" section of an article. It can take two parameters: filename, which specifies the HTML file that will be linked to on the Treasure Trove of Life, and patternname, which specifies the name of the pattern as it will appear in the link text. If patternname is omitted, the name of the current article will be used by default.
User avatar
MDA
Posts: 269
Joined: June 8th, 2026, 12:18 pm
Location: In Haven (B3-ry4acenqt5eir6-ek/S2-a3-a4nq5aeknr6-ak)
Contact:

Re: Miscellaneous LifeWiki Discussion

Post by MDA »

What is a LifeWiki “suppressor”? No users are currently in this group.
My website (a database of Life objects, WIP).
GlidINT has been released!
Currently working on a forum system for my website.

Code: Select all

x = 5, y = 17, rule = B3-ry4acenqt5eir6-ek/S2-a3-a4nq5aeknr6-akHistory
C$2C$.2C$2C11$.3D$3.D$2.3D!
[[ STOP 72 ]]
hotdogPi
Moderator
Posts: 2286
Joined: August 12th, 2020, 8:22 pm

Re: Miscellaneous LifeWiki Discussion

Post by hotdogPi »

MDA wrote: August 24th, 2026, 4:32 pm What is a LifeWiki “suppressor”? No users are currently in this group.
Suppressing a redirect means when you move a page you can choose to delete the old title rather than having it redirect to the new one.

That being said, I had no idea the group existed.
User:HotdogPi/My discoveries

Periods discovered:

All evens ≤128 except 52,58,78,82,92,94,98,104,118,122

5-15,㉕-㉛,㉟㊺,51,63,65,73,75
1㊳㊵㊹㊼㊽,54,56,72,74,80,90,92
217,240,300,486,576

Guns: 20,21,32,54,55,57,114,117,124,126
SKOPs: 32,74,76,102,196
User avatar
MDA
Posts: 269
Joined: June 8th, 2026, 12:18 pm
Location: In Haven (B3-ry4acenqt5eir6-ek/S2-a3-a4nq5aeknr6-ak)
Contact:

Re: Miscellaneous LifeWiki Discussion

Post by MDA »

What is “Eric Weisstein’s Treasure Trove of Life”? I found only a few mentions of it on the forums and there don’t seem to be any LifeWiki articles on it.
My website (a database of Life objects, WIP).
GlidINT has been released!
Currently working on a forum system for my website.

Code: Select all

x = 5, y = 17, rule = B3-ry4acenqt5eir6-ek/S2-a3-a4nq5aeknr6-akHistory
C$2C$.2C$2C11$.3D$3.D$2.3D!
[[ STOP 72 ]]
User avatar
wirehead
Posts: 304
Joined: June 18th, 2022, 2:37 pm
Location: /dev/full
Contact:

Re: Miscellaneous LifeWiki Discussion

Post by wirehead »

In the left side column of links, the link for "Special pages" sometimes shows and sometimes doesn't. For example, it shows for 204P41 but does not show for 74P127. Why?
Langton's ant: Can't play the drums, can be taught.
hotdogPi
Moderator
Posts: 2286
Joined: August 12th, 2020, 8:22 pm

Re: Miscellaneous LifeWiki Discussion

Post by hotdogPi »

I see it in both.

MacBook Pro, Safari, logged in as admin.
User:HotdogPi/My discoveries

Periods discovered:

All evens ≤128 except 52,58,78,82,92,94,98,104,118,122

5-15,㉕-㉛,㉟㊺,51,63,65,73,75
1㊳㊵㊹㊼㊽,54,56,72,74,80,90,92
217,240,300,486,576

Guns: 20,21,32,54,55,57,114,117,124,126
SKOPs: 32,74,76,102,196
User avatar
wirehead
Posts: 304
Joined: June 18th, 2022, 2:37 pm
Location: /dev/full
Contact:

Re: Miscellaneous LifeWiki Discussion

Post by wirehead »

hotdogPi wrote: August 29th, 2026, 4:50 pm I see it in both.

MacBook Pro, Safari, logged in as admin.
I was not logged in. Maybe it works differently if you're logged out?
Langton's ant: Can't play the drums, can be taught.
NooneAtAll3
Posts: 65
Joined: January 29th, 2023, 3:38 am

Re: Miscellaneous LifeWiki Discussion

Post by NooneAtAll3 »

I also don't see the "Special Pages" button on 74P127

I tried capturing with wayback machine.(https://web.archive.org/web/20260830170 ... iki/74P127)
css is all broken (at least for me right now, could be ddos problem on WM), but I think the button isn't there in the capture
AforAmpere
Moderator
Posts: 1427
Joined: July 1st, 2016, 3:58 pm

Re: Miscellaneous LifeWiki Discussion

Post by AforAmpere »

What would be the policy on adding OCA namespace pages for things other than just rules? For instance, a page on speed limits and their proofs in various rulespaces.
The torch of 5S has been passed on again, and is now managed by speedydelete. It can be found here. Also check out my program EPE, a tool for searching for patterns in various rulespaces.
User avatar
ThePlayzr
Posts: 834
Joined: April 19th, 2025, 1:33 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Miscellaneous LifeWiki Discussion

Post by ThePlayzr »

In the Density page, in the Densities of other objects section, it says on the second line:
The maximum average density of an oscillating agar is conjectured but not proven to be 1/2. The current upper bound is 1176/2087≈0.563, proven by Keith Amling in 2024.[5]
However, I am pretty sure that it should say this:
The maximum average density of a period 2 agar is conjectured but not proven to be 1/2. The current upper bound is 1176/2087≈0.563, proven by Keith Amling in 2024.[5]
But I'm not 100% sure. Can someone verify I am correct before I change this?
Please visit my rules (found on my wiki page) and contribute!
User:ThePlayzr
I have LLS and qfind.
Working on a jslife-like Travelling Ts pattern collection.
User avatar
LuveelVoom
Posts: 692
Joined: April 27th, 2022, 7:59 pm

Re: Miscellaneous LifeWiki Discussion

Post by LuveelVoom »

In addition, the page fails to mention “my” recent 16/31 upper bound (which I believe has been checked and found to be correct. If it hasn’t been thoroughly checked, then uhh nvm)
User avatar
EvinZL
Posts: 1074
Joined: November 8th, 2018, 4:15 pm
Location: here

Re: Miscellaneous LifeWiki Discussion

Post by EvinZL »

ThePlayzr wrote: October 4th, 2026, 8:31 am In the Density page, in the Densities of other objects section, it says on the second line:
The maximum average density of an oscillating agar is conjectured but not proven to be 1/2. The current upper bound is 1176/2087≈0.563, proven by Keith Amling in 2024.[5]
However, I am pretty sure that it should say this:
The maximum average density of a period 2 agar is conjectured but not proven to be 1/2. The current upper bound is 1176/2087≈0.563, proven by Keith Amling in 2024.[5]
But I'm not 100% sure. Can someone verify I am correct before I change this?
you're wrong
User avatar
ThePlayzr
Posts: 834
Joined: April 19th, 2025, 1:33 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Miscellaneous LifeWiki Discussion

Post by ThePlayzr »

EvinZL wrote: October 4th, 2026, 8:38 pm
ThePlayzr wrote: October 4th, 2026, 8:31 am In the Density page, in the Densities of other objects section, it says on the second line:
The maximum average density of an oscillating agar is conjectured but not proven to be 1/2. The current upper bound is 1176/2087≈0.563, proven by Keith Amling in 2024.[5]
However, I am pretty sure that it should say this:
The maximum average density of a period 2 agar is conjectured but not proven to be 1/2. The current upper bound is 1176/2087≈0.563, proven by Keith Amling in 2024.[5]
But I'm not 100% sure. Can someone verify I am correct before I change this?
you're wrong
How? For a period as low as 6, you can produce a counterexample:

Code: Select all

x = 0, y = 3, rule = B3/S23:T8,2
2o$2o
EDIT: come on, why can't I stop missing obvious and very important pieces of information, am I really that stupid? :roll:
Last edited by ThePlayzr on October 5th, 2026, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my rules (found on my wiki page) and contribute!
User:ThePlayzr
I have LLS and qfind.
Working on a jslife-like Travelling Ts pattern collection.
hotdogPi
Moderator
Posts: 2286
Joined: August 12th, 2020, 8:22 pm

Re: Miscellaneous LifeWiki Discussion

Post by hotdogPi »

ThePlayzr wrote: Yesterday, 7:21 am How? For a period as low as 6, you can produce a counterexample:

Code: Select all

x = 0, y = 3, rule = B3/S23:T8,2
2o$2o
That only has an average density of 5/12.
User:HotdogPi/My discoveries

Periods discovered:

All evens ≤128 except 52,58,78,82,92,94,98,104,118,122

5-15,㉕-㉛,㉟㊺,51,63,65,73,75
1㊳㊵㊹㊼㊽,54,56,72,74,80,90,92
217,240,300,486,576

Guns: 20,21,32,54,55,57,114,117,124,126
SKOPs: 32,74,76,102,196
Post Reply