Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

For discussion of other cellular automata.
Post Reply
AforAmpere
Posts: 1427
Joined: July 1st, 2016, 3:58 pm

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by AforAmpere »

How would I implement this idea? I probably should get on the wiki first, but what from there?
The torch of 5S has been passed on again, and is now managed by speedydelete. It can be found here. Also check out my program EPE, a tool for searching for patterns in various rulespaces.
User avatar
muzik
Posts: 6605
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by muzik »

There'd probably be a central sort of hub page, like "LifeWiki:Smallest Spaceships Supportng Specific Speeds", which would then lead to certain lists. I'm not sure how they should be laid outl but I have two ideas.
Parity Replicator Collection v1.6 is now live - please send all relevant discoveries here.
AforAmpere
Posts: 1427
Joined: July 1st, 2016, 3:58 pm

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by AforAmpere »

Maybe you could start the work on page, because I need to wait until I am added to the "trusted" list. I am not sure of what format a port to the website should be in, however.
The torch of 5S has been passed on again, and is now managed by speedydelete. It can be found here. Also check out my program EPE, a tool for searching for patterns in various rulespaces.
User avatar
toroidalet
Posts: 1514
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 1:48 pm
Location: My computer
Contact:

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by toroidalet »

muzik wrote:What are your opinions on maybe hosting the collection on the wiki, so that it can be updated by anyone?
A suggestion: There's a page that only certain users can edit which contains all the ships, and a peer-review page, where people can submit ships.
8c/10:

Code: Select all

x = 37, y = 32, rule = B2ac5a/S01e
31b2obo3$34bobo$32b5o$29bo$32b5o$34bobo3$31b2obo2$3bo$19bo$3bo14bo8bo$
obobobo11bo8bo$bo3bo13bo$11bo2$31b2obo2$17b2obo$34bobo$32b5o$20bobo6bo
$18b5o9b5o$15bo18bobo$18b5o$20bobo$31b2obo2$17b2obo!
78 cells
Any sufficiently advanced software is indistinguishable from malice.
User avatar
Rhombic
Posts: 1100
Joined: June 1st, 2013, 5:41 pm

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by Rhombic »

Cheeky bookends. (6,1)/78 SWst

Code: Select all

x = 4, y = 3, rule = B35-ajnr6a/S2-i3-kq5i
b3o$o2bo$2o!
Not only that, it's also rule-precise, with this being the only rule in which it works. There are 8 MAP rules in which rotations and reflections of the spaceship work though, because it is not glide symmetric or a rotating oscillator.
Last edited by Rhombic on August 15th, 2017, 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SoL : FreeElectronics : DeadlyEnemies : 6a-ite : Rule X3VI
what is “sesame oil”?
User avatar
muzik
Posts: 6605
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by muzik »

If we're going to be migrating to the wiki, there's two ways we could sort out spaceships:

1. The main hub would list all the known directions. Clicking on one of these directions would give the perfectness of the speed (c/n, 2c/n, 3c/n, etc). Clicking one one of these perfection indicators would then list the spaceship RLEs.

2. The main hub would list all periods. Clicking on one of the periods would list the RLEs of all the smallest ships of each direction/speed combo with said period.

I'll have to bring this subject up at the tiki bar first, though.
Parity Replicator Collection v1.6 is now live - please send all relevant discoveries here.
User avatar
BlinkerSpawn
Posts: 1993
Joined: November 8th, 2014, 8:48 pm
Location: Getting a snacker from R-Bee's

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by BlinkerSpawn »

muzik wrote:If we're going to be migrating to the wiki, there's two ways we could sort out spaceships:

1. The main hub would list all the known directions. Clicking on one of these directions would give the perfectness of the speed (c/n, 2c/n, 3c/n, etc). Clicking one one of these perfection indicators would then list the spaceship RLEs.

2. The main hub would list all periods. Clicking on one of the periods would list the RLEs of all the smallest ships of each direction/speed combo with said period.

I'll have to bring this subject up at the tiki bar first, though.
The period listing appears to be the better choice in my opinion simply because each period's page can simply be a table of displacements looking something like this:

Code: Select all

pN
(X,Y)
(1,0) (1,1)
(2,0) (2,1) (2,2)
(3,0) (3,1) (3,2) (3,3)
(4,0) (4,1) (4,2) (4,3) (4,4)
etc.
LifeWiki: Like Wikipedia but with more spaceships. [citation needed]

Image
AforAmpere
Posts: 1427
Joined: July 1st, 2016, 3:58 pm

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by AforAmpere »

I would agree that period listing is better, because it also allows which ships are missing up to a certain period. For instance, I can look at my list and quickly see that I am missing a 5c/6 orthogonal ship, without having to scroll down for a very long time.
The torch of 5S has been passed on again, and is now managed by speedydelete. It can be found here. Also check out my program EPE, a tool for searching for patterns in various rulespaces.
User avatar
muzik
Posts: 6605
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by muzik »

Another advantage is that pages can be effectively "completed", since there's a limit to the different directions and speeds a period-n ship can travel.
Parity Replicator Collection v1.6 is now live - please send all relevant discoveries here.
AforAmpere
Posts: 1427
Joined: July 1st, 2016, 3:58 pm

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by AforAmpere »

So how do we start this?
The torch of 5S has been passed on again, and is now managed by speedydelete. It can be found here. Also check out my program EPE, a tool for searching for patterns in various rulespaces.
User avatar
muzik
Posts: 6605
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by muzik »

AforAmpere wrote:So how do we start this?
I'll post something on the tiki bar whenever I feel up to doing it, in case anyone has any objections.

Also, I want to know if the wiki has an equivalent to the sort of code tags that optionally display LifeViewer, so I can put the RLEs in these.
Parity Replicator Collection v1.6 is now live - please send all relevant discoveries here.
AforAmpere
Posts: 1427
Joined: July 1st, 2016, 3:58 pm

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by AforAmpere »

I added a test page on my Userpage on the wiki, is this format acceptable? I don't know if you guys could edit it or not. Please give me some feedback, and maybe this project can be transferred there. The testpage.
The torch of 5S has been passed on again, and is now managed by speedydelete. It can be found here. Also check out my program EPE, a tool for searching for patterns in various rulespaces.
User avatar
muzik
Posts: 6605
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by muzik »

I would prefer it if each period was split off into a different page.
Parity Replicator Collection v1.6 is now live - please send all relevant discoveries here.
drc
Posts: 1664
Joined: December 3rd, 2015, 4:11 pm

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by drc »

muzik wrote:I would prefer it if each period was split off into a different page.
I feel like that would kind of be a waste, in my opinion, but hey to each his own.

I don't like cluttering my history, either.

EDIT: Also, having to switch pages would be really annoying. In AforAmpere's mockup,you can easily utilize Ctrl+F.

Maybe we could also have it so there's a way to show or hide viewers? Maybe make it so that the viewer only loads if you hit show so it wouldn't make the page super laggy?
Last edited by drc on August 17th, 2017, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
BlinkerSpawn
Posts: 1993
Joined: November 8th, 2014, 8:48 pm
Location: Getting a snacker from R-Bee's

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by BlinkerSpawn »

AforAmpere wrote:I added a test page on my Userpage on the wiki, is this format acceptable? I don't know if you guys could edit it or not. Please give me some feedback, and maybe this project can be transferred there. The testpage.
That looks like a good start to me but it's a bit awkward to read right now.
Maybe we could set it up similar to Niemiec's object pages, where the ship images are displayed in a grid and an HTML imagemap or whatever allows the user to fetch RLEs.
LifeWiki: Like Wikipedia but with more spaceships. [citation needed]

Image
User avatar
muzik
Posts: 6605
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by muzik »

drc wrote:
muzik wrote:I would prefer it if each period was split off into a different page.
I feel like that would kind of be a waste, in my opinion, but hey to each his own.

I don't like cluttering my history, either.
The page would get really cluttered if every single ship was on the same page, though.

EDIT: should I make a mockup to convey my thoughts on the idea?
Parity Replicator Collection v1.6 is now live - please send all relevant discoveries here.
AforAmpere
Posts: 1427
Joined: July 1st, 2016, 3:58 pm

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by AforAmpere »

BlinkerSpawn wrote: Maybe we could set it up similar to Niemiec's object pages, where the ship images are displayed in a grid and an HTML imagemap or whatever allows the user to fetch RLEs.
Where would this be done? ON a wiki page, or somewhere else? Also, I do think that that format would be nice, but it definitely should be labeled differently than Niemiec's pages.
muzik wrote: I'd prefer it if each period was split off into a different page.
I think that might be too much, maybe 3 or so on each page, just so that the pages are more than three lines.
muzik also wrote: The page would get really cluttered if every single ship was on the same page, though.
We should have them on separate pages, definitely, but probably similar to how Niemiec's website is split into different pages. Lots of stuff on each page.
The torch of 5S has been passed on again, and is now managed by speedydelete. It can be found here. Also check out my program EPE, a tool for searching for patterns in various rulespaces.
wwei23

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by wwei23 »

We can tabulate in the Sandbox, like I did for Oscillators In Near-Life Rules Not Supported In Life.
User avatar
muzik
Posts: 6605
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by muzik »

AforAmpere wrote:
muzik wrote: I'd prefer it if each period was split off into a different page.
I think that might be too much, maybe 3 or so on each page, just so that the pages are more than three lines.
Only the really low periods would have like 3 lines. When we get to the higher periods, they'll probably get a lot longer.
Parity Replicator Collection v1.6 is now live - please send all relevant discoveries here.
User avatar
toroidalet
Posts: 1514
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 1:48 pm
Location: My computer
Contact:

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by toroidalet »

wwei23 wrote:We can tabulate in the Sandbox, like I did for Oscillators In Near-Life Rules Not Supported In Life.
No, that wouldn't work very well. (60k character limit)
13c/37 ship, 36 cells:

Code: Select all

x = 23, y = 16, rule = B3-cky4e6ci8/S23-e
19b3o$2bo15bo3bo$2bo14b2obobo$2o16bo3bo$19b3o7$19b3o$2o16bo3bo$2bo14b
2obobo$2bo15bo3bo$19b3o!
14c/40, 4 cells:

Code: Select all

x = 2, y = 3, rule = B3-cy4e5j6ci8/S23-e
bo$2o$bo!
Any sufficiently advanced software is indistinguishable from malice.
wwei23

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by wwei23 »

Spaceship, anyone? It's a (20,7)c/68(?):

Code: Select all

x = 3, y = 3, rule = B3/S234y
bo$b2o$2o!
User avatar
toroidalet
Posts: 1514
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 1:48 pm
Location: My computer
Contact:

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by toroidalet »

wwei23 wrote:Spaceship, anyone? It's a (20,7)c/68(?):
That won't work very well. It only works between B34e/S234y5e and B3/S234y. All of those rules are explosive. Good luck trying.
Any sufficiently advanced software is indistinguishable from malice.
wwei23

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by wwei23 »

c/7 orthogonal in a rule with too many 2c/4s:

Code: Select all

x = 5, y = 4, rule = B2-a3cinq4nw/S1e
bobo$2bo$o3bo$2bo!
EDIT:
That's a little better:

Code: Select all

x = 4, y = 5, rule = B2-a3cinq4nw/S1e
bo$3bo$obo$3bo$bo!
Also, this rule has 3 very common spaceships, and a fourth reasonably common one.
Oh dear, a fifth ship:

Code: Select all

x = 7, y = 49, rule = B2-a3cinq4nw/S1e
bobo$2bo$o3bo$2bo7$bobo$o3bo2$bobo7$bobo$o3bo2$bobobo$4b2o6$2bobo$bo3b
o2$obobobo$2o3b2o6$bobo$o3bo2$bobo3$bobo$2bo$2bo!
Separation issues:

Code: Select all

x = 7, y = 59, rule = B2-a3cinq4nw/S1e
bobo$2bo$o3bo$2bo7$bobo$o3bo2$bobo7$bobo$o3bo2$bobobo$4b2o6$2bobo$bo3b
o2$obobobo$2o3b2o16$bobo$o3bo2$bobo3$bobo$2bo$2bo!

Code: Select all

x = 7, y = 64, rule = B2-a3cinq4nw/S1e
bobo$o3bo2$bobo7$bobo$o3bo2$bobobo$4b2o6$2bobo$bo3bo2$obobobo$2o3b2o
16$bobo$o3bo2$bobo3$bobo$2bo$2bo12$bobo$2bo$o3bo$2bo!
Last edited by wwei23 on August 19th, 2017, 12:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AforAmpere
Posts: 1427
Joined: July 1st, 2016, 3:58 pm

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by AforAmpere »

We all keep asking you this: Please check the list before posting, I already have a 3-cell example. The forums are not your playground, and the rules for this thread have already been established, so please actually follow them.

Code: Select all

x = 4, y = 1, rule = B2-an3kr4acr5acj6aik7e8/S1e2-ce3aey4akntz5airy6ak7e8
ob2o!
The torch of 5S has been passed on again, and is now managed by speedydelete. It can be found here. Also check out my program EPE, a tool for searching for patterns in various rulespaces.
wwei23

Re: Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds (5s) Project

Post by wwei23 »

I just got the Liszt. All of them. I just thought that 3 cells for c/7 would be inconceivable.
Post Reply