New paper by Andrew Adamatzky on ArXiv:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1306.0253
Game of Life on Phyllosilicates: Gliders, Oscillators and Still Life
"A phyllosilicate is a sheet of silicate tetrahedra bound by basal oxygens. A phyllosilicate automaton is a regular network of finite state machines --- silicon nodes and oxygen nodes --- which mimics structure of the phyllosilicate. A node takes states 0 and 1. Each node updates its state in discrete time depending on a sum of states of its three (silicon) or six (oxygen) neighbours. Phyllosilicate automata exhibit localizations attributed to Conway's Game of Life: gliders, oscillators, still lifes, and a glider gun. Configurations and behaviour of typical localizations, and interactions between the localizations are illustrated."
Game of Life on Phyllosilicates
- Tim Hutton
- Posts: 64
- Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:30 am
- Contact:
Re: Game of Life on Phyllosilicates
Cool concept, but did I skim this right or does the paper not connect their studied CA to actual physicochemical processes in any way…? It's hardly a "phyllosilicate CA" as much as a "CA on phyllosilicate-shaped lattice" this way.
Re: Game of Life on Phyllosilicates
The question of physically instantiating a CA is the interesting part of this paper, but I'm not going to address it, other than to say that I think the CA in the paper is supposed to be an analogy to defects propagating through the physical substrate, and the analogy is enriched by the CA using the same topology. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I would love to see a CA with spaceships physically instantiated!
I'm commenting because my recently posted Tiling Project for Golly provides the tools to emulate the "phillosilicate automata" described in the paper. The phillosillicate lattice is rhombitrihexagonal tiling, with the central hexagons ignored. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhombitrihexagonal_tiling ). On the phillosillicate lattice, silicon has three neighbors, each of them oxygen. Oxygen has six neighbors, four of them are oxygen and two are silicon. Using Rhombitrihexgonal tiling, triangles can stand in for silicon, and squares can stand in for oxygen, as long as we ignore any hexagonal neighbors.
If you haven't taken a look at the Tiling Project in Golly files, the phillosilicate link below might not make as much sense, so it might be best to start here:
Tiling Project for Golly Part 1:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1123
Tiling Project for Golly Part 2:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1124
Here's a link to philosillicate icons, rules, and a rule-generating script, derived from the Tiling Project's rhombitrihexagonal icons, rules, and script. I also included the phillosilicate gun and spaceships from the paper.
Click here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
Select "For Golly 2.4" or "For Golly 2.5", and then download ""Phillosilicate9.zip"
Two more things:
1) There is an unfortunate typo in the paper. Silicon atoms always use the rule B13/S2, not B23/S23 as was stated in section 6 of the paper. I found out the hard way!
2) If you're looking for a Game-of-Life-type rule on an exotic topology (as I was), you might be disappointed. All three rules from the paper explode into static-like chaos.
I'm commenting because my recently posted Tiling Project for Golly provides the tools to emulate the "phillosilicate automata" described in the paper. The phillosillicate lattice is rhombitrihexagonal tiling, with the central hexagons ignored. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhombitrihexagonal_tiling ). On the phillosillicate lattice, silicon has three neighbors, each of them oxygen. Oxygen has six neighbors, four of them are oxygen and two are silicon. Using Rhombitrihexgonal tiling, triangles can stand in for silicon, and squares can stand in for oxygen, as long as we ignore any hexagonal neighbors.
If you haven't taken a look at the Tiling Project in Golly files, the phillosilicate link below might not make as much sense, so it might be best to start here:
Tiling Project for Golly Part 1:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1123
Tiling Project for Golly Part 2:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1124
Here's a link to philosillicate icons, rules, and a rule-generating script, derived from the Tiling Project's rhombitrihexagonal icons, rules, and script. I also included the phillosilicate gun and spaceships from the paper.
Click here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
Select "For Golly 2.4" or "For Golly 2.5", and then download ""Phillosilicate9.zip"
Two more things:
1) There is an unfortunate typo in the paper. Silicon atoms always use the rule B13/S2, not B23/S23 as was stated in section 6 of the paper. I found out the hard way!
2) If you're looking for a Game-of-Life-type rule on an exotic topology (as I was), you might be disappointed. All three rules from the paper explode into static-like chaos.