LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

For discussion directly related to LifeWiki.
Post Reply
User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 12034
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by dvgrn »

Ian07 wrote:Just made a wiki account, could I please have edit permissions? Username is Ian07.
Done!
User avatar
BZH314
Posts: 16
Joined: August 26th, 2018, 6:05 am
Contact:

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by BZH314 »

May user BZH314 please get the "trusted" flag?
Thanks
User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 12034
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by dvgrn »

BZH314 wrote:May user BZH314 please get the "trusted" flag?
Done by your friendly neighborhood moderator dvgrn, who also refers to himself in the third person.
User avatar
BZH314
Posts: 16
Joined: August 26th, 2018, 6:05 am
Contact:

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by BZH314 »

dvgrn wrote:
BZH314 wrote:May user BZH314 please get the "trusted" flag?
Done by your friendly neighborhood moderator dvgrn, who also refers to himself in the third person.
Haha, thanks friendly neighbor.
Maybe dvgrn wouldn't want to be confused with Dvgrn either?
User avatar
77topaz
Posts: 1496
Joined: January 12th, 2018, 9:19 pm

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by 77topaz »

BZH314 wrote:Haha, thanks friendly neighbor.
Maybe dvgrn wouldn't want to be confused with Dvgrn either?
Or with dvrgn. ;)
SHOW_ME_7
Posts: 1
Joined: November 3rd, 2018, 7:58 pm

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by SHOW_ME_7 »

Trusted mode please! :D I wish to diversify content on the "Polyonimoes" Page on the wiki.
User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 12034
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by dvgrn »

SHOW_ME_7 wrote:Trusted mode please! :D I wish to diversify content on the "Polyonimoes" Page on the wiki.
Done!
User avatar
Random life lover
Posts: 6
Joined: November 3rd, 2018, 10:21 pm
Location: Taipei, Taiwan

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by Random life lover »

Please trust me! I have being on lifewiki for a long time but never contributed it.

But I think I found a methuselah that is not listed on it,that's why I am registering.

x = 10, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
$7bo$2bo4b2o$2b2o3bo$3bo!

Please check for a bit
“All theory is gray, my friend. But forever green is the tree of life." -- Goethe in Faust
User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 12034
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by dvgrn »

Random life lover wrote:Please trust me! I have being on lifewiki for a long time but never contributed it.
Done!
Random life lover wrote:But I think I found a methuselah that is not listed on it,that's why I am registering...
Unfortunately if you tried to add that to the list of long-lived methuselahs, someone would have to remove it again. It's 7x4, so has a taller bounding box by one cell than rabbits and relatives, which last ten times as long... and the same initial population as acorn, which is also 7x3 and lasts more than twice as long as this one.

If we tried to list all the methuselahs that were more or less as good as that one, we'd have thousands (at least) of non-record-breaking methuselahs to document.
User avatar
Random life lover
Posts: 6
Joined: November 3rd, 2018, 10:21 pm
Location: Taipei, Taiwan

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by Random life lover »

dvgrn wrote:
Random life lover wrote:Please trust me! I have being on lifewiki for a long time but never contributed it.
Done!
Random life lover wrote:But I think I found a methuselah that is not listed on it,that's why I am registering...
Unfortunately if you tried to add that to the list of long-lived methuselahs, someone would have to remove it again. It's 7x4, so has a taller bounding box by one cell than rabbits and relatives, which last ten times as long... and the same initial population as acorn, which is also 7x3 and lasts more than twice as long as this one.

If we tried to list all the methuselahs that were more or less as good as that one, we'd have thousands (at least) of non-record-breaking methuselahs to document.
Well,I’ll try find something better in the future.
“All theory is gray, my friend. But forever green is the tree of life." -- Goethe in Faust
User avatar
Apple Bottom
Posts: 1034
Joined: July 27th, 2015, 2:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by Apple Bottom »

Random life lover wrote:Well,I’ll try find something better in the future.
As a general rule of thumb, BTW, entirely new discoveries are best posted to the forums first so that others can chime in on how noteworthy they are.

Very interesting patterns may have LifeWiki articles written quickly by others --- may,mind, it's far from guaranteed. If the consensus is that the pattern is cool / interesting / useful, and no one else steps up to write an article on it, you can still do it yourself, but please share the pattern here first. It's easy to get excited when finding something new and overestimate its significance.
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Catagolue: Apple Bottom • Life Wiki: Apple Bottom • Twitter: @_AppleBottom_

Proud member of the Pattern Raiders!
AlexanderVB
Posts: 3
Joined: November 5th, 2018, 8:12 am

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by AlexanderVB »

I would like to request a "trusted" flag, please. I'm trying to improve the page contents of various methuselahs in the wiki.

Thanks for reading! :)
User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 12034
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by dvgrn »

AlexanderVB wrote:I would like to request a "trusted" flag, please. I'm trying to improve the page contents of various methuselahs in the wiki.
Done!
AlexanderVB
Posts: 3
Joined: November 5th, 2018, 8:12 am

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by AlexanderVB »

dvgrn wrote:
AlexanderVB wrote:I would like to request a "trusted" flag, please. I'm trying to improve the page contents of various methuselahs in the wiki.
Done!
Thank you!
REDsEngineer
Posts: 13
Joined: November 6th, 2018, 7:12 pm

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by REDsEngineer »

Can I please get the trusted flag? I would like to add a few life types that I discovered while fooling around with a faulty version of Conway's Game of Life on the TI-84 Plus calculator to http://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/List_of_ ... r_automata. My username is "REDsEngineer".

Edit: Also I can't create my own talk page
User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 12034
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by dvgrn »

REDsEngineer wrote:Can I please get the trusted flag? I would like to add a few life types that I discovered while fooling around with a faulty version of Conway's Game of Life on the TI-84 Plus calculator to http://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/List_of_ ... r_automata. My username is "REDsEngineer".
Done! Are these "life types" new rules, not new patterns? In either case, a recent reminder seems likely to be relevant:
Apple Bottom wrote:As a general rule of thumb, BTW, entirely new discoveries are best posted to the forums first so that others can chime in on how noteworthy they are.
The dreaded word "notable" appears on the page you pointed to. We can't name all of the Life-like rules, let alone all the isotropic non-totalistic rules. If we did that, then nobody would be able to find the most interesting or "notable" rules in the resulting ridiculously long list of mostly mediocre rules.

That said, a forum thread advertising a previously unexplored rule, if it gets any significant amount of traffic, is pretty much all that's needed to change a rule from non-notable to notable.
REDsEngineer
Posts: 13
Joined: November 6th, 2018, 7:12 pm

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by REDsEngineer »

dvgrn wrote:
REDsEngineer wrote:Can I please get the trusted flag? I would like to add a few life types that I discovered while fooling around with a faulty version of Conway's Game of Life on the TI-84 Plus calculator to http://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/List_of_ ... r_automata. My username is "REDsEngineer".
Done! Are these "life types" new rules, not new patterns? In either case, a recent reminder seems likely to be relevant:
Apple Bottom wrote:As a general rule of thumb, BTW, entirely new discoveries are best posted to the forums first so that others can chime in on how noteworthy they are.
The dreaded word "notable" appears on the page you pointed to. We can't name all of the Life-like rules, let alone all the isotropic non-totalistic rules. If we did that, then nobody would be able to find the most interesting or "notable" rules in the resulting ridiculously long list of mostly mediocre rules.

That said, a forum thread advertising a previously unexplored rule, if it gets any significant amount of traffic, is pretty much all that's needed to change a rule from non-notable to notable.
They're new cellular automata, and I don't know what rules they would have. They are: Segmentations, Shine, Glint, Runes, Growing Crystallizations, and Target. They're all named after the way the Blinker (Conway's Game of Life) evolves in them. I've made a forum page for them (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3587) and I will add Shine, Glint, Runes, Growing Crystallizations, and Target when I find my TI-84 Plus.
P.S. The Segmentations gif was recorded using an emulator that I saved it on
P.P.S. I did not mention the cellular automata that go nowhere from the Blinker
REDsEngineer
Posts: 13
Joined: November 6th, 2018, 7:12 pm

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by REDsEngineer »

REDsEngineer wrote:
dvgrn wrote:
REDsEngineer wrote:Can I please get the trusted flag? I would like to add a few life types that I discovered while fooling around with a faulty version of Conway's Game of Life on the TI-84 Plus calculator to http://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/List_of_ ... r_automata. My username is "REDsEngineer".
Done! Are these "life types" new rules, not new patterns? In either case, a recent reminder seems likely to be relevant:
Apple Bottom wrote:As a general rule of thumb, BTW, entirely new discoveries are best posted to the forums first so that others can chime in on how noteworthy they are.
The dreaded word "notable" appears on the page you pointed to. We can't name all of the Life-like rules, let alone all the isotropic non-totalistic rules. If we did that, then nobody would be able to find the most interesting or "notable" rules in the resulting ridiculously long list of mostly mediocre rules.

That said, a forum thread advertising a previously unexplored rule, if it gets any significant amount of traffic, is pretty much all that's needed to change a rule from non-notable to notable.
They're new cellular automata, and I don't know what rules they would have. They are: Segmentations, Shine, Glint, Runes, Growing Crystallizations, and Target. They're all named after the way the Blinker (Conway's Game of Life) evolves in them. I've made a forum page for them (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3587) and I will add Shine, Glint, Runes, Growing Crystallizations, and Target when I find my TI-84 Plus.
P.S. The Segmentations gif was recorded using an emulator that I saved it on
P.P.S. I did not mention the cellular automata that go nowhere from the Blinker
I updated it. More gifs coming soon.
User avatar
EvinZL
Posts: 1072
Joined: November 8th, 2018, 4:15 pm
Location: here

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by EvinZL »

If you only need to know who invented the Game of Life, someone can use a bot to fill in the answer on the page. I think you could add another question related to the Game of Life that changes every time, and that most people registering should know.
dani
Posts: 1221
Joined: October 27th, 2017, 3:43 pm

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by dani »

EvinZL wrote:If you only need to know who invented the Game of Life, someone can use a bot to fill in the answer on the page. I think you could add another question related to the Game of Life that changes every time, and that most people registering should know.
Unrelated, but *PLEASE* get rid of your signature, or don't add a viewer tag. Thank you.
User avatar
EvinZL
Posts: 1072
Joined: November 8th, 2018, 4:15 pm
Location: here

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by EvinZL »

May I request trusted flag for Evin?
User avatar
Ian07
Moderator
Posts: 899
Joined: September 22nd, 2018, 8:48 am
Location: Pennsylvania, US

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by Ian07 »

EvinZL wrote:May I request trusted flag for Evin?
Like danny said, PLEASE PLEASE make your signature smaller. If you replace the viewer tag with a code tag, you can still get the option to "show in viewer" but it won't take up as much space:

Code: Select all

x=13, y=5, rule=B3/S23
bbbbbooobbbbb$boobbobboboob$obobbobbbbobo$bbobbobbbbobb$bbbbbbobobbbb!
Wiki: http://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/User:Ian07
Discord: lan07 (yes, that's a lowercase L)

xs24_69bobjob96
User avatar
EvinZL
Posts: 1072
Joined: November 8th, 2018, 4:15 pm
Location: here

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by EvinZL »

May I request trusted flag for Evin?
User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
Posts: 12034
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by dvgrn »

EvinZL wrote:May I request trusted flag for Evin?
Done. But remember, with great power comes great responsibility.
cyclotron
Posts: 5
Joined: November 29th, 2018, 4:10 pm

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by cyclotron »

Hello there,

May I request trust flag for cyclotron?
I would like to add patterns to illustrate a post on collisions between gliders.

B.
109472 < x < 1092318
Post Reply