123458/45678/256 rule

For discussion of other cellular automata.
Post Reply
alan2here
Posts: 20
Joined: October 5th, 2010, 4:51 pm

123458/45678/256 rule

Post by alan2here »

123458/45678/256, run at 256 steps per frame. 8^3 works well in Golly. Has some unusual properties.
p46beth
Posts: 345
Joined: June 18th, 2010, 8:18 pm

Re: 123458/45678/256 rule

Post by p46beth »

So far I havn't found anything unusual that doesn't already exist in rules with only 2 or 3 states. The problem with generations rules is that very high numbers of states rarely increases the complexity, but usually increases the processing power required to run smoothly.
User avatar
Extrementhusiast
Posts: 1970
Joined: June 16th, 2009, 11:24 pm
Location: USA

Re: 123458/45678/256 rule

Post by Extrementhusiast »

137ben wrote:So far I havn't found anything unusual that doesn't already exist in rules with only 2 or 3 states.
If you expand to four states (California, Idaho, Iowa, and Nebraska (no, no, not THOSE states! (How about Maine, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, and Virginia? (No, no, not those TYPE of states! (Okay, okay, sheesh! (Okay, this big parenthetical allusion is getting off topic, but I digress.)))))), there are some interesting diamonds in this particular rule that I myself have chosen:

Code: Select all

x = 82, y = 81, rule = 4567/245678/4
40.AC$39.B.B$39.2C2A$38.2B.B2.B$37.2A2C2A2C$35.B2.2B.B2.2B$35.2C2A2C
2A2C2A$34.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.B$33.2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C$31.B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B$
31.2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A$30.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.B$29.2A2C2A2C2A2C2A
2C2A2C2A2C$27.B2.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B$27.2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A
2C2A$26.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.B$25.2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A
2C2A2C$23.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B$23.2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A
2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A$22.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.B$21.2A2C2A
2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C$19.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B
2.2B2.2B2.2B$19.2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A$18.2B2.
2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.B$17.2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A
2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C$15.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B
2.2B2.2B2.2B$15.2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A$
14.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.B$13.2A2C2A
2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C$11.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.
2B2.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B$11.2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A
2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A$10.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.
2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.B$9.2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A
2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C$7.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.
2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B$7.2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C
2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A$6.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.
2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.B$5.2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A
2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C$3.B2.2B2.2B2.
2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B$3.2C
2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C
2A2C2A$2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B
2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.B$C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C
2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2CA$2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.
2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.B$3.2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C
2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A$3.B2.2B2.
2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B$
5.2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A
2C2A2C$6.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B
2.2B2.2B2.B$7.2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C
2A2C2A2C2A2C2A$7.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B
2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B$9.2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A
2C2A2C2A2C2A2C$10.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.
2B2.2B2.2B2.B$11.2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A
2C2A2C2A$11.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.
2B$13.2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C$14.2B
2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.B$15.2C2A2C2A2C2A
2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A$15.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B
.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B$17.2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A
2C2A2C2A2C$18.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.B$19.2C2A
2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A$19.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.
2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B$21.2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C$22.2B
2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.B$23.2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A
2C2A2C2A$23.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B$25.2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A
2C2A2C2A2C2A2C$26.2B2.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B2.B$27.2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A
2C2A2C2A2C2A$27.B2.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.2B$29.2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A
2C$30.2B2.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.2B2.B$31.2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C2A$31.B2.2B2.2B.B
2.2B2.2B$33.2A2C2A2C2A2C2A2C$34.2B2.2B.B2.2B2.B$35.2C2A2C2A2C2A$35.B
2.2B.B2.2B$37.2A2C2A2C$38.2B.B2.B$39.2C2A$39.B.B$40.AC!
It's p4 and can be extensible.

On another note (D# (ENOUGH WITH THE PARENTHETICAL ALLUSIONS ALREADY! (Okay, okay, sheesh! (I myself often say that. ("That". (No, don't take it literally! (Then how should I take it? As a Christmas present? (Just take it figuratively, not literally or as a Christmas present! (Okay, okay, sheesh!)))))))), this makes for a pretty nice loading screen:

Code: Select all

x = 2, y = 524, rule = /2/256
2yO$2yN$2yM$2yL$2yK$2yJ$2yI$2yH$2yG$2yF$2yE$2yD$2yC$2yB$2yA$2xX$2xW$
2xV$2xU$2xT$2xS$2xR$2xQ$2xP$2xO$2xN$2xM$2xL$2xK$2xJ$2xI$2xH$2xG$2xF$
2xE$2xD$2xC$2xB$2xA$2wX$2wW$2wV$2wU$2wT$2wS$2wR$2wQ$2wP$2wO$2wN$2wM$
2wL$2wK$2wJ$2wI$2wH$2wG$2wF$2wE$2wD$2wC$2wB$2wA$2vX$2vW$2vV$2vU$2vT$
2vS$2vR$2vQ$2vP$2vO$2vN$2vM$2vL$2vK$2vJ$2vI$2vH$2vG$2vF$2vE$2vD$2vC$
2vB$2vA$2uX$2uW$2uV$2uU$2uT$2uS$2uR$2uQ$2uP$2uO$2uN$2uM$2uL$2uK$2uJ$
2uI$2uH$2uG$2uF$2uE$2uD$2uC$2uB$2uA$2tX$2tW$2tV$2tU$2tT$2tS$2tR$2tQ$
2tP$2tO$2tN$2tM$2tL$2tK$2tJ$2tI$2tH$2tG$2tF$2tE$2tD$2tC$2tB$2tA$2sX$
2sW$2sV$2sU$2sT$2sS$2sR$2sQ$2sP$2sO$2sN$2sM$2sL$2sK$2sJ$2sI$2sH$2sG$
2sF$2sE$2sD$2sC$2sB$2sA$2rX$2rW$2rV$2rU$2rT$2rS$2rR$2rQ$2rP$2rO$2rN$
2rM$2rL$2rK$2rJ$2rI$2rH$2rG$2rF$2rE$2rD$2rC$2rB$2rA$2qX$2qW$2qV$2qU$
2qT$2qS$2qR$2qQ$2qP$2qO$2qN$2qM$2qL$2qK$2qJ$2qI$2qH$2qG$2qF$2qE$2qD$
2qC$2qB$2qA$2pX$2pW$2pV$2pU$2pT$2pS$2pR$2pQ$2pP$2pO$2pN$2pM$2pL$2pK$
2pJ$2pI$2pH$2pG$2pF$2pE$2pD$2pC$2pB$2pA$2X$2W$2V$2U$2T$2S$2R$2Q$2P$2O
$2N$2M$2L$2K$2J$2I$2H$2G$2F$2E$2D$2C$2B$2A15$2A$2B$2C$2D$2E$2F$2G$2H$
2I$2J$2K$2L$2M$2N$2O$2P$2Q$2R$2S$2T$2U$2V$2W$2X$2pA$2pB$2pC$2pD$2pE$
2pF$2pG$2pH$2pI$2pJ$2pK$2pL$2pM$2pN$2pO$2pP$2pQ$2pR$2pS$2pT$2pU$2pV$
2pW$2pX$2qA$2qB$2qC$2qD$2qE$2qF$2qG$2qH$2qI$2qJ$2qK$2qL$2qM$2qN$2qO$
2qP$2qQ$2qR$2qS$2qT$2qU$2qV$2qW$2qX$2rA$2rB$2rC$2rD$2rE$2rF$2rG$2rH$
2rI$2rJ$2rK$2rL$2rM$2rN$2rO$2rP$2rQ$2rR$2rS$2rT$2rU$2rV$2rW$2rX$2sA$
2sB$2sC$2sD$2sE$2sF$2sG$2sH$2sI$2sJ$2sK$2sL$2sM$2sN$2sO$2sP$2sQ$2sR$
2sS$2sT$2sU$2sV$2sW$2sX$2tA$2tB$2tC$2tD$2tE$2tF$2tG$2tH$2tI$2tJ$2tK$
2tL$2tM$2tN$2tO$2tP$2tQ$2tR$2tS$2tT$2tU$2tV$2tW$2tX$2uA$2uB$2uC$2uD$
2uE$2uF$2uG$2uH$2uI$2uJ$2uK$2uL$2uM$2uN$2uO$2uP$2uQ$2uR$2uS$2uT$2uU$
2uV$2uW$2uX$2vA$2vB$2vC$2vD$2vE$2vF$2vG$2vH$2vI$2vJ$2vK$2vL$2vM$2vN$
2vO$2vP$2vQ$2vR$2vS$2vT$2vU$2vV$2vW$2vX$2wA$2wB$2wC$2wD$2wE$2wF$2wG$
2wH$2wI$2wJ$2wK$2wL$2wM$2wN$2wO$2wP$2wQ$2wR$2wS$2wT$2wU$2wV$2wW$2wX$
2xA$2xB$2xC$2xD$2xE$2xF$2xG$2xH$2xI$2xJ$2xK$2xL$2xM$2xN$2xO$2xP$2xQ$
2xR$2xS$2xT$2xU$2xV$2xW$2xX$2yA$2yB$2yC$2yD$2yE$2yF$2yG$2yH$2yI$2yJ$
2yK$2yL$2yM$2yN$2yO!
It looks best on Mirek's Java Cellebration, under Standard color settings.
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)
Keiji
Posts: 58
Joined: May 11th, 2010, 5:32 pm

Re: 123458/45678/256 rule

Post by Keiji »

....You know, those jokes in stacks of nested brackets are really not funny or necessary at all.

Especially when they take up the vast majority of your post excluding the code tags. And just make it rather unreadable.
Image
This is why signature character limits are pointless.
p46beth
Posts: 345
Joined: June 18th, 2010, 8:18 pm

Re: 123458/45678/256 rule

Post by p46beth »

Code: Select all

If you expand to four states
Yes, I was referring to extremely high numbers of states (such as the 256 state rule given). I know that four state rules are often more intricate than their 2-state counterparts.
User avatar
apg
Moderator
Posts: 3007
Joined: June 1st, 2009, 4:32 pm

Re: 123458/45678/256 rule

Post by apg »

On another note (D# (ENOUGH WITH THE PARENTHETICAL ALLUSIONS ALREADY! (Okay, okay, sheesh! (I myself often say that. ("That". (No, don't take it literally! (Then how should I take it? As a Christmas present? (Just take it figuratively, not literally or as a Christmas present! (Okay, okay, sheesh!)))))))), this makes for a pretty nice loading screen:
That was 9 opening parentheses, but only 8 closing parentheses.

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!
User avatar
Extrementhusiast
Posts: 1970
Joined: June 16th, 2009, 11:24 pm
Location: USA

Re: 123458/45678/256 rule

Post by Extrementhusiast »

@Keiji: Sorry about that, but I just like parenthesis. It might be my favorite punctuation mark.
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)
p46beth
Posts: 345
Joined: June 18th, 2010, 8:18 pm

Re: 123458/45678/256 rule

Post by p46beth »

calcyman wrote:
On another note (D# (ENOUGH WITH THE PARENTHETICAL ALLUSIONS ALREADY! (Okay, okay, sheesh! (I myself often say that. ("That". (No, don't take it literally! (Then how should I take it? As a Christmas present? (Just take it figuratively, not literally or as a Christmas present! (Okay, okay, sheesh!)))))))), this makes for a pretty nice loading screen:
That was 9 opening parentheses, but only 8 closing parentheses.

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)
Oh NOEZ!!!


Anyways, the 2-state version of this rule functions a lot like walled cities, the only difference being the addition of S1 and S8.
alan2here
Posts: 20
Joined: October 5th, 2010, 4:51 pm

Re: 123458/45678/256 rule

Post by alan2here »

I'm really refering to the longlife like fighting that can be viewed at cirtain speeds, like 8^3.
Post Reply