Synthesising Oscillators

For discussion of specific patterns or specific families of patterns in Conway's Game of Life, both newly-discovered and well-known.
BobShemyakin
Posts: 214
Joined: June 15th, 2014, 6:24 am

Re: Synthesising Oscillators

Post by BobShemyakin »

Extrementhusiast wrote:
BlinkerSpawn wrote:I'm laughing inside.

Code: Select all

RLE
Same here, as I had solved all three minimal variants soon after the original oscillator showed up, but apparently forgot to post them:

Code: Select all

x = 338, y = 170, rule = B3/S23
17bobo$11bobo4b2o$12b2o4bo$bo10bo$2bo$3o$15bo$16bo10bo$14b3o9bo$26b3o
4b2o$33bobo68bo$33bo71bo88bo$103b3o86bobo$57b2o19b2o35b2o22b2o25b2o25b
2o15b2o29b2o41b2o$50bobo5bo20bo36bo23bo26bo43bo30bo42bo$46b3o2b2o5bob
2o13b2o2bob2o16bo4b3o5b2o2bob2o20bob2o13bo9bob2o40bob2o27bob2o5bo33bob
2o$8bobo37bo2bo3b2obo2bo13bobobo2bo17b2o4bo5bobobo2bo17b2obo2bo14bo5b
2obo2bo31bo5b2obo2bo24b2obo2bo5bobo2bo25b2obo2bo$8b2o37bo7b2obobo15b2o
bobo4bo12b2o4bo8bobobo19bobobo13b3o4bobobobo26b3obobo6bobobo24bobobobo
6b2o2b2o24bobobo$9bo18bo22b2o6bo20bo5bobo24b2ob2o13bo4bobob2o21bobob2o
29bo2b2o6bob2o7bobo14bo2bob2o11bobo22bo2bo2bo$27b2o21bobo33b2o41bobo4b
2o26bo32bo10b2o10b2o15b2obo39b2obo$10b2o5b2o8bobo22bo77b2o77bo11bo18bo
42bo$11b2o5b2o119b2o25b2o41bobo28bobob2o37bobo$10bo6bo114b3o5bo26bo42b
2o29b2obobo5bo31b2o$80b2o33b2o17bo5bobo19b2o3bobo64bobo8bo5b2o$80bobo
33b2o15bo7b2o18b2o5b2o65b2o14bobo$80bo34bo3b2o37b2o3bo53b2o16bo$19b2o
55b3o40bobo35bobo14b2o41bobo$18b2o58bo40bo39bo13b2o34b2o6bo47bo$20bo
56bo97bo32bobo37b2o14b2o$210bo36b2o15bobo$160b2o8b3o39b3o24bo9bo$161b
2o7bo41bo26b2o$160bo10bo35bo5bo24bobo$207b2o$206bobo40bo$248b2o$248bob
o30$17bobo$11bobo4b2o$12b2o4bo$bo10bo$2bo$3o159bo$15bo145bo$16bo10bo
133b3o$14b3o9bo$26b3o4b2o111bobo$33bobo68bo42b2o$33bo71bo41bo$103b3o$
57b2o19b2o35b2o44b2o44b2o34b2o37b2o$50bobo5bo20bo36bo45bo45bo35bo38bo$
46b3o2b2o5bob2o13b2o2bob2o16bo4b3o5b2o2bob2o42bob2o42bob2o32bob2o5bo
29bob2o$8bobo37bo2bo3b2obo2bo13bobobo2bo17b2o4bo5bobobo2bo39b2obo2bo
39b2obo2bo29b2obo2bo5bobo2bo21b2obo2bo$8b2o37bo7b2obobo15b2obobo4bo12b
2o4bo8bobobo41bobobo39bobobobo29bobobobo6b2o2b2o20bobobo$9bo18bo22b2o
6bo20bo5bobo24b2ob2o40bobob2o40bobob2o7bobo20bobob2o11bobo19bobo2bo$
27b2o21bobo33b2o70b2o43b2obo10b2o20b2obo35b2obo$10b2o5b2o8bobo22bo153b
o11bo23bo38bo$11b2o5b2o141b2o43bobo33bobob2o33bobo$10bo6bo144bo44b2o
34b2obobo5bo27b2o$80b2o33b2o45bobo71bobo8bo5b2o$80bobo33b2o45b2o72b2o
14bobo$80bo34bo3b2o93b2o21bo$19b2o55b3o40bobo28b3o61bobo$18b2o58bo40bo
32bo53b2o6bo52bo$20bo56bo73bo53bobo42b2o14b2o$207bo41b2o15bobo$147b2o
3b2o20bo34b3o29bo9bo$146bobo2b2o20b2o34bo31b2o$148bo4bo19bobo28bo5bo
29bobo$204b2o$170b2o31bobo45bo$140bo29bobo77b2o$140b2o28bo79bobo$139bo
bo29$17bobo$11bobo4b2o$12b2o4bo$bo10bo$2bo$3o159bo$15bo145bo$16bo10bo
133b3o$14b3o9bo$26b3o4b2o111bobo$33bobo68bo42b2o47bo3bo$33bo71bo41bo
46bobo3bobo$103b3o89b2o3b2o$57b2o19b2o35b2o44b2o44b2o34b2o28b2o19b2o
37b2o$50bobo5bo20bo36bo45bo35b3o7bo28bo6bo29bo20bo38bo$46b3o2b2o5bob2o
13b2o2bob2o16bo4b3o5b2o2bob2o42bob2o34bo7bob2o23bobo6bob2o26bob2o17bob
2o5bo29bob2o$8bobo37bo2bo3b2obo2bo13bobobo2bo17b2o4bo5bobobo2bo39b2obo
2bo33bo5b2obo2bo24b2o3b2obo2bo12bo10b2obo2bo14b2obo2bo5bobo2bo21b2obo
2bo$8b2o37bo7b2obobo15b2obobo4bo12b2o4bo8bobobo41bobobo39bobobobo29bob
obobo14b2o9bobobo16bobobo6b2o2b2o22bobo$9bo18bo22b2o6bo20bo5bobo24b2ob
2o40bobob2o40bobob2o7bobo13b3o4bobob2o14b2o2b2o3bo2bob2o14bo2bob2o11bo
bo18bo2bo2bo$27b2o21bobo33b2o70b2o43b2obo10b2o16bo2bobobo20bobo2bobobo
16bobobo34bobobo$10b2o5b2o8bobo22bo153bo11bo15bo3b2o2bo22bo2b2o2bo17bo
2bo35bo2bo$11b2o5b2o141b2o43bobo33bobob2o24bobob2o15bobob2o33bobo$10bo
6bo144bo44b2o34b2obobo24b2obobo15b2obobo5bo27b2o$80b2o33b2o45bobo82bo
29bo9bobo8bo5b2o$80bobo33b2o45b2o123b2o14bobo$80bo34bo3b2o93b2o72bo$
19b2o55b3o40bobo28b3o61bobo$18b2o58bo40bo32bo53b2o6bo103bo$20bo56bo73b
o53bobo93b2o14b2o$207bo92b2o15bobo$147b2o3b2o20bo34b3o80bo9bo$146bobo
2b2o20b2o34bo82b2o$148bo4bo19bobo28bo5bo80bobo$204b2o$170b2o31bobo96bo
$140bo29bobo128b2o$140b2o28bo130bobo$139bobo!
Synthesis of all 3 oscillators can be reduced from 5 gliders. The first step:

Code: Select all

x = 73, y = 22, rule = B3/S23
38b2o28b2o$39bo29bo$39bob2o26bob2o$36b2obo2bo23b2obo2bo$obo33b2obobo
24b2obobo$b2o37bo29bo$bo2$11bo$11bobo24bo$11b2o24bobo$37b2o3$15b3o20b
2o$15bo23b2o3bo$16bo21bo4bobo$43b2o2$6b2o38b3o$7b2o37bo$6bo40bo!
Synthesis of 2-nd oscillator can be reduced to 32 gliders, using a mniemiec's mechanism of optimized primary steps:

Code: Select all

x = 288, y = 54, rule = B3/S23
243bo$241bobo$242b2o$136bo$83b2o18b2o18b2o12bo5b2o18b2o28b2o28b2o28b2o
28b2o$84bo19bo19bo10b3o6bo8bo10bo29bo29bo29bo29bo$63b2o19bobo17bobo17b
obo17bobo5bo11bob2o26bob2o26bob2o26bob2o26bob2o$64b2o19b2o18b2o13b2o3b
2o5b3o5b2o3b2o5b3o4bob2ob2obo21bob2ob2obo21bob2obo2bo21bob2obo2bo23b2o
bo2bo$63bo3b2o51bobo11bo5bobo16b2obo26b2obo26b2obo2b2o22b2obo2b2o21bob
obo2b2o$67bobo28b3o21bo10bo8bo6b3o10bo29bo29bo29bo25b2o2bo$67bo32bo21b
2o18b2o5bo12b2o28b2o28b2o15bo12b2o28b2o$99bo50bo48bo40b2o$103b2o93b2o
39b2o$99bo2b2o94bobo$99b2o3bo141b2o$98bobo140b3ob2o$196b3o44bo3bo$198b
o43bo$104b2o91bo$104bobo92b3o$104bo94bo$200bo9$o$b2o$2o2$13b2o28b2o28b
2o28b2o28b2o28b2o28b2o28b2o28b2o28b2o$14bo29bo29bo29bo29bo29bo29bo29bo
29bo29bo$14bob2o26bob2o26bob2o26bob2o26bob2o26bob2o26bob2o26bob2o26bob
2o3bobo20bob2o$11b2obo2bo23b2obo2bo23b2obo2bo23b2obo2bo23b2obo2bo23b2o
bo2bo23b2obo2bo23b2obo2bo23b2obo2bo3b2o18b2obo2bo$8bobobo2b2o23bobo2b
2o23bobo2b2o23bobo2b2o23bobo2b2o23bobo2b2o23bobo2b2o23bobo2b2o23bobo2b
2o5bo17bobobo$8b2o2bo27bobo27bobo27bobo27bobo27bobo27bobo27bobo27bobo
27bobo2bo$12b2o25b2ob2o25b2ob2o25b2ob2o25b2ob2o25b2ob2o25b2ob2o25b2ob
2o25b2ob2o5bo19b2obo$107b2o28b2o23bo29bo29bo29bo5b2o22bo$77bobo26bo2bo
12b2o12bo2bo22bobo27bobo27bobo27bobo3bobo21bobo$4bobo70b2o18b2o7bo2bo
13b2o2b2o7bo2bo23b2o28b2o28b2o28b2o28b2o$5b2o59bobo9bo17bo2bo7b2o13bo
3bo2bo2b2o3b2o$5bo61b2o27bo2bo26bo2bob2o$67bo10b2o17b2o28b2o4bo4bo$5b
3o70bobo56b2o29bo29bo$7bo58b2o10bo52b2o4bobo27bobo27bobo$6bo58bobo62bo
bo34bobo27bobo$67bo64bo35bo29bo$2b3o195b2o$4bo195bobo$3bo196bo!
Bob Shemyakin
chris_c
Posts: 966
Joined: June 28th, 2014, 7:15 am

Re: Synthesising Oscillators

Post by chris_c »

BobShemyakin wrote: Synthesis of all 3 oscillators can be reduced from 5 gliders. The first step:

Code: Select all

x = 73, y = 22, rule = B3/S23
38b2o28b2o$39bo29bo$39bob2o26bob2o$36b2obo2bo23b2obo2bo$obo33b2obobo
24b2obobo$b2o37bo29bo$bo2$11bo$11bobo24bo$11b2o24bobo$37b2o3$15b3o20b
2o$15bo23b2o3bo$16bo21bo4bobo$43b2o2$6b2o38b3o$7b2o37bo$6bo40bo!
You can save another glider there:

Code: Select all

x = 32, y = 35, rule = B3/S23
18bobo$19b2o$19bo2$25bo$25bobo$25b2o2b3o$29bo$30bo3$24b2o$25b2o$24bo
19$b2o$obo$2bo!
mniemiec
Posts: 1590
Joined: June 1st, 2013, 12:00 am

Re: Synthesising Oscillators

Post by mniemiec »

BobShemyakin wrote:Synthesis of 2-nd oscillator can be reduced to 32 gliders, using a mniemiec's mechanism of optimized primary steps: ...
Thanks. The base still-life synthesis was originally by David Buckingham. In my attempt to synthesize this oscillator, I built it backwards to the first predecessor I knew, and missed that the intermediate still-life already had a cheaper synthesis.
Extrementhusiast wrote:In other news, a one-sided three-glider method of putting a beehive on a domino: ...
I found 187 syntheses that this method improves (the aesthetics at least, if not the glider count).
I found only 2 that it doesn't work for, and the older method is still needed:

Code: Select all

x = 79, y = 25, rule = B3/S23
55boo$5boo47bobobboo$boobbobo48bobbobo$obobbo53bo$bbo8$73boo$27boo43bo
bbo$26bobbo43boo$27boo28boo18boo$3boo18boo28boo3bo14boo3bo$4bobboo15bo
bboo25bobbo16bobbo$4bobobo15bobobo25bobo17bobo$5bo19bo29bo19bo$$40boo$
20boo19boo$19boo19bo$21bo!
mniemiec
Posts: 1590
Joined: June 1st, 2013, 12:00 am

Re: Synthesising Oscillators

Post by mniemiec »

A partial synthesis of Gabriel Nivasch's rotationally symmetrical pseudo-barberpole variant. Everything is there except the last step, which requires four barb-pole to pseudo-barber-pole activations to be performed simultaneously, requiring the placement of 8 simultaneous sparks, which can't quite be done with any of the currently known boiler-plate mechanisms.

Code: Select all

x = 236, y = 116, rule = B3/S23
26bo$24boo$25boo5$136bo$68bobo64bo18bo$69boo64b3o14boo$69bo10bo49bobo
14bo5boo57bo$15bo62boo51boo12boo60bobboo$16bo62boo50bo14boo57bobo3boo$
14b3o189boo$29bo$29bobo38bobo58b3o79boo$obo21bo4boo40boo60bo79bobo$boo
20bo47bo60bo35boo28boo13bo14boo$bo21b3o23boo28boo28boo28boo10bo16bobo
27bobo27bobo3boo$20bo28bo3boo24bo3boo24bo3boo24bo3boo5boo21boo28boo30b
o$21boo27bobobo25bobobo25bobobo25bobobo5bobo17bobobo25bobobo25bobobo$
20boo$48bobobo25bobobo25bobobo25bobobo25bobobo25bobobo25bobobo$48boo3b
o24boo3bo23bo5bo23bo5bo23bo5bo23bo5bo23bo5bo$41bo10boo28boo23boo3boo
23boo3boo23boo3boo23boo3boo23boo3boo$40boo27bo141bo$12boo26bobo24bobo
140boo$11bobo54boo140bobo$13bo$26b3o46boo$26bo43boo3bobo124boo$27bo43b
oobbo127boo$70bo131bo10bo$212boo$212bobo6$16boo$17boo$16bo15$18boo28b
oo28boo28boo28boo28boo28boo28boo$18bobo3boo22bobo3boo22bobo3boo22bobo
3boo22bobo3boo22bobo3boo22bobo3boo22bobo3boo$25bo29bo29bo29bo29bo29bo
29bo29bo$20bobobo25bobobo25bobobo25bobobo25bobobo25bobobo25bobobo25bob
obo$$18bobobo25bobobo25bobobo25bobobo16bobo6bobobo25bobobo25bobobo25bo
bobo$17bo5bo23bo5bo23bo5bo23bo5bo16boo5bo5bo9bo13bo29bo29bo$17boo3boo
23boo3boo23boo3boo23boo3boo16bo6boo3boo8bo14boo3bobo22boo3bobo22boo3bo
bo$147bo4b3o18boo28boo28boo$47boo28boo28b4o26b4o6bobo$18b3o26bobo27bob
o6bo20bobbo21bo4bobbo6boo$18bo29bo29bo7bobo19boo23boo3boo$19bo66boo44b
oo$83boo64boo$82boo57bo7bobo12boo28boo$84bo55boo7bo14boobboo24boobboo$
140bobo25boo28boo$195bo$137b3o55boo$139bo54bobo$138bo10$74bobo$74boo$
32bo38bo3bo9bo$27bo3bo37bobo12bo$28boob3o36boo12b3o$27boo$71bo64bobbob
oo4bo$34boo35boo63bobboo6bo$33boo35bobo60boo31boo$11bo23bo71boo28boo9b
oo16bobo7boo$9bobo6boo28boo5boo21boo5boo20bo7boo20bobo5boo21bo8bo$10b
oo6bobo3boo22bobo3bobo21bobo3bobo21bobo3bobo29bo22bo5boo$25bo113bobobo
bobboo20bo3bo$20bobobo25bobobo25bobobo25bobobo18bo14bo21boboo$133bo5bo
3bo5bo$18bobobo25bobobo25bobobo25bobobo21bo14bo19boobo$17bo115boobbobo
bobo24bo3bo$17boo3bobo6boo13bobo3bobo21bobo3bobo21bobo3bobo21bo29boo5b
o$23boo6bobo12boo5boo21boo5boo21boo7bo20boo5bobo19bo8bo$7bo23bo82boo
17boo9boo19boo7bobo$8boo80bobo55boo25boo$7boo81boo43bo6boobbo$91bo43bo
4boobobbo$14boo$9b3oboo61b3o12boo$11bo3bo62bo12bobo$10bo66bo9bo3bo$87b
oo$86bobo!
User avatar
Extrementhusiast
Posts: 1970
Joined: June 16th, 2009, 11:24 pm
Location: USA

Re: Synthesising Oscillators

Post by Extrementhusiast »

mniemiec wrote:A partial synthesis of Gabriel Nivasch's rotationally symmetrical pseudo-barberpole variant. Everything is there except the last step, which requires four barb-pole to pseudo-barber-pole activations to be performed simultaneously, requiring the placement of 8 simultaneous sparks, which can't quite be done with any of the currently known boiler-plate mechanisms.

Code: Select all

RLE
It ain't pretty, but this works:

Code: Select all

x = 61, y = 61, rule = B3/S23
9bo$7bobo$8b2o5$59bo$58bo$31bo26b3o$29bobo14bobo$30b2o13bo$10bo2bo31bo
$14bo5bo13bo10bo2bo$10bo3bo3bobo4bo6b2o11b3o$11b4o4b2o2bobo7b2o$24b2o$
41bo$19bo20bo5bo$17bobo20b3o2bo$18b2o9b2o14b3o$28bo2bo$22bo5bo2bo4b3o$
22bo6b2o14bo$22bo21bo$26b2o16b3o$13bobo10bo7b2o$14b2o11bobo3bobo$14bo
23b2o$9b3o9b2o6bobobo3bo2bo9bo$11bo8bo2bo13bo2bo8bo$10bo9bo2bo3bobobo
6b2o9b3o$21b2o23bo$25bobo3bobo11b2o$25b2o7bo10bobo$14b3o16b2o$16bo21bo
$15bo14b2o6bo$22b3o4bo2bo5bo$29bo2bo$13b3o14b2o9b2o$15bo2b3o20bobo$14b
o5bo20bo$19bo$35b2o$26b2o7bobo2b2o4b4o$13b3o11b2o6bo4bobo3bo3bo$12bo2b
o10bo13bo5bo$15bo31bo2bo$15bo13b2o$12bobo14bobo$3o26bo$2bo$bo5$51b2o$
51bobo$51bo!
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)
User avatar
simsim314
Posts: 1828
Joined: February 10th, 2014, 1:27 pm

Re: Synthesising Oscillators

Post by simsim314 »

Following this message:

Code: Select all

#C [[ STOP 101 ]]
x = 69, y = 73, rule = LifeHistory
$58.A$57.A$57.3A8$22.A.A$23.2A$23.A5$19.A15.A$19.2A13.A.A$18.A.A13.A
2.A$35.2A6$44.D$44.D$22.3A20.D$24.A21.D$23.A3.2A17.D$28.2A16.D$27.A
17.D$44.D$44.D27$14.3A$16.A$15.A!

EDIT More suitable:

Code: Select all

#C [[ STOP 30 ]]
x = 28, y = 13, rule = LifeHistory
15.A$9.A4.3A$7.A.A3.A2.2A7.D$8.2A3.2A3.A6.D$18.2A6.D$18.3A6.D$18.2A7.
D$13.2A3.A8.D$13.A2.2A8.D$14.3A8.D$A.A4.A.A5.A9.D$.2A4.A.A$.A5.3A!
mniemiec
Posts: 1590
Joined: June 1st, 2013, 12:00 am

Re: Synthesising Oscillators

Post by mniemiec »

simsim314 wrote:Following this message: ...
Both predecessors are nice, but unfortunately, they don't quite solve the synthesis yet. The first method has one immediately toxic mush that can be fixed with one extra glider following closely behind one of the base ones. Unfortunately, the mechanism interferes with one of the boat-making gliders from reaching the hat (top left example, with one boat-making glider removed from each side; see generations 89 and 92).

The second method has two immediately toxic areas (top right example). The first is a toxic bit on the bottom. The bottom right glider in the first method eliminates this bit, but that glider cannot approach from the right here because it would be destroyed earlier. When it approaches from the left, it interferes with one of the boat-making gliders (bottom left example, with boat-making glider removed from each side; see generations 47 and 50). Unfortunately, in both of these examples, there is a also single bit-spark in the middle of the whole mess that causes a dying 3-bit spark to form a toxic block - this will likely be quite difficult to remove.

Code: Select all

x = 161, y = 115
44bobo$44boo$45bo$62bo$60boo4bobo$61boo3boo$67bo$39bobo$39boo$40bo5$
94bo11bobo31bobo$92bobo12boo31boo$10bo82boo12bo33bo$8bobo$9boo$5boo$4b
obo$6bo12bo$18bobo$18bobbo120bo$19boo76bo42bobo$95bobo43boo$96boo$32b
ooboo85booboo22bobo$33bobo87bobo23boo$9bo23bobo87bobo24bo$9boo23bo89bo
$8bobo90bo$13b3o86bo40bo$15bo72bobo9b3o39bo16bo$14bo39bo34boo13b3o35b
3o13boo$53bo35bo16bo39b3o9bobo$53b3o49bo40bo$58bobo86bo$34bo23boo64bo$
33bobo23bo38bo24bobo$33bobo62boo23bobo$32booboo60bobo22booboo$151boo$
106boo43bobo$48boo56bobo42bo$47bobbo55bo$48bobo$49bo12bo$62bobo$62boo$
58boo$58bobo$58bo48bo33bo12boo$107boo31boo12bobo$106bobo31bobo11bo5$
28bo$28boo$27bobo$bo$boo3boo$obo4boo$6bo$23bo$23boo$22bobo6$94bo11bobo
$92bobo12boo11bobo$93boo12bo13boo$121bo6$142bo$97bo42bobo$95bobo43boo$
96boo$122booboo22bobo$123bobo23boo$123bobo24bo$124bo$101bo$102bo40bo$
88bobo9b3o39bo16bo$89boo13b3o35b3o13boo$89bo16bo39b3o9bobo$105bo40bo$
147bo$124bo$98bo24bobo$98boo23bobo$97bobo22booboo$151boo$106boo43bobo$
106bobo42bo$106bo6$127bo$126boo13bo12boo$126bobo11boo12bobo$140bobo11b
o!
User avatar
Extrementhusiast
Posts: 1970
Joined: June 16th, 2009, 11:24 pm
Location: USA

Re: Synthesising Oscillators

Post by Extrementhusiast »

mniemiec wrote:
simsim314 wrote:Following this message: ...
Both predecessors are nice, but unfortunately, they don't quite solve the synthesis yet. The first method has one immediately toxic mush that can be fixed with one extra glider following closely behind one of the base ones. Unfortunately, the mechanism interferes with one of the boat-making gliders from reaching the hat (top left example, with one boat-making glider removed from each side; see generations 89 and 92).

The second method has two immediately toxic areas (top right example). The first is a toxic bit on the bottom. The bottom right glider in the first method eliminates this bit, but that glider cannot approach from the right here because it would be destroyed earlier. When it approaches from the left, it interferes with one of the boat-making gliders (bottom left example, with boat-making glider removed from each side; see generations 47 and 50). Unfortunately, in both of these examples, there is a also single bit-spark in the middle of the whole mess that causes a dying 3-bit spark to form a toxic block - this will likely be quite difficult to remove.

Code: Select all

RLE
For the first example, you just have to be creative with placing that one other glider:

Code: Select all

x = 95, y = 77, rule = B3/S23
22bo$23b2o$22b2o2$52bo$51bo$5bo21bo23b3o$6b2o20b2o$5b2o20b2o45bo5bo$
72b2o4b2o$73b2o4b2o2$43bobo$43b2o$44bo$31bo$29bobo$30b2o$44bo$43bo$23b
o19b3o$24bo$22b3o$18b3o$20bo$19bo12bo$31bobo$31bo2bo$32b2o3$45b2ob2o$
46bobo$22b2o22bobo$23b2o22bo44bo$22bo4b2o63bobo$26bobo63b2o$28bo2$66bo
$b2o63bobo$obo63b2o4bo$2bo44bo22b2o$46bobo22b2o$46bobo$45b2ob2o3$61b2o
$60bo2bo$61bobo$62bo12bo$74bo$74b3o$70b3o$70bo$49b3o19bo$51bo$50bo$63b
2o$63bobo$63bo$50bo$50b2o$49bobo2$14b2o4b2o$15b2o4b2o$14bo5bo45b2o20b
2o$65b2o20b2o$41b3o23bo21bo$43bo$42bo2$71b2o$70b2o$72bo!
I had already found several possibilities for the last key glider, but finding that cleanup glider took hours.

As for improvements, this later part of the first example caught my attention:

Code: Select all

x = 35, y = 21, rule = B3/S23
9bobo11bobo3bobo$10b2o11b2o4b2o$10bo13bo5bo$15b2ob2o$16bobo$o15bobo$ob
o3b2o9bo8b2o$obo2bo2bo16bo2bo$b2o3bob2o16b2o$8bo2$26bo$7b2o16b2obo3b2o
$6bo2bo16bo2bo2bobo$7b2o8bo9b2o3bobo$16bobo15bo$16bobo$15b2ob2o$4bo5bo
13bo$4b2o4b2o11b2o$3bobo3bobo11bobo!
The seven-bit polyplets (that would evolve into traffic lights) interact only very briefly with the eight-bit polyplets immediately in front of them, so they can easily be substituted with something else. That eight-bit polyplet seems to be a fairly common natural active object; one forms during the evolution of the century, but in an incompatible way.
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)
User avatar
simsim314
Posts: 1828
Joined: February 10th, 2014, 1:27 pm

Re: Synthesising Oscillators

Post by simsim314 »

Extrementhusiast wrote:I had already found several possibilities for the last key glider, but finding that cleanup glider took hours.
Yes getting rid of the toxic area is very impressive... well done!

EDIT Maybe this can help to fit/optimize the top/bottom:

Code: Select all

x = 63, y = 39, rule = LifeHistory
5$36.A$35.A.A$34.A2.A$35.2A5$19.A$19.2A11.2A$18.A.A10.A.A$33.A3$50.2A
$50.A.A$50.A5$5.A$5.2A$4.A.A!
mniemiec
Posts: 1590
Joined: June 1st, 2013, 12:00 am

Re: Synthesising Oscillators

Post by mniemiec »

Extrementhusiast wrote:For the first example, you just have to be creative with placing that one other glider: ...
simsim314 wrote:Maybe this can help to fit/optimize the top/bottom: ...
Very nice, and very nice! One glider can do some Rube Goldberg-style cleanup, yielding this 32-glider synthesis:

Code: Select all

x = 287, y = 125, rule = B3/S23
242bo$241bo$241b3o21$181bo$179bobo$180boo5$167bo62bo$168boo58boo$167b
oo60boo11bo$240boo$241boo$207bo$195bo12boo$193bobo11boo$194boo6$103bo
81bo$101bobo38boo42bo25boo$102boob3o33bobbo39b3o24bobbo$105bo36bobo35b
3o29bobo$106bo36bo38bo30bo$bo42bo39bo39bo56bo12bo$bbo40bobo37bobo37bob
o67bobo$3oboo37bobbo36bobbo36bobbo66bobbo$4bobo37boo38boo38boo68boo$4b
o4$184boo90boo3boo$185boo67bo21bobobobo$184bo4boo63bobo20bo3bo$188bobo
63boo$190bo81bo3boo3boo3bo$272boboboo3boobobo$228bo43bo3boo3boo3bo$
163boo63bobo$162bobo63boo4bo42bo3bo$164bo67boo42bobobobo$233boo41boo3b
oo4$34bo$32bobo38boo38boo38boo68boo$33boob3o33bobbo36bobbo36bobbo66bo
bbo$36bo36bobo37bobo37bobo67bobo$37bo36bo39bo39bo69bo12bo$92bo42bo69bo
30bo$93bo40bobo67bobo29b3o$91b3oboo37bobbo66bobbo24b3o$95bobo37boo68b
oo25bo$95bo137bo6$223boo$210boo11bobo$209boo12bo$211bo$176boo$177boo$
176bo11boo60boo$189boo58boo$188bo62bo5$237boo$237bobo$237bo21$175b3o$
177bo$176bo!
User avatar
simsim314
Posts: 1828
Joined: February 10th, 2014, 1:27 pm

Re: Synthesising Oscillators

Post by simsim314 »

@mniemiec Cool! Didn't realize they fit so well...
mniemiec
Posts: 1590
Joined: June 1st, 2013, 12:00 am

Re: Synthesising Oscillators

Post by mniemiec »

It turns out that the P60 hassler can use a domino spark from a pentadecathlon rather than a HW emulator. Not only is this cheaper, but it gives the oscillator glide symmetry. Here is a 30-glider synthesis of this version:

Code: Select all

x = 184, y = 64, rule = B3/S23
41bo26bo$42boo22boo$41boo4bobo10bobo4boo$48boo10boo20bo4bo14bo4bo44bo
4bo$48bo12bo20b6o14b6o44b6o$82bo4bo14bo4bo44bo4bo$$5bo38b3o16b3o63bo$
3boo41bo16bo63boo$4boo5bo10b6o17bo6b6o6bo17b6o14b6o20boo5bo16b6o18b6o$
10bo10bo6bo22bo6bo22bo6bo12bo6bo25bo16bo6bo16bo6bo$10b3o7bo8bo10b3o7bo
8bo7b3o10bo8bo10bo8bo24b3o13bo8bo14bo8bo$21bo6bo13bo8bo6bo8bo13bo6bo
12bo6bo42bo6bo16bo6bo$5boo15b6o13bo10b6o10bo13b6o14b6o21boo21b6o18b6o$
4bobo121bobo$6bo123bo13$129bo$129bobo$100bo28boo$101bo6bo$99b3o4bobo$
107boo21bobo$130boo$131bo4$108bobo10bo3bobo38boo$109boo8boo4boo37bo4bo
$109bo10boo4bo36bo6bo$162bo8bo$105bobo54bo8bo$106boo54bo8bo$106bo56bo
6bo$19bo144bo4bo$17bobo146boo$18boo3bobo$24boo140bo$24bo17bo123bo$28bo
bo9boo124bo$23bo4boo4bobo4boo120bo$bbo4bo16bo4bo4boo16bo4bo18bo4bo20bo
4bo18bo4bo20bo4bo3bobbo3b3o5bo4bo$bb6o14b3o10bo16b6o18b6o20b6o18b6o20b
6o3bobo12b6o$bbo4bo44bo4bo18bo4bo20bo4bo18bo4bo20bo4bo4bo3bo9bo4bo$
166bo$37b3o126bo$37bo$bb6o18b6o6bo13b6o18b6o20b6o18b6o20b6o18b6o$bo6bo
16bo6bo18bo6bo16bo6bo18bo6bo16bo6bo18bo6bo16bo6bo$o8bo14bo8bo7b3o6bo8b
o14bo8bo16bo8bo14bo8bo16bo8bo14bo8bo$bo6bo16bo6bo8bo9bo6bo16bo6bo18bo
6bo16bo6bo18bo6bo16bo6bo$bb6o18b6o10bo9b6o18b6o20b6o18b6o20b6o18b6o!
tennisplayer
Posts: 5
Joined: February 17th, 2016, 7:20 am

Re: Synthesis p4 Oscillators

Post by tennisplayer »

Code: Select all

x = 140, y = 169, rule = B3/S23
16bo$17bo$15b3o3$12bo$10bobo$11b2o36b2o$8bo9bo30bo$8b2o8b2o31bo$7bobo
7bobo27b5o$21b3o23bo$21bo6bo21b2o$22bo3b2o22b2o$27b2o5$21bo6b2o$20b2o
6bobo$20bobo5bo10$16b2o$16bo$18bo$14b5o26b2o$14bo30bo$17b2o28bo$17b2o
24b5o$11bo31bo$12b2o32b2o$11b2o2b2o3b2o24bobo$14bobo2b2o26bo$16bo4bo
13$17b2o26b2o$17bo27bo$19bo27bo$15b5o23b5o$15bo27bo$18b2o5bo20b4o$18bo
bo2b2o21bo2bo$19bo4b2o4$24b2o$25b2o$24bo5$25bobo$28bo$24bo3bo$24bo3bo$
28bo$25bo2bo$26b3o86bo$114bo$114b3o$18b2o28b2o52b2o6bo23b2o$18bo29bo
53bo8bo22bo$20bo14bo14bo53bo4b3o24bo$16b5o14bobo8b5o49b5o27b5o$16bo18b
2o9bo6bo46bo6bo24bo6bo$19b4o26b5o49b5o27b5o$19bo2bo26bo53bo31bo$52b2o
52b2o3b2o24bo$52b2o52b2o3bobo22b2o$98bo12bo$99bo2bo$97b3o2b2o$101bobo
4b3o$24b3o13b3o51b3o11bo$14b3o7bo15bo55bo12bo$16bo4bo3bo15bo53bo8b3o$
15bo4b2o84bo$20bobo82bo7$36bo$35bo88bo$35b3o85bo$123b3o5$30bobo$30b2o
86bobo$31bo86b2o$119bo3$17bo$15bobo87bo$16b2o85bobo$20bo83b2o$18b2o88b
o$19b2o85b2o$107b2o4$48b2o$48bo87b2o$46bobo87bo$11b2o29b2o2b2o86bobo$
11bo30bo56b2o29b2o2b2o$13bo30bo54bo30bo$9b5o26b5o56bo30bo$9bo6bo23bo6b
o49b5o26b5o$12b5o26b5o49bo6bo23bo6bo$12bo30bo56b5o26b5o$15b2o29b2o52bo
30bo$15b2o29b2o54bo30bo$101b2o29b2o9$o$b2o85bo$2o87b2o$9bo78b2o$7bobo
87bo$3b3o2b2o10b2o28b2o43bobo$5bo14bo29bo40b3o2b2o10b2o28b2o$4bo13bobo
27bobo42bo14bo29bo$14b2o2b2o24b2ob3o42bo13bobo27bobo$14bo29bob2o54b2o
2b2o24b2ob3o$16bo29b2o54bo29bob2o$12b5o25b5o57bo29b2o$12bo6bo22bo6bo
50b5o25b5o$15b5o25b5o50bo6bo22bo6bo$15bo29bo57b5o25b5o$18b2o28b2o53bo
29bo$18b2o28b2o55bo29bo$104b2o28b2o!
BobShemyakin
Posts: 214
Joined: June 15th, 2014, 6:24 am

Re: Synthesis p4 Oscillators

Post by BobShemyakin »

tennisplayer wrote:

Code: Select all

x = 140, y = 169, rule = B3/S23
16bo$17bo$15b3o3$12bo$10bobo$11b2o36b2o$8bo9bo30bo$8b2o8b2o31bo$7bobo
7bobo27b5o$21b3o23bo$21bo6bo21b2o$22bo3b2o22b2o$27b2o5$21bo6b2o$20b2o
6bobo$20bobo5bo10$16b2o$16bo$18bo$14b5o26b2o$14bo30bo$17b2o28bo$17b2o
24b5o$11bo31bo$12b2o32b2o$11b2o2b2o3b2o24bobo$14bobo2b2o26bo$16bo4bo
13$17b2o26b2o$17bo27bo$19bo27bo$15b5o23b5o$15bo27bo$18b2o5bo20b4o$18bo
bo2b2o21bo2bo$19bo4b2o4$24b2o$25b2o$24bo5$25bobo$28bo$24bo3bo$24bo3bo$
28bo$25bo2bo$26b3o86bo$114bo$114b3o$18b2o28b2o52b2o6bo23b2o$18bo29bo
53bo8bo22bo$20bo14bo14bo53bo4b3o24bo$16b5o14bobo8b5o49b5o27b5o$16bo18b
2o9bo6bo46bo6bo24bo6bo$19b4o26b5o49b5o27b5o$19bo2bo26bo53bo31bo$52b2o
52b2o3b2o24bo$52b2o52b2o3bobo22b2o$98bo12bo$99bo2bo$97b3o2b2o$101bobo
4b3o$24b3o13b3o51b3o11bo$14b3o7bo15bo55bo12bo$16bo4bo3bo15bo53bo8b3o$
15bo4b2o84bo$20bobo82bo7$36bo$35bo88bo$35b3o85bo$123b3o5$30bobo$30b2o
86bobo$31bo86b2o$119bo3$17bo$15bobo87bo$16b2o85bobo$20bo83b2o$18b2o88b
o$19b2o85b2o$107b2o4$48b2o$48bo87b2o$46bobo87bo$11b2o29b2o2b2o86bobo$
11bo30bo56b2o29b2o2b2o$13bo30bo54bo30bo$9b5o26b5o56bo30bo$9bo6bo23bo6b
o49b5o26b5o$12b5o26b5o49bo6bo23bo6bo$12bo30bo56b5o26b5o$15b2o29b2o52bo
30bo$15b2o29b2o54bo30bo$101b2o29b2o9$o$b2o85bo$2o87b2o$9bo78b2o$7bobo
87bo$3b3o2b2o10b2o28b2o43bobo$5bo14bo29bo40b3o2b2o10b2o28b2o$4bo13bobo
27bobo42bo14bo29bo$14b2o2b2o24b2ob3o42bo13bobo27bobo$14bo29bob2o54b2o
2b2o24b2ob3o$16bo29b2o54bo29bob2o$12b5o25b5o57bo29b2o$12bo6bo22bo6bo
50b5o25b5o$15b5o25b5o50bo6bo22bo6bo$15bo29bo57b5o25b5o$18b2o28b2o53bo
29bo$18b2o28b2o55bo29bo$104b2o28b2o!
Nice! Synthesis of SL 15.542 (2 row) can be reduced to 10 gliders:

Code: Select all

x = 110, y = 13, rule = B3/S23
7bo2b3o$8bobo$6b3o2bo14b2o18b2o18b2o18b2o18b2o$27bo19bo19bo19bo19bo$
25bo19bo19bo15bo3bo19bo$bo2b3o18b2o18b2o18b5o9bobo3b5o15b5o$2bobo45bob
o16bo10b2o7bo19bo$3o2bo44b2o15bo19bo17b2o$51bo3b2o10b2o14b2o2b2o15bobo
$54b2o26bobo20bo$48b3o5bo27bo5b2o$48bo40b2o$49bo41bo!
BobShemyakin
User avatar
BlinkerSpawn
Posts: 1993
Joined: November 8th, 2014, 8:48 pm
Location: Getting a snacker from R-Bee's

Re: Synthesising Oscillators

Post by BlinkerSpawn »

Extrementhusiast wrote:As for improvements, this later part of the first example caught my attention:

Code: Select all

x = 35, y = 21, rule = B3/S23
9bobo11bobo3bobo$10b2o11b2o4b2o$10bo13bo5bo$15b2ob2o$16bobo$o15bobo$ob
o3b2o9bo8b2o$obo2bo2bo16bo2bo$b2o3bob2o16b2o$8bo2$26bo$7b2o16b2obo3b2o
$6bo2bo16bo2bo2bobo$7b2o8bo9b2o3bobo$16bobo15bo$16bobo$15b2ob2o$4bo5bo
13bo$4b2o4b2o11b2o$3bobo3bobo11bobo!
The seven-bit polyplets (that would evolve into traffic lights) interact only very briefly with the eight-bit polyplets immediately in front of them, so they can easily be substituted with something else. That eight-bit polyplet seems to be a fairly common natural active object; one forms during the evolution of the century, but in an incompatible way.
You can replace each of the seven-bitters with 2 gliders:

Code: Select all

x = 35, y = 27, rule = B3/S23
2bo$3bo$b3o$9bobo11bobo3bobo$10b2o11b2o4b2o$10bo13bo5bo$15b2ob2o$16bob
o$16bobo$6b2o9bo8b2o$5bo2bo16bo2bo$6bob2o16b2o$b2o5bo23bo$obo29bobo$2b
o23bo5b2o$7b2o16b2obo$6bo2bo16bo2bo$7b2o8bo9b2o$16bobo$16bobo$15b2ob2o
$4bo5bo13bo$4b2o4b2o11b2o$3bobo3bobo11bobo$31b3o$31bo$32bo!
I know a 3-glider collision that produces the eight-bit spark but I'm certain it's not even close to compatible here.
LifeWiki: Like Wikipedia but with more spaceships. [citation needed]

Image
mniemiec
Posts: 1590
Joined: June 1st, 2013, 12:00 am

Re: Synthesising Oscillators

Post by mniemiec »

tennisplayer wrote:(RLE)
This appears to be a re-post of my July 11 synthesis (with slightly less efficient still-life) plus Extrementhusiast's improvement follow-up.
BobShemyakin wrote:Nice! Synthesis of SL 15.542 (2 row) can be reduced to 10 gliders: ...
Nice. I hadn't noticed that.
BlinkerSpawn wrote:You can replace each of the seven-bitters with 2 gliders: ...
These also leave spurious blocks, but those are eliminated if you flip the corner gliders:

Code: Select all

x = 35, y = 27, rule = B3/S23
3bo$bobo$2b2o$9bobo11bobo3bobo$10b2o11b2o4b2o$10bo13bo5bo$15b2ob2o$16b
obo$16bobo$6b2o9bo8b2o$5bo2bo16bo2bo$6bob2o16b2o$b2o5bo23bo$obo29bobo$
2bo23bo5b2o$7b2o16b2obo$6bo2bo16bo2bo$7b2o8bo9b2o$16bobo$16bobo$15b2ob
2o$4bo5bo13bo$4b2o4b2o11b2o$3bobo3bobo11bobo$31b2o$31bobo$31bo!
Now all that's left is getting those 8-bitters there in the first place.
User avatar
BlinkerSpawn
Posts: 1993
Joined: November 8th, 2014, 8:48 pm
Location: Getting a snacker from R-Bee's

Re: Synthesising Oscillators

Post by BlinkerSpawn »

mniemiec wrote:Now all that's left is getting those 8-bitters there in the first place.
There's a way to make them in 3 gliders each, but one of the gliders is one lane too close to the lanes required for either 3G hat synth, if the hives can even be put there in the first place:

Code: Select all

x = 43, y = 85, rule = B3/S23
bobo$2b2o$2bo7bo21bo5bo$11bo19bo5bo$9b3o19b3o3b3o2$21bobo$21b2o$22bo$
15bo$13b2o8b2o$14b2o6bobo$17b3o4bo15bobo$19bo10b2o8b2o$6b2o10bo10bo2bo
8bo$5bobo15bo6b2o$7bo16b2o$18b2o3b2o$17b2o16bo$11b2o6bo15bobo$bo8bo2bo
10bo10b2o$b2o8b2o10bo$obo15bo4b3o$18bobo6b2o$18b2o8b2o$27bo$20bo$20b2o
$19bobo2$3b3o3b3o19b3o$5bo5bo19bo$4bo5bo21bo7bo$39b2o$39bobo16$bobo18b
obo$2b2o19b2o$2bo7bo12bo8bo5bo$11bo19bo5bo$9b3o19b3o3b3o$25b2o$23bobob
o$21bobobo$22b2o$15bo$13b2o$14b2o2b2o$17bobo20bobo$19bo10b2o8b2o$6b2o
21bo2bo8bo$5bobo15bo6b2o$7bo16b2o$18b2o3b2o$17b2o16bo$11b2o6bo15bobo$b
o8bo2bo21b2o$b2o8b2o10bo$obo20bobo$23b2o2b2o$28b2o$27bo$19b2o$17bobobo
$15bobobo$16b2o$3b3o3b3o19b3o$5bo5bo19bo$4bo5bo8bo12bo7bo$18b2o19b2o$
18bobo18bobo!
The fourth glider in the bottom hat syntheses suppresses an otherwise glider-killing spark.
LifeWiki: Like Wikipedia but with more spaceships. [citation needed]

Image
User avatar
gmc_nxtman
Posts: 1158
Joined: May 26th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: Synthesising Oscillators

Post by gmc_nxtman »

This might be useful, but it is probably already discovered:

Code: Select all

x = 11, y = 10, rule = B3/S23
8b2o$b2o4bo2bo$2bo4bo2bo$bo6b2o$b4o$4bo4bo$b3o4b2o$o$b3o$3bo!
User avatar
muzik
Posts: 6605
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Synthesising Oscillators

Post by muzik »

My second ever "first" discovery on Catagolue, which does not look like an easy task to synthesise:

Code: Select all

x = 16, y = 16, rule = B3/S23
6o4bob2obo$o4bob2o5b2o$o2bo3bo4bobo$2obo2b2o2b2ob2o$o3bo2bo2b6o$b6o2bo
2bo2bo$2b3o3bo3b2o$6o4bobobo$2b2o2bo2bo3bo$3bo4bo2b2o$7bob2obobo$2obo
3bo2b3o$ob2obob4obo$4bo4bobobo$bob4o6bo$2o3b5o2bob2o!
If anyone is up for this challenge, I salute you.
Parity Replicator Collection v1.6 is now live - please send all relevant discoveries here.
User avatar
BlinkerSpawn
Posts: 1993
Joined: November 8th, 2014, 8:48 pm
Location: Getting a snacker from R-Bee's

Re: Synthesising Oscillators

Post by BlinkerSpawn »

muzik wrote:My second ever "first" discovery on Catagolue, which does not look like an easy task to synthesise:

Code: Select all

x = 16, y = 16, rule = B3/S23
6o4bob2obo$o4bob2o5b2o$o2bo3bo4bobo$2obo2b2o2b2ob2o$o3bo2bo2b6o$b6o2bo
2bo2bo$2b3o3bo3b2o$6o4bobobo$2b2o2bo2bo3bo$3bo4bo2b2o$7bob2obobo$2obo
3bo2b3o$ob2obob4obo$4bo4bobobo$bob4o6bo$2o3b5o2bob2o!
If anyone is up for this challenge, I salute you.
Soup object that appear close-to-spontaneously are abundant but never fun to work with.
LifeWiki: Like Wikipedia but with more spaceships. [citation needed]

Image
User avatar
muzik
Posts: 6605
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Synthesising Oscillators

Post by muzik »

So it's a beacon on table, with an eater. Any known ways to get an eater there?
Parity Replicator Collection v1.6 is now live - please send all relevant discoveries here.
User avatar
Extrementhusiast
Posts: 1970
Joined: June 16th, 2009, 11:24 pm
Location: USA

Re: Synthesising Oscillators

Post by Extrementhusiast »

muzik wrote:So it's a beacon on table, with an eater. Any known ways to get an eater there?
Yes, although you have to convert to the beacon afterwards:

Code: Select all

x = 21, y = 10, rule = B3/S23
9bo$o2bo6bo$4o4b3o2$2o7bo$2o7b2o3bo$8bobob2o$13b2o4b2o$18b2o$20bo!
Interestingly, removing the rightmost glider adds a tub with tail instead.

Synthesis of a P8, which was probably the most difficult synthesis I have undertaken thus far:

Code: Select all

x = 697, y = 55, rule = B3/S23
149bobo$148bo$148bo$148bo2bo$148b3o6$547bo111bo$546bo112bobo17bo$546b
3o110b2o18bobo$303bobo373b2o$304b2o219bo126bo9bo$26bo277bo5bo215bo13bo
109bobo9bobo$24bobo35b2o245bo214b3o12bo111b2o9b2o$25b2o35b2o245b3o95bo
131b3o71bo$28bo39bo88bobo147bo99bobo203bobo$27bo40bobo86b2o146bobo99b
2o204b2o$8bo18b3o33b2o3b2o88bo147b2o6bo350bo$8bobo52b2o249bobo260bo37b
o49bobo$8b2o147b3o59bo94b2o85bo174bobo35bobo39b2o7b2o$157bo62bo55bobo
122bobo172b2o36b2o40b2o$32bo35bo37b2o36b2o12bo3b2o37b2o15b3o20b2o25b2o
7b2o3bo20b2o24b2o28b2o28b2o10b2o2b2o22b2o6b2o25b2o6b2o50b2o6b2o36b2o
36b2o40b2o37b2o$10b2o19bobo2b2o23b3o3bobo2b2o31bo2bob2o31bo2bob2o12bob
o35bo2bob2o33bo2bob2o20bo2bob2o3bo2b2o20bo2bob2o19bo2bob2ob2o20bo2bob
2ob2o20bo2bob2ob2o6b2o22bo2bob2obobo24bo2bob2obobo49bo2bob2obobo35bo2b
ob4o29bo2bob4o33bo2bob4o30bo2bob2o$b2o4bo2bobo19b2o3bo25bo4b2o3bo31bob
o3bo31bobo3bo12bo37bobo3bo33bobo3bo20bobo3bo7b2o19bobo3bo19bobo3bob2o
20bobo3bobobo19bobo3bobobo7bo21bobo3bobo26bobo3bobo51bobo3bobo37bobo3b
o2bo28bobo3bo2bo32bobo3bo2bo10b3o16bobo3bo$obo2bobo2bo23b3o25bo7b3o10b
o22bob3o5bo27bob3o52bob2o14b3o19bob2o23bob2o31bob2o22bob2o26bob2o5bo
20bob2o5bo30bob2o3bo27bob2o3bo52bob2o3bo30bobo5bob2o4bo29bob2o4bo33bob
2o4bo10bo19bob2o$2bo3b2o26bo5bo29bo10b2o25bo6bo30bo56bo17bo21bob4o21bo
b4o29bob4o20bob5o23bob5o23bob5o2b2o29bob3o30bob3o9bo45bob3o32b2o7bob4o
32bob4o36bob4o12bo20bob4o$39bo36bobo3b2o23bo7b3o27bo56bo2bo14bo21bo2bo
2bo20bo2bo2bo28bo2bo3bo18bo2bo3bo2bo19bo2bo26bo2bo6bobo27bo2bo31bo2bo
10bo45bo2bo34bo7bo2bo6bobo25bo2bo38bo2bo35bo5bo$39b3o29bo4b2o30b3o35b
3o2b2o50b2obo36b2o2bo22b2o33b2o3b2o19b2o3bo3bobo18b2o3b2o23b2o3b2o2bo
30b2o33b2o11b3o44b2o37bo5b2o2bo5b2o26b2o2bo37b2o2bo34b3obo$70bobo4bo
32bo37bo2bobo52bo41b3o26bo58b2o2b2o2b2o20b2o27bobo72b2o56b3o9b2o23b2o
5bob2o6bo18bo8bob2o38bob2o38bo$33b2o2b2o32bo7bo38bobo31bo53b2o42bo26b
2o3bo60b2o51bo39b2o16bo2bo11bo2bo5bo40bo8bo2bo8bobo16b2o3bobo5bobo27b
2o6bobo4bo34bobo35b2obo$34b2obobo24b3o11b2o38b2o156bobo3bobo60bo17bo
72bobo19bo11b2o5b2o38bobo9b2o9bo19b2o8b2o3b3o23b2o4b2obobo3bo21bo11bob
obobo7b3o23b2obobo$33bo3bo28bo11bobo38bo125b3o34b2o29b3o47b2o2b2o26b2o
39bo17bo3bo18bobo38b2o39bo10bo7bo28bo2bob2o2b3o17bobo11b2o3b2o7bo29b2o
$65bo181bo65bo48bobob2o26bobo36b2o20b4o4bo104bobo6b2o29b2o11bo15b2o7b
2o17bo$120b3o123bo2b2o63bo53bo27bo35bobo28b2o55b3o16b2o27b2o50b2o18b2o
3b2o$120bo128bobo57b3o122bo27bobo9b3o31b3o11bo15b2o43bo21bo14bobo18b2o
4bo$121bo42bo84bo61bo54b2o106bo35bo10bo18bo37b2o2bo22b2o33bo$163b2o
145bo54bobo102b2o3bo33bo59b3o6bobob3o19bobo6b3o$163bobo201bo102bobo98b
o6bo30b2o2bo$470bo65b2o32bo4bo32b2o4bo46b3o$141bo373b2o4b2o13bobo36b2o
28b2o3bo49bo2bo$141b2o20bo352b2o2bobo13bo37bobo27bobo56bo$140bobo19b2o
64b2o285bo6bo83bo56bo$162bobo63bobo429bobo$191bo30bo5bo$191b2o28b2o$
190bobo28bobo2$218b2o$217b2o$191bo27bo273b3o$191b2o302bo$190bobo301bo!
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)
mniemiec
Posts: 1590
Joined: June 1st, 2013, 12:00 am

Re: Synthesising Oscillators

Post by mniemiec »

muzik wrote:My second ever "first" discovery on Catagolue, which does not look like an easy task to synthesise: ... So it's a beacon on table, with an eater. Any known ways to get an eater there?
Extrementhusiast wrote:Yes, although you have to convert to the beacon afterwards: ...
The soup doesn't provide a useful synthesis path, although the object is made from standard components which have well-known mechanisms for adding them, e.g. Extrementhusiast's method (instantiated here for 14 gliders), starting from the beacon (for 17 gliders), or starting from the eater (for 59 gliders, using Extrementhusiast's complicated method to add an eater behind another eater):

Code: Select all

x = 316, y = 206, rule = B3/S23
110bo$108bobo$109boo$$111bo$111bobo43bo24boo18boo18boo18boo18boo$103b
oo6boo15bobbo16bobbo6bo19bobbobo14bobbobo14bobbobo14bobbobo14bobbobo$
104boo22b4o16b4o4b3o19b4obobo12b4obobo12b4obobo12b4obobo12b4obobo$103b
o80boo18boo18boo18boo18boo$128boo18boo7bo20boo18boo18boo18boo18boo$
106bo21boo18boo7boo3bo15boo18boo17bobo17bobo18bo$106boo48boboboo55boo
18boo22bo$105bobo53boo4boo75boo14boo$166boo28boobb3o41bobo$168bo28boob
o31b3o4boo3bo$196bo4bo32bo5boo$233bo5bo$197boo$197bobo$197bo15$242bo$
240boo$241boo$238bo$236boo$232bobobboo$116bo116boo$114bobo116bo10bo$
115boo125boo$197bo45boo$70bo42boo39bo42bobo$69bo19bo19bo3bobo38bobo40b
oo47boo14boo$69b3o16bobo17bobobbo14bobbo16bobbobboo12bobboboo13bobbob
oo7bo5bobboboo13bobboboo11bobo9bobbobo$88boo18boo18b4o16b4o5boo9b4oboo
13b4oboo3bobbo6b4obobo12b4obobo10bo11b4obobo$157bobo37boobb3o10boo18b
oo28boo$30bobo15boo18boo18boo18boo18boo18boo7bo10boo18boo7bobo8boo18b
oo28boo$30boo16bo19bo19bo19bo19bo19bo19bo19bo19bo19bo29bo$27bo3bo19bo
19bo19bo19bo19bo19bo19bo19bo19bo19bo29bo$25bobo22boo18boo18boo18boo18b
oo18boo18boo18boo18boo18boo28boo$26boo225bo$252boo$26boo224bobo$25bobo
$27bo17$214bo$212boo$159bo53boo$157bobo$158boo17$287bo$287bobo$108bo
178boo$106bobo$107boo177bo$104bo139bo42boobobo$102bobo137bobo41boobboo
$65bo37boo138boo46bo$66bo241bo$64b3o160boo13boo3boo18boo18boo18bobo$
52boo18boo18boo28boo18boo48boo32bobo3boo7bobobbobo3boo13boo3boo13boo3b
oo13boo3boo$53bo8boo9bo19bo29bo14boobobo44boobobo32bo4bobo9bobbo4bobo
17bobo17bobo17bobo$32boo19bobo5bobo9bobo12b3obbobo22b3obbobo12boboobob
o42boboobobo31b5obobo11b5obobo11b5obobo11b5obobo11b5obobo$33boo19boo7b
o10boo18boo28boo18boo48boo38boo18boo11bo6boo11bo6boo11bo6boo$32bo3boo
191bo19bo19bo19bo19bo$36bobo189bobo17bobo17boo18boo18boo$36bo190bobo
17bobo$228bo19bo$114bo136bo$114boo134boo$113bobo134bobo$106b3o9boo$
108bo8boo$107bo11bo$$199bo$199bobo$199boo$183boo$182boo$184bo$180boo$
179bobo$181bo7$252boo18boo18boo18boo$251bobo17bobo17bobo17bobo$249b3ob
obo13b3obobo8bo4b3obobo13b3obobo$bobo116bo127bo5boo12bo5boo9bobbo5boo
12bo5boo$bboo114boo124bo3boo17bobo13b3obobo18boo$bbo116boo124bo22boo
18boo19bo$62bo180b3o63bobo$62bobo46bo175bo3boo17bobo$18bo19bo23boo4bo
19bo20bobo6bo126b3o39booboo19bo$17bobo17bobo17bobo7bobo17bobo16boobboo
5bobo125bo40bobo3bo$17boo3boo13boo3boo9b3obboo7boo3boo13boo3boo13boo8b
oo3boo18boo102bo$21bobo17bobo11bobbo12bobo8bo8bobo12bo5bo8bobo17bobo$
9boo6b5obobo6boo3b5obobo8bo7boo3b5obobo5bobo3b5obobo15bobo3b5obobo13b
3obobo$8boo7bo6boo6bobobbo6boo16bobobbo6boo6bobobbo6boo16bobobbo6boo
12bo5boo$10bo8bo14bo4bo24bo4bo14bo4bo24bo4bo18boo$18boo14boobboo24boo
bboo14boobboo24boobboo$8boo$7bobo$9bo114boo$117boo4boo$118boo5bo$117bo
3$12boo$12bobo$12bo202boo$215bobo$215bo3$boo$obo$bbo7$159bo$150bo6boo$
151bo6boo$149b3o$154bo$155boo$154boo$$153bo$153boo$22boo18boo38boo18b
oo18boo18boo8bobo7boo18boo18boo18boo18boo18boo18boo18boo$21bobo17bobo
37bobo17bobo17bobo17bobo17bobo14bobbobo14bobbobo14bobbobo14bobbobo14bo
bbobo14bobbobo14bobbobo$19b3obobo13b3obobo23bo3bo5b3obobo13b3obobo13b
3obobo13b3obobo13b3obobo12b4obobo12b4obobo12b4obobo12b4obobo12b4obobo
12b4obobo12b4obobo$18bo5boo12bo5boo21boboboo5bo5boo9boobo5boo9boobo5b
oo9boobo5boo9boobo5boo18boo18boo18boo18boo18boo18boo18boo$18boo18boo
28boobboo4boo15booboo15booboo15booboo9boo4booboo18boo18boo18boo18boo
18boo18boo18boo$19bo19bo39bo19bo19bo19bo8bobo8bo19bo19bo18boo18boo17bo
bo17bobo18bo$19bobo17bobo37bobo17bobo17bobo17bobo8bo8bobo17bobo17bobo
55boo18boo22bo$20bobo17boo38boo18boo18boo18boo18boo18boo18boo82boo14b
oo$21bo114boo18boo78boobb3o41bobo$115b3o18boo18boo40boo37boobo31b3o4b
oo3bo$19booboo93bo32b3o44bobo36bo4bo32bo5boo$18bobobobo91bo35bo46bo73b
o5bo$20bobo95b3o30bo85boo$118bo118bobo$119bo117bo4$51b3o$53bo$52bo!
EDIT:
Extrementhusiast wrote:Synthesis of a P8, which was probably the most difficult synthesis I have undertaken thus far: ...
Impressive! One glider can be saved by killing two birds with one stone. I'm curious why you think this is the most difficult synthesis. It only uses 106 gliders, while your pipsquirter 1 synthesis uses 276 and takes more than 3 times as many steps, and 42P10.1 uses 238 and takes almost as many. (I know that quantity doesn't always trump quality, but I'm curious which steps you thought were the most difficult.)

Code: Select all

x = 31, y = 19
11bobo$11boo$12bo$9bo$8bobobboo13boo$8boo3boo13boo$bboo18boo$bobbob4o
11bobbob4o$bobo3bobbo10bobo3bobbo$bboboo4bo11boboo4bo$4bob4o14bob4o$3b
obbo16bobbo$3boobbo15boobbo$4boboo16boboo$4bobo17bobo$bboo3b3o12boo3b
3o$bbo7bo11bo7bo$obo6boo9bobo6boo$oo18boo!
EDIT: Original synthesis reduced to 13 gliders by combining two steps:

Code: Select all

x = 123, y = 18, rule = B3/S23
7bo$5bobo$6boo$o$boo5bo$oo6bobo43bo24boo18boo18boo$8boo15bobbo16bobbo
6bo19bobbobo14bobbobo14bobbobo$25b4o16b4o4b3o19b4obobo12b4obobo12b4obo
bo$81boo18boo18boo$10bo14boo18boo7bo20boo18boo18boo$8boo14bobo17bobo7b
oo3bo14bobo17bobo18bo$9boo13boo18boo7boboboo15boo18boo22bo$3boo53boo4b
oo35boo14boo$bbobo58boo36bobo$4bo60bo23b3o4boo3bo$9boo80bo5boo$8bobo
79bo5bo$10bo!
User avatar
Extrementhusiast
Posts: 1970
Joined: June 16th, 2009, 11:24 pm
Location: USA

Re: Synthesising Oscillators

Post by Extrementhusiast »

mniemiec wrote:I'm curious why you think this is the most difficult synthesis. It only uses 106 gliders, while your pipsquirter 1 synthesis uses 276 and takes more than 3 times as many steps, and 42P10.1 uses 238 and takes almost as many. (I know that quantity doesn't always trump quality, but I'm curious which steps you thought were the most difficult.)
(I probably should have said difficulty relative to size, as in cases like the pipsquirter, I knew that what I was getting myself into was going to take a while, due to its size. With the P8 being noticeably smaller, it took a lot longer than I expected.)

I think that difficulty may have had to do with the sheer number of wrong turns I made at extrapolation of the stabilizing portions. When you make three or four custom components that are rendered irrelevant (as you can't get to the place where the component starts), it can be really irritating (although not entirely useless, as those components can be reused in other syntheses). One of the major cases of this happening was this component that wasn't used in the final synthesis:

Code: Select all

x = 46, y = 35, rule = B3/S23
25bo$23b2o$24b2o4$4bo13bo$5bo10b2o$3b3o2bo8b2o$9b2o$8b2o3$42b2o$b2o33b
2o5bo$o2bob2o4b2o22bo2bob3o$obo3bo4b2o22bobo3bo$bob2o31bob2o3bo$3bob4o
2b2o5b2o18bob3obo$2bo2bo2bo2b2o4b2o18bo2bo3bo$3b2o14bo18b2o4b2o3$17b3o
$7bo9bo$7b2o9bo$6bobo3$12b3o$12bo$13bo$5b3o$7bo$6bo!
The fifteenth step (the one immediately before your one-glider savings) was another notable case, as before I had found the left half, I had very little idea about how I was going to do something anywhere close to what I ended up doing. (note on eater bridge L) The right half ended up having to be remade twice, as I had initially thought that I couldn't go anywhere from the integral (and so made a canoe instead), and I had realized that I couldn't get to the stabilization I had used beforehand, involving a bun tied to the upper loaf. I also had to remake the activation step twice, both for the same latter reason.

The sheer density of critical steps near the end was another contributing factor to the difficulty of this synthesis, as I had little or no idea where I was going to start any particular step, until I had finished the previous step. When one usually works backwards, that's a big problem.



On a separate note, how should I organize the component catalogue I have been creating? The classifications at pentadecathlon.com are a good start, but there are some components that seemingly fit into more than one category (hook/tail seems to be the most common overlap), and there are others that seemingly don't fit into any category (like my bun-adding component). Additionally, some component variants don't work in certain situations, which would likely cause them to be placed into different categories than the originals, a big no-no in my book. And when the same glider collision can do different things to different objects....
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)
mniemiec
Posts: 1590
Joined: June 1st, 2013, 12:00 am

Re: Synthesising Oscillators

Post by mniemiec »

Extrementhusiast wrote:When you make three or four custom components that are rendered irrelevant (as you can't get to the place where the component starts), it can be really irritating (although not entirely useless, as those components can be reused in other syntheses).
Yes, I get this too, a lot. What is most irritating is when I try to synthesize something, and I spend a few hours inventing a way to convert X to Y, and only subsequently find that it has already been done long ago, and usually more cheaply, rendering the whole effort moot.
Extrementhusiast wrote:One of the major cases of this happening was this component that wasn't used in the final synthesis: ...
I just added that to my expert system; it solves several still-lifes (1 19, 1 20, 5 21s, and 16 24s; I don't know about 22-23s yet, as apparently the last time I updated it, my list of unsolved 22s and 23s somehow got zeroed, so I have to regenerate them, which will take a few hours).
(EDIT: also 5 22s, 7 23s.)
Extrementhusiast wrote:On a separate note, how should I organize the component catalogue I have been creating?
This has always been a difficult problem. Per a question you raised a few months back, I have added the (around 947) recipes from my expert system to my web page, which will appear once I achieve a stable uploadable version.
Extrementhusiast wrote:The classifications at pentadecathlon.com are a good start, but there are some components that seemingly fit into more than one category (hook/tail seems to be the most common overlap)
If a component has multiple applications, for the convenience of human readers, it makes sense to list it twice. While looking at the above converter, I tried to find where I kept the bottom half, and it wasn't where I would have expected it. I eventually found it under "table to side w/tail", and later also "snake to long hook w/tail". In Dave Buckingham's original syntheses, he had a standard "grow snake by 1" component, and a different, "grow bipole by 1" component. But once I found a slightly less obtrusive version of the bipole extender, I found that it works just as well to extend snakes, so now I use it for both.
Extrementhusiast wrote:and there are others that seemingly don't fit into any category (like my bun-adding component).
It's fine to have a "miscellaneous" category, that people have to examine individually, as long as it's relatively small.
Extrementhusiast wrote:Additionally, some component variants don't work in certain situations, which would likely cause them to be placed into different categories than the originals, a big no-no in my book.
Most converters have certain constraints, which is why many of the converters I have in my lists have multiple variants, some of which work in certain configurations that others don't.
Extrementhusiast wrote:And when the same glider collision can do different things to different objects....
I classify converters based on their input and output, not what gliders are used. If the same combination of gliders has two different results in two different situations, I classify it as two different converters. (As a ludicrously simple example, a single glider can delete a block, or add a boat to a snake - these are clearly different converters, even though they have the same input glider(s).)
Last edited by mniemiec on August 6th, 2016, 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply