Interview with John Conway
Interview with John Conway
An hour long podcast - interviewing John Conway about Martin Gardner, life, the universe
and everything. http://mathfactor.uark.edu/2010/06/ha-c ... n-gardner/
and everything. http://mathfactor.uark.edu/2010/06/ha-c ... n-gardner/
visit my games web site; real time play against real opponents
http://www.boardspace.net/
http://www.boardspace.net/
Re: Interview with John Conway
Fascinating!
Tanx for the link.
triller
Tanx for the link.
triller
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
-- Isaac Asimov
discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
-- Isaac Asimov
- Extrementhusiast
- Posts: 1970
- Joined: June 16th, 2009, 11:24 pm
- Location: USA
Re: Interview with John Conway
I also happened to have an interview with Mr. Conway himself, while I was (and currently still am) in Minnesota.
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)
Re: Interview with John Conway
Wow. Truly amazing.
Also, interesting wording: Martin Gardner, life, the universe, and everything
Makes Martin Garner look very important =P
Also, interesting wording: Martin Gardner, life, the universe, and everything
Makes Martin Garner look very important =P
-
HartmutHolzwart
- Posts: 952
- Joined: June 27th, 2009, 10:58 am
- Location: Germany
Re: Interview with John Conway
Btw, I didn't see any comment neither from JHC himself nor from Bill Gosper on Gemini. They're aware of this progress?
Cheers,
Hartmut
Cheers,
Hartmut
Re: Interview with John Conway
About what? And how did you earn that privilege?I also happened to have an interview with Mr. Conway himself, while I was (and currently still am) in Minnesota.
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!
-
Paul Tooke
- Posts: 111
- Joined: May 19th, 2010, 7:35 am
- Location: Cambridge, UK
Re: Interview with John Conway
Did you get the job?Extrementhusiast wrote:I also happened to have an interview with Mr. Conway himself, while I was (and currently still am) in Minnesota.
Paul
- Extrementhusiast
- Posts: 1970
- Joined: June 16th, 2009, 11:24 pm
- Location: USA
Re: Interview with John Conway
Paul: What job?
calcyman: This was for some math convention for some of the brightest young(-ish) minds in the world. Conway happened to be giving lectures, and you know what happened next.
calcyman: This was for some math convention for some of the brightest young(-ish) minds in the world. Conway happened to be giving lectures, and you know what happened next.
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)
Re: Interview with John Conway
You discussed the Leech lattice, surreal numbers, sporadic groups, E8, icosians, uniform polytopes, and audioactive decay?... and you know what happened next.
In fact, the Leech lattice is the first thing mentioned in Gardner's October 1970 column -- the packing of spheres in 24 dimensions where each sphere is touching 196560 others. I contemplated simulating a cellular automaton on this lattice, but we'll have to wait a while before this computational power becomes available. E8 is a less ambitious option, having only 8 dimensions.
The E8 and Leech lattices are both intimately connected to theoretical physics, especially string theory. The 10 and 26 dimensions are due to the 8 dimensions of E8 and 24 dimensions of the Leech lattice, adjoined to an extra two dimensions.
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!
- Extrementhusiast
- Posts: 1970
- Joined: June 16th, 2009, 11:24 pm
- Location: USA
Re: Interview with John Conway
No, not that. Just about regular Life...
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)
Re: Interview with John Conway
Oh, what a shame. Some of the others (especially uniform polytopes) are equally, if not more, interesting. At least in my opinion, they are.No, not that. Just about regular Life...
Code: Select all
x = 80, y = 20, rule = Wireworld
2.4C8.4C8.CBAC8.4C8.4C8.4C8.4C$.C4.C6.C4.C6.C4.C6.C4.C6.C4.C6.C4.C6.C
4.C$C2.2C2.C4.C2.2C2.C4.C2.2C2.C4.C2.2C2.C4.C2.2C2.C4.C2.2C2.C4.C2.2C
2.C$C.4C.6C.4C.6C.4C.6C.4C.6C.4C.6C.4C.6C.4C.C$C.4C.6C.4C.6C.4C.6C.4C
.6C.4C.6C.4C.6C.4C.C$C2.2C2.C4.C2.2C2.C4.C2.2C2.C4.C2.2C2.C4.C2.2C2.C
4.C2.2C2.C4.C2.2C2.C$.C4.C6.C4.C6.C4.C6.C4.C6.C4.C6.C4.C6.C4.C$2.4C8.
4C8.4C8.4C8.4C8.4C8.4C$27.2C$27.2C$27.2C$27.2C$26.4C$25.C4.C$24.C2.2C
2.C$24.C.4C.C$24.C.4C.C$24.C2.2C2.C$25.C4.C$26.4C!What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!
-
Paul Tooke
- Posts: 111
- Joined: May 19th, 2010, 7:35 am
- Location: Cambridge, UK
Re: Interview with John Conway
Sorry, dump quip. In the UK (I'm east-pondian), when someone says "I had an interview with X", they normally mean a job interview. I was just wondering how one goes about securing an interview with JHC and one thing led to another.Extrementhusiast wrote:Paul: What job?
So what did you actually talk about? You mentioned Life, but what specifically? I'm not entirely sure that JHC is, has been, following recent developments that much. Was it the early stuff?
Paul.
- Extrementhusiast
- Posts: 1970
- Joined: June 16th, 2009, 11:24 pm
- Location: USA
Re: Interview with John Conway
Yes, it was more the early stuff. I didn't know that "interview" typically meant "job interview", because I'm just fourteen.
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)