Interview with John Conway

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
Post Reply
User avatar
ddyer
Posts: 3
Joined: June 23rd, 2010, 6:09 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Interview with John Conway

Post by ddyer »

An hour long podcast - interviewing John Conway about Martin Gardner, life, the universe
and everything. http://mathfactor.uark.edu/2010/06/ha-c ... n-gardner/
visit my games web site; real time play against real opponents
http://www.boardspace.net/
User avatar
triller
Posts: 114
Joined: September 3rd, 2009, 2:41 pm

Re: Interview with John Conway

Post by triller »

Fascinating!
Tanx for the link.

triller
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
-- Isaac Asimov
User avatar
Extrementhusiast
Posts: 1970
Joined: June 16th, 2009, 11:24 pm
Location: USA

Re: Interview with John Conway

Post by Extrementhusiast »

I also happened to have an interview with Mr. Conway himself, while I was (and currently still am) in Minnesota.
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)
wylx
Posts: 5
Joined: July 1st, 2010, 4:59 pm
Location: California

Re: Interview with John Conway

Post by wylx »

Wow. Truly amazing.

Also, interesting wording: Martin Gardner, life, the universe, and everything

Makes Martin Garner look very important =P
HartmutHolzwart
Posts: 952
Joined: June 27th, 2009, 10:58 am
Location: Germany

Re: Interview with John Conway

Post by HartmutHolzwart »

Btw, I didn't see any comment neither from JHC himself nor from Bill Gosper on Gemini. They're aware of this progress?

Cheers,
Hartmut
User avatar
apg
Moderator
Posts: 3007
Joined: June 1st, 2009, 4:32 pm

Re: Interview with John Conway

Post by apg »

I also happened to have an interview with Mr. Conway himself, while I was (and currently still am) in Minnesota.
About what? And how did you earn that privilege?
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!
Paul Tooke
Posts: 111
Joined: May 19th, 2010, 7:35 am
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: Interview with John Conway

Post by Paul Tooke »

Extrementhusiast wrote:I also happened to have an interview with Mr. Conway himself, while I was (and currently still am) in Minnesota.
Did you get the job? :)

Paul
User avatar
Extrementhusiast
Posts: 1970
Joined: June 16th, 2009, 11:24 pm
Location: USA

Re: Interview with John Conway

Post by Extrementhusiast »

Paul: What job?

calcyman: This was for some math convention for some of the brightest young(-ish) minds in the world. Conway happened to be giving lectures, and you know what happened next.
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)
User avatar
apg
Moderator
Posts: 3007
Joined: June 1st, 2009, 4:32 pm

Re: Interview with John Conway

Post by apg »

... and you know what happened next.
You discussed the Leech lattice, surreal numbers, sporadic groups, E8, icosians, uniform polytopes, and audioactive decay? :lol:

In fact, the Leech lattice is the first thing mentioned in Gardner's October 1970 column -- the packing of spheres in 24 dimensions where each sphere is touching 196560 others. I contemplated simulating a cellular automaton on this lattice, but we'll have to wait a while before this computational power becomes available. E8 is a less ambitious option, having only 8 dimensions.

The E8 and Leech lattices are both intimately connected to theoretical physics, especially string theory. The 10 and 26 dimensions are due to the 8 dimensions of E8 and 24 dimensions of the Leech lattice, adjoined to an extra two dimensions.
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!
User avatar
Extrementhusiast
Posts: 1970
Joined: June 16th, 2009, 11:24 pm
Location: USA

Re: Interview with John Conway

Post by Extrementhusiast »

No, not that. Just about regular Life...
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)
User avatar
apg
Moderator
Posts: 3007
Joined: June 1st, 2009, 4:32 pm

Re: Interview with John Conway

Post by apg »

No, not that. Just about regular Life...
Oh, what a shame. Some of the others (especially uniform polytopes) are equally, if not more, interesting. At least in my opinion, they are.

Code: Select all

x = 80, y = 20, rule = Wireworld
2.4C8.4C8.CBAC8.4C8.4C8.4C8.4C$.C4.C6.C4.C6.C4.C6.C4.C6.C4.C6.C4.C6.C
4.C$C2.2C2.C4.C2.2C2.C4.C2.2C2.C4.C2.2C2.C4.C2.2C2.C4.C2.2C2.C4.C2.2C
2.C$C.4C.6C.4C.6C.4C.6C.4C.6C.4C.6C.4C.6C.4C.C$C.4C.6C.4C.6C.4C.6C.4C
.6C.4C.6C.4C.6C.4C.C$C2.2C2.C4.C2.2C2.C4.C2.2C2.C4.C2.2C2.C4.C2.2C2.C
4.C2.2C2.C4.C2.2C2.C$.C4.C6.C4.C6.C4.C6.C4.C6.C4.C6.C4.C6.C4.C$2.4C8.
4C8.4C8.4C8.4C8.4C8.4C$27.2C$27.2C$27.2C$27.2C$26.4C$25.C4.C$24.C2.2C
2.C$24.C.4C.C$24.C.4C.C$24.C2.2C2.C$25.C4.C$26.4C!
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!
Paul Tooke
Posts: 111
Joined: May 19th, 2010, 7:35 am
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: Interview with John Conway

Post by Paul Tooke »

Extrementhusiast wrote:Paul: What job?
Sorry, dump quip. In the UK (I'm east-pondian), when someone says "I had an interview with X", they normally mean a job interview. I was just wondering how one goes about securing an interview with JHC and one thing led to another.

So what did you actually talk about? You mentioned Life, but what specifically? I'm not entirely sure that JHC is, has been, following recent developments that much. Was it the early stuff?

Paul.
User avatar
Extrementhusiast
Posts: 1970
Joined: June 16th, 2009, 11:24 pm
Location: USA

Re: Interview with John Conway

Post by Extrementhusiast »

Yes, it was more the early stuff. I didn't know that "interview" typically meant "job interview", because I'm just fourteen.
I Like My Heisenburps! (and others)
Post Reply