Code: Select all
x = 7, y = 7, rule = B3/S23
2b2o$bob3o$bo4bo$2o3b2o$o4bo$b3obo$3b2o!
Code: Select all
x = 7, y = 7, rule = B3/S23
2b2o$bob3o$bo4bo$2o3b2o$o4bo$b3obo$3b2o!
Code: Select all
x = 25, y = 15, rule = B3/S23
23bo$22bobo$21b2o$24bo$20bo3bo$17bo2bo$16bobo2b4o$15bo2bo$16bobo2b4o$
2b2o13bo2bo$bobo16bo3bo$bo22bo$2o19b2o$22bobo$23bo!
Code: Select all
x = 31, y = 21, rule = B3/S23
2b2o$3bo$3bobo$4b2o$18b4o5bo2bo$2o16bo3bo3bo$bo16bo7bo3bo$bobo15bo2bo
3b4o$2b2o$23b2o$23b2o$23b2o$2b2o$bobo15bo2bo3b4o$bo16bo7bo3bo$2o16bo3b
o3bo$18b4o5bo2bo$4b2o$3bobo$3bo$2b2o!
Code: Select all
x = 36, y = 17, rule = B3/S23
8bobo$8bo3b3o$6b2o5b2o10b3o$6b2o3bo6bo6b2o$9bob2o2b2obo8bo2bo$5bo3bo6b
o2b2obob2obo3bo$2bo2bo6bo3b4o3b2o2b3o3bobo$bobo2b6o8bo2bo2b3ob4obo$o2b
o18bo3b2o$bobo2b6o8bo2bo2b3ob4obo$2bo2bo6bo3b4o3b2o2b3o3bobo$5bo3bo6bo
2b2obob2obo3bo$9bob2o2b2obo8bo2bo$6b2o3bo6bo6b2o$6b2o5b2o10b3o$8bo3b3o
$8bobo!
Code: Select all
x = 11, y = 7, rule = B3/S23
2b2o$2b2o3$b2o5b3o$obo5bo$bo7bo!
Code: Select all
x = 9, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
b2o$o2bo$b2o4b2o$6b2o$7bo!
Code: Select all
x = 28, y = 33, rule = B3/S23
6bob2o2bob2o2bob2o2bob2o$6b2obo2b2obo2b2obo2b2obo2$6b3o3b3o3b3o3b3o$3b
o2bo2bo2bo2bo2bo2bo2bo2bo$3b3o3b3o3b3o3b3o3bo$b2o3b3o3b3o3b3o3b3o$o2bo
2bo2bo2bo2bo2bo2bo2bo$o2b3o3b3o3b3o3b3o$b2o3b3o3b3o3b3o3b3o$3bo2bo2bo
2bo2bo2bo2bo2bo2bo$3b3o3b3o3b3o3b3o3bo$b2o3b3o3b3o3b3o3b3o$o2bo2bo2bo
2bo2bo2bo2bo2bo$o2b3o3b3o3b3o3b3o$b2o3b3o3b3o3b3o3b3o$3bo2bo2bo2bo2bo
2bo2bo2bo2bo$3b3o3b3o3b3o3b3o3bo$b2o3b3o3b3o3b3o3b3o$o2bo2bo2bo2bo2bo
2bo2bo2bo$o2b3o3b3o3b3o3b3o$b2o3b3o3b3o3b3o3b3o$3bo2bo2bo2bo2bo2bo2bo
2bo2bo$3b3o3b3o3b3o3b3o3bo$b2o3b3o3b3o3b3o3b3o$o2bo2bo2bo2bo2bo2bo2bo
2bo$o2b3o3b3o3b3o3b3o$b2o3b3o3b3o3b3o3b3o$3bo2bo2bo2bo2bo2bo2bo2bo2bo$
3b3o3b3o3b3o3b3o2b2o2$3b2obo2b2obo2b2obo2b2obo$3bob2o2bob2o2bob2o2bob
2o!
Generally objects this size or bigger won't have common names, but this one has been called Shuriken.fsrm wrote:How called this still life?Code: Select all
x = 7, y = 7, rule = B3/S23 2b2o$bob3o$bo4bo$2o3b2o$o4bo$b3obo$3b2o!
Code: Select all
x = 8, y = 8, rule = B3/S23
2obo$ob2o$4b2o$b2obobo$bobob2o$2b2o$4b2obo$4bob2o!
fsrm wrote:New blinker-traffic light fuse?
fsrm wrote:New blinker fuse?
These have been known for a long time.fsrm wrote:New blinker-tl fuse?
All still-lifes and pseudo-still-lifes up to 24 bits, all period 2 oscillators and pseudo-oscillators up to 21 bits, and all period 3 oscillators and pseudo-oscillators up to 20 bits have been exhaustively searched by computer, so it is not possible to make any new discoveries in those areas. Also, all other oscillators and pseudo-oscillators have been searched up to 21 bits, so while it is possible that some have been overlooked, it is extremely unlikely.fsrm wrote:An extensible p2 muttering moat:
fsrm wrote:A fuse that produces bookends:
fsrm wrote:A fuse that produces beehives:
fsrm wrote:And a 5c/3 p30 beehive fuse:
Fuses are generally not considered interesting, because they are so easy to find.fsrm wrote:A p4 clean fuse:
fsrm wrote:42-step herschel conduit with gliders (second glider on the same path):
When Dave Buckingham first developed B heptmino technology, one of the basic facts was that B heptminos initially drop an annoyong block directly behind them. Since it is directly in the path, one can't place still-lifes or oscillators to conveniently remove it without being in the way of the advancing B heptomino. This is why the technology uses herschels rather than B-heptominos - the goal is not to re-form the B-heptomino (with its annoying block), but rather a later phase, after the block has been dropped, that ultimately evolves into a herschel. Otherwise, one requires an input glider just to clean up the block.fsrm wrote:How about a herschel track with guns? I made this:
Ways of synthesizing objects are usually not interesting unless they have never been synthesized before, or they are cheaper than any previous synthesis, or they are less obtrusive - i.e. can produce the object in a position or orientation that previous syntheses can't easily do. Toads can be made from 3 gliders, so this is certainly not the cheapest. However, the fact that this toad is generated at an active corner of the reaction area means this might possibly be useful.fsrm wrote:Block turns a herschel into a toad:
fsrm wrote:A p2 oscillators in dotlife:
Discoveries for rules other than Life are not appropriate in the Patterns section. See the "Other cellular automata" forums instead. There is a thread "Thread for Your Accidental Discoveries that Aren't in CGOL" there specifically for rules that don't have a specific thread devoted to them.fsrm wrote:A p2 and p4 wicks in the seeds. First looks like a barberpole.
These days, breeders generally aren't interesting, unless they exhibit some new feature (e.g. a new expansion rate, a different structure, etc.) that has not been done before. Extruding an ever-lenghthening Herschel conduit is certainly an interesting idea, but I think it's been done before. Nevertheless, constructing a pattern like this is certainly a good idea for a beginner, to learn how to use various tools, although it's likely not worthy of posting to the forums.fsrm wrote:I made a breeder:
It depends on what you mean by "useful". Likely not. This is certainly not new. Even if it were not explicitly instantiated, it consists of extensible components that have been long known.fsrm wrote:This oscillator can be useful?
This (and many other similar reactions) have been long known. In order for this to be of any use, you would need a spaceship that travels to the left at the same speed, leaving a v-spark behind it; the bracket would just be an optional tag-along for it. Finding the ship itself would be the real challenge.fsrm wrote:I found a 5c/12 reaction. This can be useful? (slightly slower that the schick engine)
Not practical, as it would require a mechanism to replace the blinker every 8 generations. Even if such as mechanism were possible, it couldn't work here, as the trailing v-spark doesn't disappear until generation 7, leaving insufficient time to replace the blinker.fsrm wrote:And also I found a 4-gen shuttle reaction:
What are you trying to do? It is much easier to eat a beehive, and finding new period-3 oscillators is so easy it is not interesting.fsrm wrote:I found this. How to remove the 3 extra cells in gen 3?
I don't know if it has a name, or if it has been found before. There is a 26-bit quadratic growth pattern, so this is not a record-holder, but at a mere 28 bits, it is certainly noteworthy. Congratulations!fsrm wrote:How called this 38-cell breeder?
Most still-lifes don't have specific names. Small ones and ones with notable properties (e.g. unusual shapes, special functionality, etc.) have been given names. All up to 24 bits have been assigned arbitrary numbers to make them easy to identify. This particular still-life is 20.21877. It's also called "Shuriken", due to its similarity to the so-named throwing star.fsrm wrote:How called this still life?
fsrm wrote:Dart can be eaten with one eater:
For purposes of building Life circuitry, it is only possible to use spaceships that are constructible. It is only practical to use spaceships that can be constructed cheaply, and most practical to use the basic spaceships (glider, LWSS, MWSS, HWSS). While it may be an interesting exercise to build guns for darts and hive-nudgers (and it is an interesting exercise to be able to eat them), it is unlikely that any practical Life construction will actually use them internally, so such pursuits are academic rather than practical. Eaters for exotic spaceships are almost never noteworthy.fsrm wrote:A hivenudger eater:
This (plus most of your discoveries posted here) are not new. Before posting, you should first check to see whether or not someone else has already made the same discovery. You must remember that Life has been around for well over 4 decades, and even though many of the technologies currently bsing used are fairly recent, most of them have been in common use for at least a decades themselves. You must realize that all the "low-hanging fruit" has been picked clean for a long time. Any new discoveries that can be made with just a few minutes of work have likely already been made many, many times already by many, many people.fsrm wrote:I found a c/3 p6 spaceship based on pushalong for dart:
Transparent reactions are typically those that destroy object(s) and reform them, typically with no collateral damage. In this case, another boat is changed into a beehive, making this not particularly useful (nor uncommon).fsrm wrote:I found this transparent reaction:
Stable agars (and even period 2 ones) are not particularly interesting nor notable, as they are very easy to find.fsrm wrote:A stable agar:
If you feel up to the challenge of creating one, by all means, make one. A pattern whose population is O(n^log2(3)) is interesting. I'm not sure if it has been done before, but it would certainly be a good exercise regardless.fsrm wrote:How about a sierpinski triangle breeder?
Oscillators are typically distinguished by their rotors; their stators can usually be easily changed, with the smallest in terms of population or bounding box being the most interesting. This has the same rotor as the beacon. Sometimes, the bushing is considered important (e.g. to distinguish beaon from 1-beacon, blinker from bipole and fore-and-back), but all small-rotor oscillators (especially period 2 ones) have been studied exhaustively long ago.fsrm wrote:I found this on-off:
Code: Select all
x = 10, y = 10, rule = B3/S23
4b2o$3bo2bo$3bobo$b2ob2o2bo$o2bo2b2obo$ob2o2bo2bo$bo2b2ob2o$4bobo$3bo
2bo$4b2o!
It shows up very commonly in Catagolue in symmetric searches. Don't know if anyone ever came up with a name for it. Really I'm not sure it needs one -- Catagolue has seen an awful lot of unnamed oscillators by now.muzik wrote:I think I just discovered a new oscillator.
Code: Select all
x = 10, y = 10, rule = B3/S23 4b2o$3bo2bo$3bobo$b2ob2o2bo$o2bo2b2obo$ob2o2bo2bo$bo2b2ob2o$4bobo$3bo 2bo$4b2o!
I was kind of lying when I said just, because I discovered it all the way back in June 2014.dvgrn wrote:It shows up very commonly in Catagolue in symmetric searches. Don't know if anyone ever came up with a name for it. Really I'm not sure it needs one -- Catagolue has seen an awful lot of unnamed oscillators by now.muzik wrote:I think I just discovered a new oscillator.
Code: Select all
x = 10, y = 10, rule = B3/S23 4b2o$3bo2bo$3bobo$b2ob2o2bo$o2bo2b2obo$ob2o2bo2bo$bo2b2ob2o$4bobo$3bo 2bo$4b2o!
[The oscillator wasn't in Mark Niemiec's database, so I tried biggiemac's very useful Script for the Extra Lazy. Thanks, biggiemac!]
http://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 8&start=38muzik wrote:I think I just discovered a new oscillator.
Code: Select all
x = 10, y = 10, rule = B3/S23 4b2o$3bo2bo$3bobo$b2ob2o2bo$o2bo2b2obo$ob2o2bo2bo$bo2b2ob2o$4bobo$3bo 2bo$4b2o!
well then.A for awesome wrote:http://conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 8&start=38muzik wrote:I think I just discovered a new oscillator.
Code: Select all
x = 10, y = 10, rule = B3/S23 4b2o$3bo2bo$3bobo$b2ob2o2bo$o2bo2b2obo$ob2o2bo2bo$bo2b2ob2o$4bobo$3bo 2bo$4b2o!
To be honest, I have no idea.muzik wrote:well then.
When was the first "discovery" of this pattern?
I found it in the jslife osc collection.muzik wrote: well then.
When was the first "discovery" of this pattern?
Code: Select all
x = 9, y = 9, rule = B3/S23
4bo$3bobo$2bobobo$bo2bo2bo$ob2ob2obo$bo2bo2bo$2bobobo$3bobo$4bo!
Code: Select all
x = 5, y = 3, rule = B3/S23
o2b2o$2b3o$o2b2o!
Code: Select all
x = 12, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
o3b4o3bo$bobo4bobo$2b2o4b2o$bobo4bobo$o3b4o3bo!
I found that yesterdayfsrm wrote:How called this?Code: Select all
x = 9, y = 9, rule = B3/S23 4bo$3bobo$2bobobo$bo2bo2bo$ob2ob2obo$bo2bo2bo$2bobobo$3bobo$4bo!
Code: Select all
x = 9, y = 19, rule = B3/S23
2bo$bobo$bobo$bo2$2o$bobo$b2o$2bo$3bo2bo$7bo$4b2o$5bo$5b3o$6bo$8bo$6b
2o$6b2o$8bo!
Code: Select all
x = 10, y = 38, rule = B3/S23
2bo$bo$2o$2bo$2b2ob2o$2b2ob2o$3bobob2o$7b2o$3b5obo$3bo4bo$3b2o3b2o$5b
4o$6b2o2$5b3o$5b3o2$2b3o$2b3o2$3bobo$3b2o$5bo2$2b3o2b3o$3bobo$2bob2o$
2bo5bo$3b6o$bo5b3o$2ob2o4bo$bo2b3o$b2o$3bo$2bo$2bobo$2bobo$3bo!
Code: Select all
x = 23, y = 99, rule = B3/S23
4b3o10$5bo$5bo$5bo10$4b3o10$5bo$5bo$5bo10$4b3o10$5bo$5bo$5bo10$4b3o10$
5bo$5bo$5bo10$4b3o$15bo$15b2o$15b2o$17bo$17b3o$o17bo$o$o20b2o$15b2o4b
2o$15b2o!