Sphenocorona wrote:Because there's so much room with this method, there's probably a lot of room for improvement (reducing the 8 glider (!) setup of the dentral pattern to something more reasonable like 3 gliders).
Well, here's the central part in 5 gliders (for a total of 12), but I'm sure that can be improved further:
Sphenocorona wrote:Because there's so much room with this method, there's probably a lot of room for improvement (reducing the 8 glider (!) setup of the dentral pattern to something more reasonable like 3 gliders).
Well, here's the central part in 5 gliders (for a total of 12), but I'm sure that can be improved further:
Well, their histories overlap but they don't interact. This might be a call for better SE recognition. Or, since they seem to be rare enough, perhaps it will suffice to observe all flagged-as-nonstandard-SE and perform correction ourselves.
x = 10, y = 14, rule = B3/S23
b2o$o2bo$obo$2o3$7bo$4b3o$3bo$3bobo$4b2o2$8b2o$8b2o!
former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)
The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...
Cool! Apparently, one of my instances found that one. The haul has already scrolled off though.
Kazyan wrote:I'm surprised that the 10th object in that set hasn't shown up yet--no hook motif, long diagonal chain of bits, or extended snake-ish structure.
x = 53, y = 52, rule = B3/S23
51bo$50bo$50b3o22$32bo$31bo$22bo8b3o$23bo$21b3o4$18b3o$20bo$19bo$23b2o
$22bobo$24bo9$2o$b2o$o$4bo$4b2o$3bobo!
Nice! One of the things I am currently working on is synthesizing all 18-bit P2 oscillators (or at least as many as possible), and this one didn't look easy. I just saw this come up on the twitter feed tonight, and from how it formed, I figured it could be made from 8 (5 gliders for the engine - 2 for traffic light + 3 for butterfly), but I thought I would check here first, to see if anyone had already done so (which you did, and more cheaply). It turns out that the engine, when left to its own devices, forms a common constellation I call "W": a ship, two blocks, and two blinkers. There are dozens of ways to make it from 3 gliders: http://codercontest.com/mniemiec/20/20shb2b2.rle. This means there are many ways to make this from just 6 gliders, e.g.:
x = 10, y = 11, rule = B3/S23
2o$obo$b2o$3b2o$3bobo$4b2o2$6b3o$9bo$9bo$8bo!
Anytime there's a ship-tie-X, it likely indicates a ship-to-X component, or a fleet was disturbed during its formation. It's how I found this really weird component:
A very interesting still-life showed up in the soup search: http://catagolue.appspot.com/object/xs3 ... 1e96/b3s23.
What makes this so interesting is that it has rotational symmetry, and a fairly complex structure, but both halves form in completely different ways, and the object is asymmetric until the generation immediately before it stabilizes.
Also, a symmetric Longlife (B345/S5) soup yielded the first (to my knowledge) period 1000 oscillator in the Catagolue: https://catagolue.appspot.com/object/xp ... 221/b345s5 I think this is the highest period an oscillator can have while still being detected properly and not declared pathological by apgsearch (right?).
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb